Dalhart  is a city in the High Plains of the Texas Panhandle. It is known as the "Gateway to the Rockies" because it is an important stopover and resting place for many Texans on their way to the ski slopes of northeast New Mexico and Colorado.
- US 87 connects Dalhart to Clayton, New Mexico to the northwest and Dumas to the southeast.
- US 57 connects Dalhart to Guymon, Oklahoma to the northeast and Tucumcari, New Mexico to the southwest.
- From I-40 west of Amarillo, take Highway 385 north from the small town of Vega, about 80 minutes.
- XIT Ranch Museum, . Focuses not only on the (no longer existant) three-million-acre ranch which blanketed the area, but also has exhibits on local wildlife, railroad history of the area, and the role of the County Sheriff in Old West life.
- XIT Rodeo and Reunion , held the first weekend of August every year, features live music, professional and amateur rodeo events, the world's largest free barbecue, and other activities.
- Bar H Steakhouse, 1010 US Highway 54 E, 806 244 3813.
- Days Inn, 701 Liberal St, 806 244 5246. Clean rooms, indoor swimming pool.