| || |
'''Hotel Black Rock , ''' Bank More , Telephone +91 326 307644 |+|
* Hotel Black RockBank More+91 326 307644
'''Hotel Sky Lark , ''' Bank More , Telephone +91 326 305284 |+|
* Hotel Sky LarkBank More+91 326 305284
'''Hotel Vashundra, ''' Hirapur , Telephone +91 326 202215 |+|
* Hotel Hirapur+91 326 202215
'''Hotel Susant International , ''' Near Pooja Cinema Hall , Telephone +91 326 201655 |+|
* Hotel Susant InternationalPooja Cinema Hall+91 326 201655
'''Hotel Woodland , ''' Chiragora , Telephone +91 326 202378 |+|
* Hotel WoodlandChiragora+91 326 202378
| || |
Revision as of 23:33, 15 January 2009
Dhanbad  is a city in Jharkhand.
The coalfields around Dhanbad are known as Jharia coalfields. It covers an area of around 448 sq km, the total reserve of coal is estimated at 5,000 million tonnes. Jharia coalfields are the only source of coking or metallurgical coal in the country. There are 112 coal mines in the district. Jharia town adjacent to Dhanbad is considered a separate town administratively. Munidih Colliery is the Largest Colliery in India. ONGC is using CBM(Coal Beded Methane) for Producing Electricity at many places of Dhanbad.
TATA POWER along with DVC is setting up 1050 MW Thermal power plant in Dhanbad.
It has chemical plants, other industries, and produces Mica and many different minerals.
The nearest commercial airport is at Ranchi, 170 km from Dhanbad kolkata 250 km. Patna is 325 km away. Dhanbad has an airstrip for small planes.MDLR airlines and Air india is also planning to launch domestic services.
Kolkata is 259 km from Dhanbad. Some of the convenient trains connecting Kolkata and Dhanbad are:
- 2019/2020 Howrah-Ranchi Shatabdi Express (no train on Sunday)
- 3317/ 3318 Black Diamond Express
- 3029/3030 Coalfield Express.
Some of the long distance trains passing through Dhanbad are:
- 2301/2302 Howrah New Delhi Rajdhani Express (no train departing Howrah on Sunday, no train departing New Delhi on Friday)
- 2313/2314 Sealdah New Delhi Rajdhani Express.
- 2381/2382 Howrah-New Delhi Poorva Express (train departing Howrah on Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday; train departing New Delhi on Monday, Tuesday, Friday)
- 2311/2312 Howrah Delhi Kalka Mail
- 2321/2322 Howrah Mumbai Mail (via Allahabad)
- 3009/3010 Howrah Dehra Dun Doon Express
- 3151/3152 Sealdah Jammu Tawi
- 3025/3026 Howrah Bhopal (departing Howrah on Monday, departing Bhopal on Wednesday)
- 1448/1449 Howrah Jabalpur Shaktipunj Express
- 1159/1160 Howrah Gwalior Chambal Express (departing Howrah on Tuesday, Wednesday, Sunday; departing Gwalior on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- 9306/9305 Howrah Indore Shipra Express (departing Howrah on Monday, Thursday, Saturday; depating Indore on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday)
- 2942/2941 Asansol Ahmedabad Parashnath Express (departing Asansol on Thursday, departing Ahmedabad on Tuesday)
- 3403/3404 and 3405/3406 Ranchi Bhagalpur Vananchal Express
- 8621/8622 Patna Hatia Pataliputra Express
- 8624/8623 Hatia Rajendranagar Express.
For timings etc. check with Indian Railways.
Dhanbad is just off Grand Trunk Road (NH 2). One can drive into Dhanbad from Govindpur or Rajganj. It is connected via Chas and Bokaro Steel City to Ramgarh and via Chas and Muri to Ranchi. Most of the important cities and towns of Jharkhand Bengal and Bihar have bus links with Dhanbad. It has a large bus station about 2 km from the railway station.Luxory volvo buses plays between Dhanbad-kolkata,Dhanbad-Ranchi.auto rikshaw are popular transport links with neighbouring towns and in the coalfields, but these are generally overcrowded. Autos are now used for transportation as compared to trekkers and they are quite economical
Hired cars and taxis are available at the railway station 24x7. Auto rickshaws are also available till late night it is also a cheap mode of transport because rickshaw wala's demand more.
Languages spoken in the area are Hindi, Bengali, Punjabi and Santhali. Dhanbad is a cosmopolitan city with people from all over the country. English is understood in most of the areas of visitor/business interest.
- Two types of Coal Mines – the open cast and underground. Advance permission has to be procured from Bharat Coking Coal Ltd.  for visiting any of their mines. Sudamdih is worth a visit.
- Indian School of Mines (ISM)  is an institute of national importance, located in Dhanbad. It was established in 1926.
- Central Mining Research Institute (CMRI),  Dhanbad is one of the national laboratories of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Government of India. This laboratory was established in 1956 for carrying out Research and Development work in the field of mining and cognate subjects to make mining safe, productive, environment friendly and economical as well as reduce health hazards to miners and environmental pollution and degradation created due to mining and associated industrial activities.
- Central Fuel Research Institute(CFRI),  Digwadih, Dhanbad.
- Besides these, DAMS Worth paying a visit for their scenic beauty are MAITHON,PANCHET & TOPCHANCHI. All these Dams are on Damodar River and are famous picnic spots.
Carnivals are arranged by Lions Club, Rotary Club and other clubs, mostly in winter and these are open to visitors also.
Dhanbad is surrounded by beautiful picnic spots. People are very helpful and friendly and love visitors.
The shops are well stocked and are are laden with huge collection of jeans, leather bags and casual wears.
You can visit city center which has all major brands Spyker,Reebok,Adidas,United colours of Benetton,Bata etc.
Dhanbad already have an two outlet of Vishal Mega Mart and BIG BAZAR at Saraidhela having space of 20000 to 40000 sq feet.
You will see Reliance fresh almost every part of the city.
- Mani's Cafe, Near ISM Main Gate.
There are restaurants, small eateries and sweetmeat shops throughout the city. It is famous for its rich delicacies which is influenced by mixed culture from all parts of India.
Lately Dhanbad has a lot of food joints opening up, like Cafe Coffee Day, 21 Farenheit & lots more in Shastri Nagar & Bank More areas. Also in places like Bartand housing colony, Steel Gate you will find Fine Dining Restaurants.
Madhulika has been a Famous name in Dhanbad for quite sometime.
Chat and Puckas are very famous....
It is a very modern place for hangouts with pubs and restaurants.
- Seventeen Degree, Bank More. A very urbane restaurant with a separate bar. One can enjoy delicious meal in a great ambiance at reasonable price here.
- Hotel Black Rock, Bank More, ☎ +91 326 307644.
- Hotel Sky Lark, Bank More, ☎ +91 326 305284.
- Hotel Vashundhara, Hirapur, ☎ +91 326 202215.
- Hotel Susant International, (near Pooja Cinema Hall), ☎ +91 326 201655.
- Hotel Woodland, Chiragora, ☎ +91 326 202378.
- Topchanchi - about 37 km from Dhanbad, it is situated on the Grand Trunk Road. The Parasnath Hill is located nearby. The Topchanchi Water Reservoir spreads over an area of 214 acres. It is a noted picnic spot
- Maithon Dam – one of the dams under control of the Damodar Valley Corporation has a scenic artificial lake. It is situated about 48 km from Dhanbad and about 5 km off Grand Trunk Road.
- Panchet Dam – another dam under control of Damodar Valley Corporation. It is situated about 54 km from Dhanbad and about 9 km off Grand Trunk Road.
- Sindri – is about 25 km from Dhanbad. It was home to one of the early fertliser plants set up in the country but since closed. Bihar Institute of Technology is located here.
- Central Fuel Research Institute, Digwadih, about 15 km from Dhanbad.
- Parasnath Hills – highest peak in the state, 1,350 meters, is a Jain pilgrimage center, around 50 km from Dhanbad.
- Bhatinda Fall 14 Km from Railway Station is also a well known tourist place.
- Lilori Sthan(near Katras)- is about 22 Km from Dhanbad Railway Station, is famous for Goddess Kali temple.
- Bokaro Steel City - 50 km from Dhanbad.
- Asansol - 60 km from Dhanbad.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!