| || |
*'''SIA Daugavpils autobusu parks''' (DAP) (Daugavpils Bus Station), Main Office: Kārklu iela 24, LV-5403 (+371)65429245, [mailto:email@example.com], [http://www.buspark.lv/]. By bus you can go to any part of the city. Tickets are 0,30 LVL.
*'''SIA Daugavpils autobusu parks''' (DAP) (Daugavpils Bus Station), Main Office: Kārklu iela 24, LV-5403 (+371) 65429245, [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org], [http://www.buspark.lv/]. By bus you can go to any part of the city. Tickets are 0,30 LVL.
*'''Bus Station 'Daugavpils'''': Viestura iela 10, LV-5403 Tel.: (+371)65422507 – dispatcher/ tickets, Tel.: (+371)65429866 – dispatcher; Tel.: (+371)65423000 – information/ tickets
*'''Bus Station 'Daugavpils'''': Viestura iela 10, LV-5403 Tel.: (+371) 65422507 – dispatcher/ tickets, Tel.: (+371) 65429866 – dispatcher; Tel.: (+371) 65423000 – information/ tickets
| || |
Revision as of 11:09, 31 October 2008
Daugavpils , the second largest city in Latvia next to Riga.
It is a delightfully charming, spacious, green city. Despite its quaint atmosphere and low prices, the city offers modern conveniences and services. Over the last decade an ice-hall, bowling center and modern hotels have been built in Daugavpils and diverse entertainment options have appeared throughout the city.
Starptautiskā lidosta Rīga (Riga International Airport) (+371) 67207009, Fax: (+371) 67211767, , .
Daugavpils Lisdosta (Daugavpils Airport) (+371) 65475306
Soon one will be able to get to Daugavpils via air, as the airport located in Lociki (located 12 km northeast of Daugavpils) is being renovated and rebuild to become one of the major airports in Latvia. It is planed that by 2013 the airport will be open for regional and international air traffic, both passenger and cargo.
Valsts akciju sabiedrība “Latvijas dzelzceļš” (Latvian Train Service), . Riga-Daugavpils trains operate four times a day; Riga-Gomel, and Russia trains also operate.
Rīgas Starptautiskā autoosta (Riga Bus Station), . Buses from Riga to Daugavpils leave every two hours.
The drive from Riga takes 3-3 1/2 hours.
- SIA Daugavpils autobusu parks (DAP) (Daugavpils Bus Station), Main Office: Kārklu iela 24, LV-5403 (+371) 65429245, , . By bus you can go to any part of the city. Tickets are 0,30 LVL.
- Bus Station 'Daugavpils': Viestura iela 10, LV-5403 Tel.: (+371) 65422507 – dispatcher/ tickets, Tel.: (+371) 65429866 – dispatcher; Tel.: (+371) 65423000 – information/ tickets
Daugavpils has three tram routes operating in the city centre. Tickets are 0,30 LVL.
- AKCIJU SABIEDRĪBA ”TRAMVAJU UZŅĒMUMS” (Daugavpils tram) 18.novembra ielā 183, Daugavpils, LV-5417, Tel.: 65433632, 65434614, Fax: 65434203 Information Tel.: 65446705 
- SIA ”HOF” (Daugavpils Taxi) 65422222, available 24 hours a day.
- Taxi stops
- Rigas ielā 9 (hypermaket 'Rimi')
- Avenu ielā 33 (supermarket 'Mego')
- intersection of Piekrasties ielā and Rajpoles ielā (supermarket 'Maxima X')
- intersection of Jatnieku ielā and Mendeleeva ielā
- near hotel 'Latgola'
Prices (The prices can change without notice):
- Day tariff: 0,40 Ls/km
- Night tariff: 0,55 Ls/km
Daugavpils has lots to see. The Daugavpils Tourism Information Center can provide specific information and help you coordinate your visit.
Daugavpils novada tūrisma informācijas centrs, Rīgas 22a, Tel.: (+371)65422818, Fax: (+371)65422818, (E-mail: email@example.com).
- 19th century architecture in the center between the Daugava River and the railway station.
- The unique Daugavpils fortress (biggest in Europe), which has withstood many many wars and remains virtually unchanged since its construction in the 19th century.
- The historical center of the city consisted of 80 cultural-historical objects presents itself a specific monument of urban construction. One may be amazed by variety of architecture styles of the buildings, the red clay bricked facades of peculiar form recognized as Latgale baroque.
- The church ensemble Jaunbūve, the Church Hill included churches of four confessions, contributes a lot to very special panorama of the city of Daugavpils.
- Daugavpils may also be proud of its sport complex. Ice Hall and the open-air swimming pool, one of the biggest open-air swimming pools in the Baltic countries, are the real pride of the city.
Daugavpils is more endowed with water space than other cities of Latvia. There are 15 lakes, 8 rivers and numerous brooks its territory. In spite of this the climate is the most continental of the country. Forests and parks make up the green area with a square of approximately 10 400 ha.
Major Town Building Landmarks
With good reason the fortress, originally built as a fortification for the western border of the Russian Empire, can be considered the symbol of Daugavpils. The Classicism-style fortress was consecrated by the Russia’s tsar in 1833. In later years the tsarist, Latvian and Soviet Armies had been stationed there. At present the fortress is under the supervision of the local municipality and Real Estates Agency as a cultural and historical monument.
The Daugava protecting dam, which stretches 6 km along the river and at its highest points reaches 9 m, is another singular landmark of the city. It was built in 1841, and is still protecting the city from flood-waters. On accordance with the town-building plan, confirmed by the tsar in 1826.
Daugavpils present-day center and its street network started shaping in the early 19th century. The features of the styles peculiar to this historical period have been preserved in Riga street, the main street of the city center. A characteristic feature of buildings is Classicism-style red brick houses with ornamentation of various styles. The house at 8 Riga street, which now houses the Daugavpils Local Arts and History Museum, has preserved its original architecture almost unaltered. The house was built in the second half of the 19th century. It decoration of colorful glazed files is extremely original. All entrances to the house have small glass-covered open-work metal roofs. More than a hundred years ago a 3 ha large park was laid out in the center of the city. The park is called now Dubrovin’s Park as it was created with great assistance and support of Pavel Dubrovin, the first head of the city. It has been a rest place popular with the townspeople for years. Between Riga and Saules streets there is Vienības nams (Unity House), designed in plain architectonic forms: prisms and cubes. The many halls and rooms of this building house a theater, the city central library, several shops and cafes. All the principal cultural activities of the city take place here. At the beginning the 80-ties Riga street, in which several buildings of historical and architectonic value are situated, was one of the first cities in Latvia which was used by pedestrians only.
Monuments and Memorial Places
The most significant events in Daugavpils history are immortalized in various monuments and memorial places. The soldiers killed in Word War I are buried in Old Believers, Orthodox and Lutheran cemeteries. The Latvian army soldiers, killed in fights for freedom, are buried in the Lutheran cemetery. Their graves there as well as the Polish army soldier’ graves in Satiksmes iela testify to the events relating to history of the independent Latvian state. A 13 m tall reinforced concrete cross has been erected in Satiksmes iela to commemorate the events. A memorial stone to the citizens of Daugavpils, deported to Siberia in 1941 and 1945, is erected in Pumpura Park. The burial places of the Soviet and German soldiers in Dubrovin’s park, in the Garrison cemetery, in the Griva, Communal and Orthodox cemeteries as well as the graves of the victims of fascism in the Mežciems cemetery are memorial places to those who were killed in World War II.
- The northeast part of the city, Stropi, is a popular recreational area located near the Big Stropu Lake (Lielais Stropu ezers).
- The Daugavpils Musical and Drama Theater located in the Unity House (1937) in the city center.
- Did you know that Daugavpils has a race track 'Daugavpils Spidveja centr' on Jelgavas iela 54. So go check out some races.
- Want to go skating? Daugavpils has an amazing Ice hall - Ledus Halle on Stacijas iela 45a.
- But if you want to go bowling or shoot some pool, go to City Center on Viestura iela 8.
- You can also walk on the Daugavpils main street Rigas iela. It is amazing.
- Visit a lot of traditional saunas: 
- Finally just take a walk around the city and you will see a lots of amazing and beautiful things.
- DAUGAVPILS TIRGUS(Market) Cietokšņa 60, Tel. 65428252.
All around the city you can find many large and small supermarkets, shopping centers, or just stores.
- Restorāns “Gubernators”, Lāčplēša ielā 10, Tel. 65422455.
- Bistro “Vita”, Rīgas ielā 22a, Tel. 65427706.
- Restorāns “Rotko panorama bārs”, Ģimnāzijas ielā 46, Tel. 65404911.
- Bārs “Loby”, Ģimnāzijas 46, Tel. 65404912.
- Bārs-bistro “Vēsma”, Rīgas ielā 49, Tel. 65444350.
- Bistro “Grill Niko”, Viestura 25 – 1a, Tel. 65424887.
- Kafejnīca “Arabika”, Viestura ielā 8, Tel. 65402600.
- Kafejnīca “Dr. Pinta”, Ģimnāzijas ielā 16, Tel. 29480208.
- Kafejnīca “Pasaules brīnumi”, Vienības ielā 17, Tel. 65920000.
- Kafejnīca “Pīlādzis”, Saules ielā 12, Tel. 65420944.
- Kafejnīca “Mego”, Viestura 60, Tel. 65421733.
- Kafejnīca “Tvingo –Picca”, Mihoelsa ielā 7, Tel. 65422111.
- Restorāns “Afrodīte”, S. Mihoelsa 52, Tel. 29289065.
- Restorāns “Eiropa”, Viestura ielā 8, Tel. 65402600.
- Restorāns “Klasiko”, Ģimnāzijas ielā 46, Tel. 65404910.
- Kafejnīca “Lidadis”, Rīgas ielā 14, Tel. 65476660.
- Restorāns “ Taller”, Viestura ielā 59, Tel. 65424983.
Look at Eat section above for restaurants and more. 'Gubernators' has a great selection of beers from Latvia and the Czech Republic on tap.
- Hotel "Park Hotel Latgola", Gimnazijas Street 46, Tel. 65404900, . A new three star hotel.
- Hotel "Villa Ksenija", Varšavas iela 17, Tel. 65434317, .
- Hotel "Paparde", Tērvetes street 17, Tel. 65402180, .
- Hotel "Rebir", Vienības street 19, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. 65421857, fax: 65424747.
- Hotel "Flora D", Krimuldas street 45, Stropi, Tel. 29544613, 29421497.
- Hotel "Leo", Krāslavas street 58, E-mail: email@example.com, Tel. 65426565.
- Hotel "Hotel Dinaburg", Dobeles street 39, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel. 654 53010, 22332243, fax: 65424747, .
From Daugavpils one can travel to Lithuania, Belarus, and/or Russia because the city is located close to the boarders of these countries.
Or go anywhere else in Latvia.