| || |
* <sleep name="Hostel Detroit" alt="" address="2700 Vermont St" directions="at Spruce" phone="+1 313 451-0333
" email="firstname.lastname@example.org" fax="" url="http://www.hosteldetroit.com" checkin="2PM" checkout="11AM" price="$25 dorms, $ 40 privates">Backpackers hostel in the North Corktown neighborhood. Open April through October.</sleep> |+|
* <sleep name="Hostel Detroit" alt="" address="2700 Vermont St" directions="at Spruce" phone="+1 313 451-0333" url="http://www.hosteldetroit.com" checkin="2PM" checkout="11AM" price="$25 dorms, $privates">Backpackers hostel in the North Corktown neighborhood. Open April through October.</sleep>
| || |
Revision as of 20:19, 6 July 2012
The West Side is in Detroit. While primarily a residential area, west Detroit is home to some great historic neighborhoods. It is bounded by 8 Mile to the north, the city of Redford to the west, Woodward Avenue, Highland Park and M-10 to the east, and Michigan Avenue and the city of Dearborn to the south.
- 8 Mile, . The historic dividing line between older inner-city neighborhoods and more affluent suburbs makes up the northern border of Detroit. The name comes from the Mile Road System, a method used to delineate east/west roads through the Detroit area. The road was the inspiration for the hit movie also called 8 Mile starring rapper Eminem, who grew up near the road. 8 Mile isn't exactly "touristy", but it is quite an experience for those wishing to experience one of the most famous ghettos in America. However, the area is experiencing much redevelopment.
- Palmer Park, bordered by Woodward Avenue to the east, 7 Mile Road to the north, Fairway Drive to the west, and West McNichols Road to the south. Most of this historic neighborhood/park was made before World War II. The 1960's brought a large influx of gay male residents to the Palmer Park neighborhood. By the 1970's Palmer Park was the center of gay life in Detroit. The area along West McNichols Road consisted of many gay bars and nightclubs. The number is smaller today, but the annual gay pride festival is still held in Palmer Park.
- Palmer Woods, . A private historic neighborhood in the city of Detroit west of Woodward Ave. and north of Palmer Park.
- S.S. Kresge House, 70 West Boston Boulevard, . The mansion of the founder of Kmart, now owned by Sears.
- Lee Plaza, 2240 West Grand Boulevard. Listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, this vacant high-rise apartment building was built in 1928 and designed in the Art Deco architectural style. Located near downtown and midtown, the building rises 15 floors.
- Woodbridge, bounded by Trumbull Street, Calumet Street, Gibson Street, Grand River Avenue, Rosa Parks Boulevard, West Warren Avenue, Wabash Street, Railroad Tracks, and the Edsel Ford Freeway, . Woodbridge is home to many architecturally significant houses, most of which are Victorian-style. The nieghborhood was one of the few that were not affected by Detroit's decay a few decades back. Woodbridge was founded in the late 19th century as a neighborhood for the wealthy, and it still is. When visiting the neighborhood, the Eighth Precinct Station is a must-see. The second oldest police building in Detroit, it is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Redford Theatre, 17360 Lahser Road, . Features classic movies and free supervised parking.
- The Shoppes at Gateway Park, at 8 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue. Although still not built, this outdoor mall will be the only one of its kind in the city of Detroit. There is expected to be one anchor store, two secondary stores, and dozens of other smaller stores. It is scheduled to be complete sometime in 2011.
- Scotty Simpson's Fish and Chips, 22200 Fenkell St (at Dacosta), ☎ +1 313 533-0950, . Tu-Th 11AM-8PM, F 11AM-9PM, Sa 2PM-9PM. In the historic Brightmoor neighborhood (home to the Redford Theatre), is the diner time forgot. You will step back in time and get old-fashioned service at this quaint restaurant with fried fish and chips. There are other meals on the menu, but if you ask for a menu, they will know you are a tourist. $7-15.
- Baker's Keyboard Lounge, 20510 Livernois Ave, ☎ +1 313 345-6300, . The world's oldest jazz club.
- GiGi's, 16920 W Warren, ☎ +1 313 584-6525, . Gay Bar.
- Hostel Detroit, 2700 Vermont St (at Spruce), ☎ +1 313 451-0333 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Backpackers hostel in the North Corktown neighborhood. Open April through October. $25 dorms, $47 privates.