- For other places with the same name, see Dayton (disambiguation).
is a sculpture that retraces the path of the Wright Brothers' first powered airplane flight--located in downtown Dayton.
Dayton is a city of 166,179 in Southwest Ohio. It is the center of a much larger metropolitan area in southwest Ohio, known as the Miami Valley. The area includes a number of smaller towns and suburbs with a population over 500,000.
Dayton is known as the Gem City and it's no wonder. In addition to being the birthplace of aviation (the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, lived here and perfected their design for the first practical aircraft). It is also home to one of the few multi-site National Parks in the U.S.- the Dayton Aviation Heritage Park. There's plenty to do and see in the region - the city itself or the many unique suburbs that surround.
Dayton has a humid continental climate, which means, like the rest of Ohio, sees four very distinct seasons.
- Winters can vary from mild to very cold. Snowfall isn't excessive, however, it's possible and certainly not unheard of that snow can fall at a rate that will cause havoc with traffic.
- Springtime is often cool, with cold and warm days sprinkled throughout the period. As Dayton lies in the upper tip of "Tornado Valley", storms during this period may produce tornadoes, so it's important
- Summers are characteristically hot and humid. While the thermometer may read one number in the summer, it will often feel hotter due to the humidity.
- Autumn in Dayton and Southwest Ohio is usually cool, but temperatures can spike as high as the 90's with a sucker punch of humidity. Storms seem to increase during this period too, which, due to the fluctuation of temperatures can produce extremely dangerous storms with the potential of producing tornadoes late into the year.
- James M. Cox Dayton International Airport, 3600 Terminal Drive (Located in the town of Vandalia), ☎ +1-(937)-454-8200, . James M. Cox Dayton International Airport (DAY, KDAY) is located in the northern part of the metropolitan area. Nonstop service is available to Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Detroit, Miami, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Newark, New York, Orlando, Philadelphia, St. Louis and Washington, D.C. Dayton is the nation's number one 90-minute air market, meaning the city can be reached in 90 minutes or less by 55 percent of the population.
- Interstates 70 and 75, major cross-country routes, meet just north of Dayton near the airport, making Dayton easily accessible by car from almost anywhere in the region.
- I-75 runs from north to south through downtown Dayton. Dayton is less than one hour from Cincinnati and about two and a half hours from Toledo on this road.
- I-70 runs east to west across the northern part of the Dayton area. To the west, Indianapolis is about two hours away; to the east, Columbus is about one hour away.
- U.S. 35 is another important expressway, providing access primarily from places to the east and southeast. The road has been improved to a limited-access freeway as far east as Chillicothe.
- Greyhound, 111 East Fifth Street, ☎ +1-(937)-224-1608, . Ticket office and station is open daily from 5:30 - 23:30.
Travel in the region is easy and you can move from the urban city to the rural county in minutes. The greater dayton regional transit authority has a number of convenient bus routes within Montgomery County if that's your pleasure, but in general, travel by automobile offers the best flexibility. Traffic and congestion is rarely an issue.
- Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Address, ☎ +1-(937)-257-1111, . Wright Patt is a significant part of the local economy with some 23,000 employees and a reason behind most tourism, boasting the National Museum of the U. S. Air Force and the Huffman Prairie Flying Field where the Wright Brothers perfected their flying skills in 1904-05. Wright Patterson is also rumored to be the resting place of a supposed UFO that crashed in Roswell, New Mexico.
- National Museum of the U. S. Air Force, (Follow any highway to Col Glenn Highway, Right on Col Glenn to Wright Bros Pkwy, Turn right on WB Pkwy to Springfield Street, Turn right on Springfield to Museum Entrance. Access through Gate 28B), ☎ +1-(937)-258-1218 (fax: +1-(937)-258-3816), . Hours: Daily 9 - 17. Closed: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.. A huge facility with over 300 aircraft on display from the earliest days of aviation to modern prototypes. It is well maintained and interesting even for non aviation buffs. Highlights include the B-2 (stealth) bomber and mercury space capsule. Admission: Free.
- Huffman Prairie Flying Field & Interpretive Center, 2380 Memorial Road (Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Huffman Prairie Flying Field: Access through Gate 16A), ☎ +1-(937)-425-0008 (email@example.com, fax: +1-(937)-425-0011), . Hours: Interpretive Center: Daily: 8:30 – 17:00; Huffman Prairie Flying Field: Sun. - Tue.; Thurs. - Sat.: 8:00 – 18:00. Huffman Prairie is closed on Wednesdays. Both Huffman Prairie and the Interpretive Center are closed on major holidays. The museum is located on Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and therefore may be subject to unannounced and immediate closures.. Huffman Prairie is part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historic Park which also includes the Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center, the Wright Cycle Company building, the Huffman Prairie Flying Field Interpretive Center, the Paul Laurence Dunbar State Memorial and Carillon Historical Park, which houses the original 1905 Wright Flyer III.
Museums & Galleries
- Wright Cycle Company Complex, 22 South Williams Street, ☎ +1-(937)-225-7705 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1-(937)-225-7706), . Hours: 8:30 – 17:00. Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. The Wright Cycle Company complex consists of two adjoining buildings: the Hoover Block, also known as the Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center and Aviation Trail Visitor Center and Museum, along with the Wright Cycle Company building. The Wright-Dunbar Interpretive Center is the main visitor center for the park, and occupies the restored Hoover Block building. In 1892, the Wrights opened a bicycle repair shop in addition to their printing business. From 1895 until 1897, both businesses were located at 22 South Williams Street, “known as the Wright Cycle Company,” the fourth of five locations for their bicycle business Admission: Free.
- Dayton Art Institute, 456 Belmonte Park North, ☎ +1-(937)-223-5277 (email@example.com), . 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Thursdays and Fridays until 8:00 p.m.), 365 days per year. General admission: Free. Admission to some special exhibitions may require a fee.
- Carillon Park, 1000 Carillon Boulevard, ☎ +1-(937)-293-2841 (fax: +1-(937)-293-5798), . Hours: Mon. - Sat. 9:30 - 17:00, Sunday: Noon - 17:00. Closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day. Carillon Park is an outside historical museum containing original historic homes that have been moved there. It is sort of like Greenfield Village in Michigan, but smaller. It contains artifacts from NCR, the Wright Brothers, and more. Admission: Adults: $8.00, Children (3-17): $5.00, Seniors: $7.00, Members and children (Under 3): Free.
- Dayton International Peace Museum, 208 West Monument Avenue (Located on the southwest corner of Monument Avenue and Wilkinson Street), ☎ +1-(937)-227-3223, . Hours: Tues. - Sat.: 10 - 17, Sun. 13:00 - 17. Closed on major holidays and on days with severe weather.. Admission: Free, but donations greatly appreciated.
- Hoover Historical Center, 1875 East Maple Street N.W, inside Hoover Park. "Sweeping Changes" display, boyhood home of Hoover Company founder, William H. "Boss" Hoover. History of cleaning devices, vacuum cleaner technology, antique cleaning devices and manual cleaners from the late 1800s.
- Dayton Opera, North Main Street, ☎ +1-(937)-228-3630 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1-(937)-449-5068), . Tickets sales are managed by Ticket Center Stage.
- Dayton Philharmonic Orchestra, 109 North Main Street (Performance Place at the Schuster Center), ☎ +1-(937)-228-3630 (Info@DaytonPhilharmonic.com, fax: +1-(937)-449-5068), . Tickets sales are managed by Ticket Center Stage.
- Dayton Ballet, ☎ +1-(937)-228-3630 (fax: +1-(937)-449-5068), . The Ballet performs at two locations so be sure to call and find out where the performance will be held. Tickets sales are managed by Ticket Center Stage.
- Human Race Theatre Company, 126 North Main Street (The Loft Theatre), ☎ +1-(937)-228-3630 (fax: +1-(937)-449-5068), .
- Dayton Air Show, 3800 Wright Drive (North of Dayton, in the town of Vandalia), ☎ +1-(937)-898-5901 (email@example.com, fax: +1-(937)-898-5121), . The 2007 air show will be held on July 28 & 29, 2007. The US Navy Blue Angels will perform at the air show.
Sports and Recreation
- Dayton Dragons, 220 North Patterson Blvd. (Fifth Third Field), ☎ +1-(937)-228-2287 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1-(937)-228-2284). Box office hour: Monday - Friday: 10am - 5pm (open until 9pm on game days), Saturday - Sunday: Noon - 4pm (closed on non game days). Dayton is also home to the Minor League Baseball Dayton Dragons, a Cincinnati Red's farm team that plays in a beautiful stadium downtown and abuts the new Riverfront development. Catch the laser light show during the summer months!
- The new Riverscape is beautifully landscaped and hosts cultural events weekly during the summer. During the winter, there is an outdoor ice rink set up with skate rental available.
- The Bikeway runs through downtown Dayton, following the river and offers a nice recreational activity for the family.
- University of Dayton, 300 College Park, ☎ +1-(937)-229-1000 (email@example.com), .
- Wright State University, 3640 Colonel Glenn Highway, ☎ +1-(937)-775-3333, .
- ITT Technical Institute - Dayton, 3325 Stop Eight Road, ☎ +1-(937)-454-2267, .
- Southwestern College - Dayton, 111 West First Street, ☎ +1-(937)-224-0061, . Southwestern College is a computer & health care training college.
- National College - Dayton, 1837 Woodman Center Drive (Located in the town of Kettering), ☎ +1-(937)-299-9450. National College is a health care training college.
- Dayton Mall, 2700 Miamisburg-Centerville Road (Near the I-75/I-675 interchange in Miami Township.), ☎ +1-(937)-433-9833, .
- Mall at Fairfield Commons, 2727 Fairfield Commons (In Bevercreek), ☎ +1-(937)-427-4300, .
- The Oregon District in downtown Dayton features small craft shops and interesting resale stores.
- Thai 9, 11 Brown Street, ☎ +1-(937)-222-3227, . Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30 - 14:30; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 17:00 - 21:30, Friday - Saturday: 17:00 - 22:00. A trendy Thai restaurant on the West end of the Oregon District featuring traditional Thai specialties and sushi. Free parking.
- Milano's, 1820 Brown Street, ☎ +1-(937)-222-7072, . A popular restaurant on Brown Street immediately to the West of the UD campus featuring pizza and baked subs. Mixed crowd during the day, becomes a college bar after 9. Also frequented by more affluent suburban families and professionals. Newly renovated interior features sleek, "modern" design while still being fairly warm in atmosphere.
- Canal Street Tavern, 308 East First Street, ☎ +1-(937)-461-9343, . Hole-in-the-wall bar that hosts bands and concerts. The place does not accept credit cards nor does it have an ATM so be prepared.
- Dublin Pub, 300 Wayne Avenue (Oregon District), ☎ +1-(937)-224-7822 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . On the far eastern end of the Oregon District. Serves traditional Irish food with some flair and claims to be the #1 seller of Irish whiskey in Ohio.
- The Trolley Stop, 530 East Fifth Street, ☎ +1-(937)-461-1101, . Also on the far eastern end of the Oregon District. A relaxed bar featuring live local music most days of the week, with a comfortable patio outdoors and a party house available for rental.
- The Crowne Plaza Stars' Lounge, 33 East Fifth Street (One block west of the Oregon District in the Crowne Plaza Hotel.), ☎ +1-(937)-224-7822, . Features live jazz on weekends and cocktails.
- The Fieldhouse, 1126 Brown Street, ☎ +1-(937)-461-2111. A classic college bar popular with University of Dayton. Specialty is the Fishbowl, a large concoction of assorted liquors in many flavors for sharing. Collectible pint glass refill specials on Thursday nights feature catchy slogans.
- Flanagan's, 101 E Stewart, ☎ +1-(937)-228-5776. Daily 11 - 2:30. A UD bar with a more mature atmosphere frequented by students, alumni, and locals. Well known for their St. Patrick's Day party.
- Comfort Inn Dayton Hotel, 7125 Miller Lane, ☎ +1-(937)-890-9995 (fax: +1-(937)-890-9995), .
- Comfort Inn Dayton Hotel, 9305 North Main Street (Located in the vicinity of Hara Arena, Jam Cox International Airport, U.S. Air Force Museum, University of Dayton and Wright Patterson Museum.), ☎ +1-(937)-836-9400 (fax: +1-(937)-832-9712), . Heated indoor pool and continental breakfast included.
- Econo Lodge South Dayton Hotel, 2140 Edwin C. Moses Blvd (Located across from University of Dayton Arena), ☎ +1-(937)-223-0166 (fax: +1-(937)-223-7600""), .
- Quality Inn South Dayton Hotel, 1944 Miamisburg Centerville, ☎ +1-(937)-435-1550 (fax: +1-(937)-438-1878), . Minutes away from Downtown Dayton, Convention Center, University of Dayton and near restaurants and shopping malls. Outdoor pool and a free continental breakfast.
- Sleep Inn & Suites Dayton Hotel, 8277 Yankee Street, ☎ +1-(937)-425-7400 (fax: +1-(937)-425-7410), .
- Sleep Inn & Suites Dayton, I-75 Hotel, 8277 Yankee Street (Located in the heart of South Dayton Central Business District at Interstate 75 and Interstate 675.), ☎ +1-(937)-425 7400 (fax: +1-(937)-425 7410), .
- Motel 6 Dayton North, 7130 Miller Lane, ☎ +1-(937)-898-3606 (fax: +1-(937)-890-3898), .
- Best Western Executive Hotel, 2401 Needmore Road, +1 937 278-5711, Toll-free: +1 888 492-7141, Fax: +1 937 278-6048, .
- Courtyard Dayton North, 7087 Miller Lane, +1 937 890-6112, Fax: +1 937 890-6112, .
- Fairfield Inn Dayton North, 6960 Miller Lane, +1 937 898-1120, Fax: +1 937 898-0727, .
- Fairfield Inn Dayton South, 8035 Washington Village Drive, +1 937 428-7736, Fax: +1 937 428-7736, .
- Holiday Inn, I-75 & Wagner Ford Rd, +1 937 278-4871, .
- Residence Inn Dayton North, 7070 Poe Avenue, +1 937 898-7764, Fax: +1 937 890-5891, .
- SpringHill Suites Dayton South/Miamisburg, 7305 Springboro Pike, +1 937 432-9277, Fax: +1 937 432-9366, .
- Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites, 2455 Dryden Road, +1 937 294-1471, .
- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 33 East Fifth Street, +1 937 224-0800, .
- Dayton Marriott, 1414 S. Patterson Boulevard, +1 937 223-1000, Toll-free: +1 800 450-8625, Fax: +1 937 223-7853, .
- Drury Inn, 6616 Miller Lane (Butler Township), +1 937 454-5200, .
- Caeser Creek State Park, northeast corner of Warren County, I-71 exit 45, Route 73 west, southeast of Dayton. 285 campsites, electrical hook-ups. The campground offers showers, flush toilets, pet camping, horseman's camp with 30 sites, two camper cabins, one cedar cabin, 2,830-acre lake, unlimited horsepower, boating, water skiing, five launch ramps, forty-three miles of hiking trails, men, thirty-one miles of bridle trail, horsemen's camp, five-mile mountain bike trail, 3.5 -mile novice trail, hunting, fishing, picnic areas, tables, grills, drinking water, nine picnic shelters, day lodge, a meeting room, kitchen, outdoor tables, grills, 1,300-foot beach, concession area, changing booths, nature center, naturalist programs year round, pioneer village with 15 historic buildings depicting life in early 1800s. Playground equipment, basketball court, games and sports equipment.
- Cute shops abound within walking distance in historic Centerville , a nearby suburb of Dayton. It also has the largest collection of historic stone houses in the US.
- Visit nearby college town Oxford, home of Public Ivy Miami University, about 45 minutes southwest.
- The nearby community of Yellowsprings is highly recommended, offering a unique and eclectic downtown shopping experience and great outdoor recreation.
- Both Cincinnati and Columbus are roughly an hour from Dayton.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!