Denton Courthouse on the Square
Denton  is a city in Texas. It is a college town which forms the northern tip of what is known as the Golden Triangle, the other two points being Dallas and Fort Worth, approximately equidistant to the southeast and southwest.
Denton is situated on I-35 at the point where it splits into 35E, heading southeast to Dallas, and 35W, heading southwest to Fort Worth. Depending on the traffic, it takes about 30 minutes from either. If you are coming from Oklahoma City it takes around 4 hours. Highway 380 also connects Denton to Decatur 30 minutes west, and U.S. 75 30 minutes east. The Denton Airport (DTO)is located within the city limits of the City of Denton, only four miles from the central business district and 15 minutes north of the Texas Motor Speedway.
The Denton County Transportation authority runs several bus routes throughout the day. There is also a free shuttle service for UNT, TWU, and NCTC students. Although it is best to rent a car in Denton, you can easily use the buses.Denton County Transportation Authority
- Acoustic Lawn Jam, on the Hickory side of the courthouse. Every Saturday from 10 AM to 1 PM weather permitting, folks bring their fiddles, guitars, banjos, and mandolins for a free-for-all jam session.
- Bayless-Selby House Museum, 317 W Mulberry St, ☎ 940 349 2865, . Tues-Sat 10AM-12PM, 1PM-3PM. A Victorian house from the 1880's offers a glimpse of local history. Free.
- Historic courthouse and the Courthouse–on–the-Square Museum, 110 W Hickory St, ☎ 940-349-2850. Mon-Fri 10AM-4:30PM. Denton's courthouse, built in 1896, houses a museum collection of heirlooms, pottery, and weapons, all artifacts of local history. Free.
- A jazz performance of the University of North Texas' world-famous One O'Clock Lab Band, .
- UNT on the Square, 109 N. Elm St, ☎ 940 369-8257, . M-F, 9AM-5PM (Th until 8PM), Sa 11AM–3PM. An arts and meeting space devoted to presenting UNT arts programming in service to the university and to the community at large. UNT on the Square also houses the UNT Institute for the Advancement of the Arts.
- Arts & Jazz Fest - Every spring - usually the last three days of April - Denton hosts the Denton Arts & Jazz Festival, a city-sponsored event that brings over 200,000 people per year for live music, food, drink, crafts, and recreation at the Civic Center Park. Big-name performers and bands such as Arturo Sandoval and Tower of Power have performed at the Festival.
- University of North Texas Sky Theatre Planetarium, 940 565 3599, .
- Denton Holiday Lighting Festival, . Dance to the sounds of Brave Combo on the Square, enjoy the lights, and partake in the annual Wassail Tasting Contest.
- Denton's historic town square has several good antique and specialty shops.
- Golden Triangle Mall, 2201 S I-35E, 940 566 6024.
- Recycled Books and Records, 200 N.Locust (on the square), ☎ 940 566 5688, . The old opera house now houses a very large locally-owned used book store with a strangely organized but fantastic selection.
- Beth Marie's Old Fashioned Ice Cream, 117 W Hickory St., ☎ 940-384-1818, . After a meal at one of the square's restaurants, head to the south side of the courthouse for some freshly made ice cream in a parlor straight out of the 50's.
- Mi Casita, 110 N Carroll Blvd., ☎ 940 891 1932, . Small Mexican restaurant with decent lunch and dinner but excellent breakfast burritos.
- New York Sub-way, 906 Avenue C, ☎ 940-383-3213. This long-time Denton institution serves up some of the best sandwiches around. There is a second location at 305 W University Dr.
- Fuzzy's Tacos, 115 Industrial (2 blocks east from downtown square), . Unusual taco creations including Fish Tempura tacos.
- Andaman Thai, 508 S Elm St., 940 591 8790, . Best Thai food in Denton. Just off the square.
- Baris, 1407 W Oak St., 940 382 9577, near the UNT Campus. Good Italian food in a unique setting. The garlic rolls keep the locals coming back.
- Denton County Hamburger Co., 113 W Hickory St, 940 383 1022, on the square. Gigantic hamburgers in an Old West setting. The ranch-style beans are an addiction for some of the locals.
- J & J's Pizza, 118 W Oak St, 940 382 7769, , on the town square.
- La Mexicana, 619 S Locust St., 940 483 8019. Very authentic Mexican and Tex-Mex, 5 blocks south of the square on Locust. The lunch specials are very popular with the local Mexican community. Try the tilapia.
- Luigi's, 2317 W University Dr, Ste C-3, 940 591 1988, Italian cuisine with great pizza.
- Metzler's, 628 Londonderry Ln., 940 591 1652, . A take-out joint specializing in barbecue and tradition German sausages.
- Mr. Chopsticks, 1633 Scripture St., 940 382 5437, . Fantastic Chinese and Thai dishes. The sesame chicken and the almond chicken are scrumptious.
- Thai Ocha, 1509 Malone St. (Off University Dr.), ☎ (940) 566-6018, . M-S 11-10pm Su 5-9pm. Great Thai Food. Local restaurant with great service and affordable food. The curry & noodle dishes are fantastic. Mid-Range.
- Yummy's, 210 W University Dr., 940 383 2441. Great Greek restaurant located off University Drive.
- Greenhouse, 600 N Locust, . Steaks and seafood in classy atmosphere with occasional live music.
- Hannah's Off The Square - 111 W Mulberry St, . Casual fine dining restaurant
- Japango, 917 Sunset St., 940 891 6060. Sushi and sashimi, plus other favorites like teriyaki and tempura.
- Loophole Courthouse Spirits & Eatery, 119 W. Hickory, on the square, 940 565 0770, .
- Trail Dust Steak House, 26551 Hwy 380 West, 940 383 4731, . Very famous steakhouse in the country east of town. If you wear a necktie, it may be cut off with scissors by the staff.
- Andy's Bar & Grill, 122 N. Locust, 940 565 5400. Busy bar an music venue right on the square.
- Dan's Silverleaf, 103 Industrial St., 940 320 2000, . One of the best live venues in the DFW area.
- Hailey's . Great live venue that plays host to local and national acts. Funk y Salsa on Tuesday Nights. Fifty-two beers on tap.
- Rockin Rodeo, 1009 Ave. C, 940 565 6611. The local honky-tonk.
- Rubber Gloves Rehearsal Studio, 411 E Sycamore, 940 387 7781, . In the warehouse district east of downtown, this garage venue hosts a lot of great national acts that skip even Dallas.
- Lone Oak Bar & Grill - Holiday Inn Hotel, 1434 Centre Place Drive, Denton, TX 76205 (I35E and Teasley Exit - Behind Johnny Carinos), ☎ 940-383-4100, . 6:00am Breakfast 5:00pm dinner. Great Bar & Grill located in the modern, sleek full service Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites in Denton, TX.
Fry Street area
These establishments are all easy to spot from the corner of Fry Street and Hickory. Note also that it is legal to drink alcohol on the street here until 2:30 AM, provided that it is not in a glass container. It is illegal, however, to carry alcohol onto the UNT campus grounds across the street.
- Cool Beans, 1210 W Hickory St., 940 382 7025. Sports bar with many TV screens, darts, a rooftop patio, and frequent live music by mostly local acts. Try their unique hamburgers. Happy hour specials til 7.
- The Drink - Live music from great local bands.
- Fry Street Tavern, 121 Ave. A, 383 2337.
- Lucky Lou's, 1207 W Hickory St., 940 484 5550, . A happening college bar with pool tables inside and a large outdoor patio in front. Happy hour from 9 to 11.
- Riprock's - Popular bar with a nice covered outdoor seating area
- Best Western Premier Crown Chase Inn & Suites, 2450 Brinker Rd (going north on I-35E, Exit 463, turn right on Brinker Rd, hotel on left behind On The Border), ☎ 940-387-1000, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon. 74 spaciously appointed guest rooms each with pillow top mattresses, cable satellite television with HBO and high-speed Internet access. Complimentary full breakfast. Additional amenities include an outdoor swimming pool, exercise facility, hot tub and cocktail lounge. Business travelers will appreciate the quality meeting, banquet and conference facilities.
- Holiday Inn Express, 4485 North I-35 Denton, (Take I-35 North Toward Hwy 380 Exit # 469, Make a left at the light, a right on Mesa keep straight & make a left on Barcelona followed by a right onto Worthington and a right into the Hotel parking lot), ☎ 940-808-0600, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Brand new hotel form 2009, all rooms include mini-refrigerators and microwaves. All room rates include a hot continental breakfast.
- Heritage Inns Bed and Breakfast cluster, 812-829 North Locust Street, ☎ +1 940 565 6414, . Charming bed and breakfast service in three houses built between 1902 and 1916.
- The Wildwood Inn, 2602 Lillian Miller Parkway, ☎ +1 866 840 0713, . A quaint bed and breakfast in the country side.
- Comfort Suites at the University of North Texas (Comfort Suites @ UNT), 1100 North Interstate 35E (from Dallas exit #466A (McCormick St), from the north exit 465B (Fort Worth Drive or US 377) make u-turn and head north on frontage road, the hotel is on northbound side of I-35E), ☎ 940.898.8510 or toll free 1.866.635.7108, . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Closest hotel to the University of North Texas. A 100% smoke free hotel with large spacious rooms with either 1 King size bed or 2 Queen size beds that includes free wired and wireless high speed internet access. All rooms include microwave and refrigerator along with a free hot breakfast 6:30AM-9:30AM. (33.201315,-97.145851)
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 1434 Centre Place Drive (I35E and Teasley Exit, behind Johnny Carinos), ☎ 940-383-4100, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: noon. Modern, sophisticated decor, jacuzzi suites, onsite restaurant, the Lone Oak Bar & Grille, room service, indoor pool and hot tub.
- Any destination in Dallas or Fort Worth is easily accessible as a day trip.
- Go shopping at the outlet mall just north of town, or at another one 25 minutes north in Gainesville.
- Lake Ray Roberts is 20 minutes north of town. Facilities are minimal however. Follow Locust street north out of town and watch for the sign pointing out the turn to the right.
- Denton makes a convenient place to stay for events at Texas Motor Speedway  a few miles south of town towards Fort Worth.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!