Devils Lake  is a small city in Ramsey County, in the northeastern area of North Dakota. It has a population of about 7,141 people in 2010 census. Its elevation is 1,475 feet and its amp coordinates are latitude 48.11 N & longitude 98.86 W.
Devils Lake is also the name of North Dakota's largest natural lake, with 120,00 acres of surface area and 375 miles of shoreline. As such, it is the focus of numerous recreational and tourist activities, including boating, fishing, swimming, water skiing, photography, etc. The lake is also a natural habitat for various species of waterfowl, which makes it a popular spot for nature lovers, photographers, hunters and birders. Hiking, biking, camping are also popular activities. Scenic drives abound.
Devils Lake offers year round activities for the tourist. In the winter, cross country skiing, snowmobiling and ice fishing are but a few of the options. Many resorts and lodges surround the lake.
- By car: US highway 2 about 85 miles west of Grand Forks
- By air: Devils Lake Municipal Airport provides scheduled service on Delta Air Lines.
- By train:  Devils Lake is served by Amtrak's "Empire Builder" passenger train which stops daily once per day in each direction en route between Chicago and Seattle/Portland via Milwaukee, Wisconsin Dells, La Crosse, Winona, St. Paul/Minneapolis, St. Cloud, Fargo-Moorhead, Grand Forks, Minot, Williston, Wolf Point, Havre, Cut Bank, Glacier National Park, Whitefish, Sandpoint, Spokane, Wenatchee, Everett, Pasco-Richland-Kennewick, and Vancouver, WA. The Devils Lake station is not staffed with a ticket agent, but one is available about 60 miles to the west at Rugby (Monday-Friday only) and daily about 85 miles to the east in Grand Forks.
Scenic drives to the east and west of Devils Lake on US Hwy 2. Map
- Devils Lake State Parks, Tel: (701) 766-4015. Fax: (701) 766-4311. Email: [email protected], , three state parks and recreation areas on Devils Lake. Recreational activities include fishing, boating and nature watching. Camping is available at Grahams Island.
- Grahams Island State Park: 10 miles west of Devils Lake on Highway 19, then six miles south.
- Shelvers Grove State Recreation Area: 3 miles east of Devils Lake on Highway 2 but this park has been closed indefinitely due to flooding from the lake.
- Black Tiger Bay State Recreation Area: 7 miles east of Devils Lake, five miles south, then three miles west.
- Lake Region Heritage Center, Old Post Office Museum, 502 Fourth St., Tel: (701) 662-3701. Email: [email protected] Local history exhibits, two art galleries. Open year round Monday to Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM. Admission fee $3, seniors $2.
- Lake Region Heritage House Museum, 416 Sixth St., Tel: (701) 662-3701 or (701) 662-7080, Email: [email protected] Large 1910-era home with artifacts from Lake Region area families. Open Memorial Day to Labor Day, W-Su, 1PM to 4PM. Admission fee $3, seniors $2.
- North Dakota Maritime Museum, corner of Fifth Street and Fourth Avenue, Tel: (701) 662-7031, Fax: (701) 662-7049, Email: [email protected] Memorabilia and artifacts of military service. By appointment.
- Sully's Hill National Game Preserve Drive through game preserve with Buffalo, Elk, Deer and Prairie Dogs. Interpretive Center open until afternoon. $2 per car, $12 annual pass. Visitor are asked to stay in the vehicle once the gates are crossed. Automated gates provide daytime access to the park. Park closes at sunset. It also tends to close when thunderstorms or snow is forecast within 48 hours -- their hours are very, conservative in this regard. Located on Highway 57 (via Highway 20) about 11 miles south of Devils Lake towards Fort Totten. (701) 766-4272.
- Fort Totten State Historic Site
- SAAGA International Speedway, 4374 98th Street NE, Crary, Tel: (701) 398-3383, .
- Devils Run Car Show, Tel: (701) 662-7222, Toll-Free: (800) 233-8048, Fax: (701) 662-2147, . Free to public. Classic cars, muscle cars, sport compact, motorcycles, trucks, music and events. About 1,000 entries every year and the WHOLE town gets behind it. Also see  for DVD sales and more images.
- Spirit Lake Casino & Resort, 7 miles south of Devils Lake on Highway 57, Tel: (701) 766-4888, Fax: (701) 766-1507, Email: [email protected], . Poker, 600-plus slots, bingo, live entertainment, 124 rooms, 4-pools, buffet, full-service marina, RV camping. Open daily, 24 hours.
- Fishing for walleye, pike, perch and white bass in Devils Lake. Annual Devils Lake Fishing Tournament in late June. Tel: (701) 662-4903, Toll-Free: (800) 233-8048, Fax: (701) 662-2147. There is also a fishing tournament in June at the Spirit Lake Casino (see above).
- Auction Barn Cafe, Highway 2, Tel: (701) 662-1012.
- Cedar Inn, Hwy 2 West, Tel: (701) 662-8893.
- The Cove, 1012 Woodland Dr, at the Woodland Resort, Hwy 19 West, Tel: (701) 662-5996.
- Dakotah Buffet, Hwy 57 S, Tel: (701) 766-4747.
- Elks Lodge, 1216 Walnut Street E, Tel: (701) 662-4915.
- Felix's, Highway 2 & 4 Street West, Tel: (701) 662-4941.
- First Buffet House, 320 4th Street, Tel: (701) 662-5888.
- Hot Stuff Pizzeria, Jct Highway 2 & 19, Tel: (701) 662-3435.
- Liquid Bean, 316 4th Ave., Tel: (701) 662-1065.
- Master Bakery, 423 Highway 2 W, Tel: (701) 662-1905.
- Mr. & Mrs. J's, Hwy 2, Tel: (701) 662-8815.
- Old Main Street Cafe, 416 4th St., Tel: (701) 662-8814.
- Ranch Steakhouse, 1109 Highway 20 S,. Tel: (701) 662-6630.
- Taco John's, S. College Drive, Tel: (701) 662-5353.
- White House Cafe, Holiday Mall Shopping Center, Tel: (701) 662-4852.
- Ed's Bar, Highway 20 S, Devils Lake, ND 58301. Tel: (701) 662-8321
- ProZ End of the Line, 101 6th St NE, Devils Lake, ND 58301. Tel: (701) 662-2101
- Thirsty's, 318 4th St, Devils Lake, ND 58301. Tel: (701) 662-4212
- The Ranch Steakhouse, 1119 Hwy 20 South, ☎ 701 662 6630. 4pm Daily.
- The Cove (At Woodland Resort), Hwy 19 South, ☎ 701-662-5996.
- Comfort Inn, 215 US Hwy 2 E, Tel: (701) 662-6760, Fax: (701) 662-8440, .
- Dakota Motor Inn, US Hwy 2 E, Tel: (701) 662-4001.
- Davis Motel, Hwy 2 W, Tel: (701) 662-4927.
- Day's Inn, 1109 Highway 20 S, Tel: (701) 662-5381, Fax: (701) 662-3578, .
- Lakeview Lodge, 5 1/2 miles W on Hwy 19, Tel (701) 665-5060, .
- Super 8 Motel, 1001 Highway 2 E, Tel: (701) 662-8656, Fax: (701) 662-8656 Ext 285, .
- Trails West Motel, Highway 2 E, Tel: (701) 662-5011.
- Whistling Wings Lodge, 611 Lakeshore Drive NW, Tel: (701) 622-3451, .
- Woodland Resort, 3 miles W on Hwy 19, 1012 Woodland Dr, Devils Lake, ND 58301. Tel: (701) 662-5996, .
- Holiday Inn Express, 875 US Hwy 2 E, ☎ 701 665 3200.
There are four other large lakes nearby: Chain Lake, Lake Irvine, Dry Lake and Sweet Water Lake. Stump Lake is about 35 miles southeast in Nelson County.
|Routes through Devils Lake
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Devils Lake, North Dakota