Danville  is a small city of about 34,000 in Central Illinois about 5 miles west of the Illinois-Indiana border and about 140 miles south of Chicago. The surrounding area is mostly flat, but boasts six county and state parks and preserves.
Danville and the surrounding area are served by Interstate 74 which runs east-west along the south side of the city. I-74 connects Danville to Champaign-Urbana in the west and Indianapolis in the east. Illinois Route 1 serves Danville and the surrounding area, running north-south through the city. It connects Danville to several smaller Vermilion County towns as well as Chicago to the north.
The Danvile Mass Transit  system has daytime buses from/to Champaign, Georgetown, Westfield, etc.
Bus route #10 runs to/from Champaign, every 2hrs during the day M-Sa.
Danville is best seen by car, though it is possible to explore downtown Danville on foot. The county and state parks have trails for hiking in good weather, but the parks can generally be enjoyed by car as well.
- Vermilion County War Museum (former Danville Public Library), 307 N. Vermilion St. (just southwest of the Danville Public Library), ☎ +1 (217) 431-0034 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . T-F Noon-3pm, Sa 10am-4pm. The building itself is a NRHP site $2/adult $1/child. edit
- Fithian House, 116 N. Gilbert St.. President Lincoln gave an impromptu speech from a balcony of the Fithian House. There are historic and memorial signs around the house. edit
- Danville War Museum. edit
- Kennekuk Cove County Park. edit
- Kickapoo State Park. edit
- Chart Records, 131 N Vermilion St, ☎ +1 (217) 446-8199. An old school record store with any and all kinds of music edit
Danville has two Royal Donut locations, one of which is 24 hours, serving fresh donuts and pastries.
- Schroeder's Drive-In, 432 N. Gilbert St, ☎ +1 (217) 446-1034. Standard burger joint with old IL license plates and USAF memorabilia decorating the inside. edit
- Comfort Inn Danville Hotel, 383 Lynch Dr, ☎ +1 (217) 443-8004. Located conveniently off Interstate 74 with high quality, safe and newly renovated guest rooms. edit
- Sleep Inn Inn & Suites, 361 Lynch Dr, ☎ +1 (217) 442-6600. Located at the junction of I-74 and Lynch Rd (Exit 220), approximately 1 mile west of the Indiana State Line. edit
- Danville is the county seat of Vermilion County.
- Fithian - A village west of town.
- Forest Glen Preserve - great RV, tent, and back-country camping by the Vermilion River; has one 11-mile backpacking trail along the river's ridge through woods and wetlands
- Chambana, and the University of Illinois there, is a bus ride away.