Davos  is a winter and summer resort village located in the heart of the Graubünden in the east of Switzerland.
In the early 90's, Davos became famous for hosting the World Economic Forum, an annual winter gathering of international politicians and financiers who represented a transnational elite.
Davos is accessible by train, bus or car. The nearest commercial airport with scheduled airline service is Zurich.
It will take about 2 hours to reach Davos by train from Zurich. There are train connections
from Zurich’s main station to Davos every hour between 6AM and 11PM. Please check the
timetables and other information on the official Swiss Federal Railways website (www.rail.ch).
Choose Zurich Flughafen (airport) or Zurich HB (city) as departure point and Davos Platz or
Davos Dorf as destination. Many European cities can also be chosen as the departure point.
Zurich-Kloten Airport has its own underground railway station with train connections
throughout Switzerland. The round trip fare from Zurich Airport to Klosters and Davos is just
over CHF 175.00 (First Class) and CHF 110.00 (Second Class). Reservations are not necessary.
Train Connections in Switzerland:
Zurich-Landquart-Davos: 2 hours 45 minutes.
Geneva-Zurich-Landquart-Davos: 5 hours 15 minutes.
Buchs-Landquart-Davos: 2 hours.
St. Margrethen-Landquart-Davos: 2 hours 30 minutes.
Air travellers may also take advantage of the Fly & Rail baggage service where baggage may be deposited, after clearing customs in Zurich, at the railway counter in the station for direct transfer to Klosters and Davos. Using this service saves the passenger the trouble of carrying luggage when changing trains at Zurich’s Main Station and Landquart. The Fly & Rail rate for luggage is CHF 20.00 (US$ 15.00) per item.
By bus during ski season
Buses travel from Zurich airport to Davos Dorf or Davos Plat every Saturday and return from Davos Dorf or Platz to the airport every Saturday in December through April. The trip takes approximately 2 hours, with a pickup at the train station three times daily.
It will take about 2 hours (160 kilometres/103 miles) to get to Davos by car from Zurich.
From Zurich-Kloten Airport: take A51 to Zurich and look for the road signs to Chur
(Expressway A), take Exit “Landquart-Davos” and follow road signs to Davos. For more
details or for other starting points, browse on www.mappy.com (use “Kloten” as the
starting point for the International Airport).
The municipal bus system is very convenient, traversing from one end of the Promenade to the other. Davos is only around 3 or 4 km long and about 1 km wide, so it is easy to get anywhere by bus or a short walk. Cabs are also available, but run about 12-15 CHF during the day and double that at night.
Ariel View of Davos, Switzerland
- Kirchner Museum Davos, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner Platz, ☎ +41 81 410 63 00 (fax: +41 81 410 63 01), . Open Tuesday through Sunday. Established in honor of Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, the German Expressionist painter. Opened in 1992, it is home to the world's largest collection of the artist's work. The museum building was designed by the Zürich architects Annette Gigon and Mike Guyer. It attracts great attention in architectural circles. Adults: CHF 10, Senior Citizen: CHF 8, Children and Students CHF 5, Groups (10+): CHF 8.
- Winter Sports Museum, Promenade 43, ☎ +41 (0) 81 413 24 84, . While in the winter wonderland of Davos, visit the Winter Sport Museum. This museum holds a large collection of winter sport equipment and documents donated by the Jürg Kaufmann family. The well-preserved exhibits (sleds, bobsleds, skis, skates, curling material, etc.) document the history of winter sports. Adults CHF 5, Children CHF 3.
- Zügenschlucht— Gaze upon a romantic gorge that has a spectacular railway line and a mining museum at the Schmelzboden at 1340 m. While you're there, explore the Geology Trail between Davos-Monstein and Wiesen.
- Lose yourself in the The Schatzalp (1861m), an alpine botanical garden that has such stunning scenery, it inspired German author Thomas Mann to write his novel “The Magic Mountain”, published in 1924. It contains around 800 different species of plants from all over the world and is truly impressive in June and July, when flowers are in bloom.
- Sertigtal— It's unique natural beauty and mountain scenery make for an unforgettable alpine experience. Unleash your romantic side and go for a ride by horse-drawn carriage or sledge.
On the slopes at Jakobskorn
- Bier Vision Monstein (Monstein Brewery), ☎ +41(0) 81 420 3060, . Have a drink atop the highest brewery in Europe. Take a class and learn about the finer points of beer making. Guided tours are available and tastings are worthwhile. Every Friday from 4PM-7PM, you can purchase beer directly from the brewery.
- O’Neill SB-JAM Davos— This freestyle snowboarding event takes place every year in Davos, with the qualifying rounds open to everyone (December/January).
- Young Artists in Concert— Occuring in July and August, this concert is where young musicians from all over the world perform as soloists or in chamber groups at the Davos Conference Centre, in the Kirchner Museum and in various churches.
- International Hiking Rally— Occuring annually in September, this hiking rally covers four routes in the mountains around Davos, with stamps for the number of kilometres walked and coveted medals.
Davos is internationally recognised as the largest resort in the Alps for mountain holidays and a top travel destination. Ski and snow activities are a must do in the winter, and at altitudes between 1124 and 2844 m, guests will find 54 ski lifts, 320 km of slopes, 75 km of cross-country ski tracks, two artificial ice-skating rinks and Europe’s largest natural ice rink for people to skate or to curl. And no fewer than five sledging runs to have fun on! For skiing fanatics, the mecca is the Parsenn and Weissfluhjoch area which connects up with the neighbouring resort of Klosters. The Jakobshorn, on the other hand, is the in place for snowboarders, with its half-pipe and monster pipe. For a quieter time, take a ride by horse-drawn sledge into the snowy side valleys, or experience the Davos mountains from 84 km of beautifully prepared winter footpaths and snow-shoe trails.
In the summer, the cable-cars on the Jakobshorn (2590 m), Parsenn including the Weissfluhjoch und -gipfel (2844 m), Pischa (2483 m), Rinerhorn (2490 m) and Schatzalp/Strela provide access to four hiking areas with a total of 450 km of marked footpaths. Anyone seeking rest and relaxation amid unspoilt nature should head off on foot, by bike or by horse-drawn carriage up the romantic side valleys of Sertig, Dischma or Flüela. For a change of scene, visit the Davos Lake with its swimming area and a sailing and surfing centre. In addition, there are opportunities for hang-gliding and paragliding and mountain bike and inline skating routes. Davos is also the starting point for excursions on the famous Glacier Express, and the Heidi and Bernina Express trains.
You can buy anything you might need in Davos, especially snow and ski gear. Stores range from rental shops to chic and pricey boutiques, which are strung along the main thoroughfare.
- Trauffer Souvenirs, 7270 Davos Platz, ☎ +41 (0) 81 413 5578. If you are determined not to leave Davos with out a souvenir or a gift for the folks at home, Traufer's a must. It is one of the few, if not the only, place to find souvenirs in Davos.
- Restaurant/Bistro Gentiana, Promenade 53,011-41-081-413-5649. Small restaurant on the main thoroughfare of Davos. Short walk from many of the hotels. Specializes in local cuisine (fondues and regional dishes). Food is interesting and well presented. The ambience is that of a small cafe with attentive staff. Thoroughly enjoyable and moderately priced (approximately 160 swiss frances for dinner for two with wine).
- Restaurant Panorama (Promenade 80), Silvretta Parkhotel, Landstrasse 190, 7250 Klosters, tel +41 (0)81 423 34 35. Restuarant Panorama lives up to its name with stunning views from its terrace. Portions are sizeable and seafood is favoured. Highly recommended.
- Meierhof Restaurant, Gastgeber: K. und R. Frey, Promenade 135, 7260 Davos, tel 081 416 82 85. First class Grison cuisine that is accompanied by a wine list of over 200 wines. The Davos mountain lamb is exquisite.
- Arabella Sheraton Hotel Waldhuus, Dagmar Weber, Dir, Mattastr. 58, 7270 Davos Platz, tel 081 417 93 33. Indulge in some high-class Swiss cuisine made with fresh local products. The Matta-Bar inside the restaurant is an intimate bar with a fire place where you can relax and unwind to the sounds of piano music.
- Bruhin's Weissfluhgipfel, Matthias Bruhin, Parsenn, 7260 Davos Dorf, tel 081 417 66 44. Chef Sebastian Schallen treats his guests to simple, market fresh food, served 2864 m above sea level. Special attention has been made to the wine list, featuring a variety of good choices. Dine to marvellous views of Graubunden’s magnificent mountain world.
- ArtHausRestaurant, Diegodo Clavadetscher, Platzstrsse 5, 7220 Davos Platz, tel 081 410 05 10. French meets Asian cuisine in a delightful pairing. Choose from a creative menu and dine in a cosy and charming ambiance.
- Buffalo-Grill-Restaurant, Uschi Biäsch und Heinz Hübscher, Talstrasse 37, 7270 Davos Platz, tel 081 420 09 09. Meat lovers can get their fix here, with this being Davos's favourite steakhouse. Delicous choices of meat all grilled to perfection in a rustic wooden setting.
- Fluela-Stubli, Hotel Fluela, Bahnhofstrasse 5, 7260 Davos Dorf, tel +41 (0)81 410 17 17. Enjoy the haute cuisine of the Flüela Stübli, known for its excellent meat dishes and melt in your mouth worthy meat and cheese fondues. Children are even welcomed at this fine dining restaurant.
- Restaurant Walserhuus Sertig, 7272 Davos Sertig, tel +41 410 6030. Reservations are needed at this popular restaurant in the heart of Sertig Valley, reachable by a 15 minute scenic bus ride. The family run staff make you feel as if you're at home, with hearty and comforting food such as venison and delicious pasta dishes.
- Restaurant Pöstli, In the Morosani Posthotel, at Postplatz, Davos-Platz, tel 081/413-74-74. Serving tasty platters of fresh seafood and well prepared meat, or choose from a fine selection of menu choices such as venison, beef or lamb. In winter, they usually offers live music from 5 to 5:30PM and from 8:30PM until closing time. In summer, live music begins at 6PM and lasts until closing.
- Wintergartenrestaurant Larix, Hotel Larix, Obere Albertistrasse 9, 7270 Davos Platz. Enjoy classic French cuisine in a stunning outside but covered restaurant. Careful attention to detail is observed here, with fine dining china, linen napkins and warm muted tones decorating the restaurant.
- Central Sporthotel Davos, CH-7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 81 415 82 00. A pleasing atmosphere combines with the excellent service and delicious food. Enjoy an international cuisine with regional influences and listen to the sounds of an accomplished pianist play popular melodies as you dine, with the music starting at 6PM.
- Mann & Co, Waldhotel Davos, Buolstrasse 3, 7270 Davos. It's a culinary experience dining at Mann & Co, already been recognized by the "Gault-Millau" guide and serves exquisite 5 course meals every day. The 5 course meals includes Graubünden classics and more exotic dishes served in a fresh, modern way. The cuisine is accompanied by a sensational wine menu with a selection of 350 wines.
- Restaurant 'La Terrasse' Turmhotel Victoria, Alte Fluelastrasse 2, Graubunden, Davos Dorf, tel +41 81 417 5300. Dine in a winter garden delight with fantastic views of the Davos scenery. The food is enjoyable, with a fine selection of meats and fondues and the atmosphere is amiable.
- Restaurant Ochsen, Hotel Ochsen, Talstrasse 10 7270 Davos Platz Tel. +41 (0)81 415 44 44. Attentive staff abound at this atmospheric restaurant, tempting diners with an impressive wine selection and a large fine cheese fondue menu.
- Coop-Restaurant Grischuna, Bahnhofstrasse 1, CH-7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (0)81 410 01 82. Great food, though limited in variety. Staff all speak English and food is served in a convivial atmosphere.
- Bauernstube Sunstar Parkhotel, Parkstrasse 1, 7270, Davos, tel +81 413 1414. Ideal place to relax and unwind in good company until late in the evening. Famed for their fondues, they serve meat and cheese fondues and a selection of local specialties a la carte for dinner every day.
- Restaurant Mühle Sertig, Sertigerstrasse, 7272 Davos Clavadel, tel +41 (0)81 413 25 85. Grison specialities are highly recommended here and are well accompanied by wines from Graubünden and Veltelin. Waiters serve fondue from carriage arrangements and do table service.
- Kairali, Scalettastrasse 21, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (0)81 416 57 10. Only Indian restaurant in Davos. It offers freshly-prepared Indian specialities and delightful décos. Enjoy the cosy atmosphere at 1560 m above sea level.
- Romeo and Julia Trattoria, Steigenberger Grandhotel Belvédère, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (0)81 415 60 00. Enjoy Italian cuisine under low level lighting and a charming, intimate decor of muted wood tones. Open for dinner daily.
The apres-ski scene is relatively good- there are lots of bars, discos and nightclubs, and a large casino at the Hotel Europe. However, the nature of the clientele at Davos itself means that the guests are often quieter, the drinks more sophisticated, expensive and sometimes less exciting.
- Piano Bar, Promenade 63 7270 Davos Platz, ☎ +41 (0)81 413 59 21. The party moves away from the slopes and on to the Piano Bar at the Hotel Europe, for fine cigars, an expansive array of whiskeys and sing along piano music. The default after party spot during the World Economic Forum, where traditional raucous boozing gives way to midnight singing sessions alongside the pianist.
- Cabanna Club, Promenade 63, Davos-Platz, Davos, ☎ 081/4154141. Great place to have a drink and dance to the beat of thumping techno music. The crowd is mainly scenesters and those who like to people watch.
- Ex Bar, Promenade 63, Davos-Platz, ☎ 081/4154141. Crowded with those wanting a vibey place to listen to live music. The decor is eclectic and kitsch, with a chandelier on the ceiling and a huge stuffed toy reindeer hanging over the door. It frequently stays open later than the official closing time.
- Postli Club, Promenade 42, Davos-Dorf, Davos, ☎ 081/4154500. The Pöstli Club is the place to be and to be seen. Ski bunnies and their admirers head to the high energy dance floor to warm up after hitting the slopes.
- Chami Bar, Promenande 83. One of the liveliest bars and popular with locals, you won't be able to miss it with a white bicycle hanging incongruously from the ceiling.
- Carigiet Bar, Steigenberger Hotel Belvedere Davos, Promenade 89 Davos Platz CH-7270. The fun continues off the snow at the Carigiet Bar, in the Steigenberger Hotel Belvedere. Replenish your energy from the slopes with delicious cocktails and listen to the musical entertainment that plays each evening.
- Fluela, Fluela Swiss Quality Hotel Davos, Bahnhofstrasse 5 Davos-Dorf CH-7260. The bar, complete with live piano music in the evenings, is the perfect place for a cocktail or after dinner drinks.
Ski up to Serneuser Schwendi Hütte on the end of red piste 21 and enjoy a lively après-ski scene, no visit to Klosters is complete without at least one drink here. It's easy to spot amongst the piles of falling snow by its aeronautical theme and the little Pilatus plane (Swiss designed and built for flying in the mountains) on its terrace.
- Gotschnabar, Gotschnastrasse 21, 7250 Klosters, tel +41 81 410 23 35. Recently renovated, this inviting bar by the base of the gondola station offers a vibey party scene at the downstairs bar, as well as a cosy lounge feel on the top floor. The lounge has a large plate-glass chimney-surround through which you can see the downstairs bar,giving the place a special ambience all of its own.
As the movement on the slopes slows down, the action moves to the hotel bars.
- Chesa Grischuna, Bahnhofstrasse 12, 7250 Klosters. Renowned as the most charming and authentic bar in all of Klosters, the Chesa impresses with its rich, cosy chalet interior and drinks acompanied by the twinkling ivories of the piano. Located a few minutes walk from the Gotschabahn cable car and railway station in the centre of Klosters.
- Cresta Bar, Hotel Cresta, Landstrasse 170, 7250 Klosters. Made entirely out of wood, the Cresta Bar keeps the party going in the winter until dawn, serving hot drinks and tasty cocktails.
- Casa Antica, Landstrasse 176, tel + 41 (0) 81 422 1621. The place to be when the disco kicks in, the Casa Antica has a fun, relaxed atmosphere and is a stylish multi storey converted barn housing a nightclub, a classy piano bar and cocktail bar/restaurant.
Promenade in Davos, Switzerland
There are over 40 hotels and inns in Davos, including two 5-star hotels: the Flüela and the Steigenberger Belvedere.
- Youthpalace Davos, Horlaubenstr. 27 Davos, Graubnden 7260. A high standard for a youth hostel, Youthpalace Davos is located only a few minutes on foot from the Parsennbahn funicular (accessing vast skiing and hiking areas), and also directly in front of the ski runs and high-altitude hiking trail. All the rooms are equipped with a shower and most of them have a large balcony. Prices from $73 include breakfast and dinner.
- Hotel Edelweiss, Rossweidstrasse 9 7270 Davos Platz. Spacious family-hotel in a peaceful and sunny location. The better rooms in this one-time sanatorium have generous, south-facing balconies.
- Club Hotel, Promenade 23, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (081) 414-9100. This comfortable three star hotel is situated at the calm and sunny end of Davos-Platz, close to centre of the city of Davos and also to the well-known mountain railway Jakobshorn. There is a bus stop directly in front of the hotel. The hotel amenities include a indoor swimming pool, sauna, massage, squash courts, table tennis and an internet corner (free of charge) as well as WLAN in the reception area.
- Hotel Bahnhof Terminus, Talstrasse 3, Davos Platz, CH-7270, tel 41 (0)81 414 97 97. Close to the Congree Center, the Best Western Hotel Bahnhof Terminus is a family orientated hotel that provides guests with stunning alpine views and a close proximity to a variety of outdoor activities including skiing, ice hockey, hiking and golfing. Each room offers cable satellite TV, an iron/ironing board, coffee/tea maker and hairdryer. For added comfort, the hotel features a sauna and steam room and three on-site restaurants.
- Hotel Casanna, Alteinstrasse 6 | Davos Platz, Davos 7270, tel +41 81 417 0404. With the owner Mr Phillippe Rusche involved in every aspect from the front desk to the kitchen, there is attention to every detail in this hotel. The breakfast buffet is convenient and provides plenty of options, while the rooms are small, but comfortable, with fresh, clean linens.
- Hotel Cresta, Talstrasse 57, Davos 7270, tel + 81 41 1616. Prime position only being a 12 minute walk to the railway station, and within a few minutes to the Congress Center and the “Promenade”, Davos’ popular street for shopping and entertainment. All double standard rooms have mountain views and are equipped with cable TV, radios, wi fi access, a mini bar and a safe. Staff are multi-lingual in this family run hotel, providing a plesant and comfortable stay.
- Hotel Ochsen, Talstrasse 10, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (0)81 417 67 77. This three star hotel offers a total of 98 rooms, each containing between one and four beds. All rooms come with shower/WC, TV, telephone and minibar and the hotel has a prime location in the centre of Davos-Platz.
- Hotel Sonnenberg, Horlaubenstrasse 13, 7260 Davos, tel +81 417 5900. Great place for some quiet and relaxation, the Hotel Sonnenberg has family sized apartments and a lounging lawn. All rooms come with radios, telephones, TV, mini bar and seperate bathrooms.
- Hotel Schatzalp, Schatzalp, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (081) 415-5151. Was named the Historic Hotel of the Year for 2008 by Icomos (the International Council on Monuments and Sites). The Schatzalp is built in an Art Nouveau style and the novelist Thomas Mann describes it in the famed “The Magic Mountain”. While the “superior” rooms have a newer décor, many rooms have fittings more than 50 years old; some have original bathrooms, with plumbing from 1900. Be aware that no rooms have television. Prices for double rooms half-board, with large south-facing balcony, from £146.
- Kongress Hotel, Promenade 94, CH 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (081) 417-1122. Moderately priced hotel immediately adjacent to the Congress Center. Roll out of bed and be at the Congress Center in 3 minutes. Wireless internet available for approx 50 Swiss frances per week. There is a bar and restaurant with breakfast included in the price, and the restaurant has a small but outstanding vegetarian selection. Hotel staff will pick you up at train station without charge.
- Sunstar Hotel, Parkstrasse 1,ch-platz, 7270, Davos. Ideally located only a few minutes' walk away from the well-known Davos Promenade, which is a renowned picnic spot, the Davos Platz station and the Jakobshorn railway. The rooms are clean and comfortable, and feature private bathrooms which are fitted with showers and a balcony that offers an excellent view of the outside landscape.
- Hotel Esplanade, Strelastrasse 2, 7270 Davos Platz, tel +41 (0) 81 415 50 50. Enjoy a quiet and relaxed setting amongst lush, Alpine meadows at the Hotel Esplanade. Built in a Art Nouveau style, the hotel combines modern amenities with a classical decor. The wellness centre onsite includes a sauna, jacuzzi, steam bath, adventure shower and relaxation room and the hotel offers free car parking or shuttle service from the train station.
- Central Sporthotel, Tobelmühlestrasse 1, CH-7270, (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +41 (0) 81 415 83 00). Member of Swiss Quality Hotels International. Four star sportshotel with great fitness and wellness area. Only 500m from the railway station away. Single room from 216CHF Double room from 387CHF (prices of february 2009).
Hotel Steigenberger Belvedere
- Flüela, Bahnhofstrasse 5, 7260 Davos Dorf, tel +41 (081) 410-1717. This superior 5 star hotel is set in a convenient location and enhanced with service oriented amenites and first class features. It has an intimacy and personal touch that sets it apart from other outstanding hotels, with never more than 130 guests and never less than 90 employees to look after guests. Enjoy a 5-course dinner in the main restaurant; the hotel also has two à la carte restaurants - the rustical “Fluela Stuebli” and the “Zur Fluela Post” - and a bar. The bar, complete with live piano music in the evenings, is the perfect place for a cocktail or after dinner drinks.
- Steigenberger Belevedere, Promenade 89, 7270 Davos Dorf, tel +41 (081) 415-6000. The old seamlessly blends in with the new in this hotel which dates back from 1875 and showcases a Belle Epoque style. The service by attentive staff is to be commended, with reports of the manager personally greeting each guest. The hotel excels with unobtrusive elegance, attentive service and perfect hospitality.
If you need a break for perfect skiing locations, or want a change of scenery, hop aboard the Glacier Express "The Slowest Fast Train in the World" and take a ride through Swiss mountains. See the real Matterhorn and enjoy amazing views of the Alps. Tickets start at CHF 73.