The West Side is in Detroit. While primarily a residential area, west Detroit is home to some great historic neighborhoods. It is bounded by 8 Mile to the north, the city of Redford to the west, Woodward Avenue, Highland Park and M-10 to the east, and Michigan Avenue and the city of Dearborn to the south.
- 8 Mile, . The historic dividing line between older inner-city neighborhoods and more affluent suburbs makes up the northern border of Detroit. The name comes from the Mile Road System, a method used to delineate east/west roads through the Detroit area. The road was the inspiration for the hit movie also called 8 Mile starring rapper Eminem, who grew up near the road. 8 Mile isn't exactly "touristy", but it is quite an experience for those wishing to experience one of the most famous ghettos in America. However, the area is experiencing much redevelopment.
- Palmer Park, bordered by Woodward Avenue to the east, 7 mile road to the north, Fairway Drive to the west, and West McNichols Road to the south. Most of this historic neighborhood/park was made before World War II. The 1960's brought a large influx of gay male residents to the Palmer Park neighborhood. By the 1970's Palmer Park was the center of gay life in Detroit. The area along West McNichols Road consisted of many gay bars and nightclubs. The number is smaller today, but the annual gay pride festival is still held in Palmer Park.
- Palmer Woods, . A private historic neighborhood in the city of Detroit west of Woodward Ave. and north of Palmer Park.
- S.S. Kresge House, 70 West Boston Boulevard, . The mansion of the founder of Kmart, now known as Sears.
- Redford Theatre, 17360 Lahser Road, . Features classic movies and free supervised parking.
- The Shoppes at Gateway Park, at 8 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue. Although still not built, this outdoor mall will be the only one in the city of Detroit. There is expected to be one anchor store, two secondary stores, and dozens of other smaller stores. It is scheduled to be complete sometime in 2011.
- Baker's Keyborad Lounge, . The world's oldest jazz club.
- GiGi's  16920 W. Warren, Detroit. Gay Bar, don't loiter in the parking lot or you might get mugged. Try Ferndale but those will most likely be more expensive. 313.584.6525