| || |
Consolidated Gold Mine''' [ http://www.consolidatedgoldmine.com/] takes you on a tour of some of the mines beneath Dahlonega. Admission is $11/7 for adults/children. Under 3 get in free. Located at 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd. near Wal-Mart. |+|
''''''  Admission is . Located at .
| || |
|−|'''Grissoms Gold Mine ''' - one of the only press mines remaining. Gold can be panned from here as well as Consolidated. |+|
Gold Mine-.Consolidated .
| || |
'The Gold Museum''' is located in the very center of the public square. |+|
''Gold is of the .
| || |
|−|'''North Georgia College and State University''' - Military College of Georgia and the site of the old National Mint |+|
*<see name="" alt="" address="Public Square Dahlonega , 30533 " directions="" phone="706-864-5991 " url="http://www../" hours=" ---" price="" lat="" long="">is located the of the square of Dahlonega.</see>
Humming Bird Art Gallery" alt="" address=" 100 North Public Square Dahlonega, Georgia 30533" directions="" phone="706-864-5991 " url="http://www. hummingbirdlaneartgallery. com/" hours=" Mon- Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Sun:11:00 am - 6:00 pm" price="" lat="" long=""> This 4,000 sq ft gallery is located on the top floor of Hall's Block right on the square of downtown Dahlonega. </see> |+|
| || |
| || |
Revision as of 22:58, 29 January 2010
Dahlonega  is in Georgia's Historic High Country. It was the site of a major gold rush, claimed the first in the US by local citizens. Gold mining continues to be an important part of cultural identity of Dahlonega and several mines remain open as tourists attractions. It is also home to North Georgia College and State University.
From Atlanta, GA
Approximately 1 1/4 hrs.
GA 400/US 19 North from Atlanta until end GA 400 ends. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Athens, GA
Approximately 1 3/4 hrs.
US 129/GA 15 Atl North from Athens, GA near Jefferson GA 15 Atl turn towards Commerce, GA and US 129 is joined by GA 11. In downtown Gainesville, GA US 129 turns off and heads north to Cleveland, GA. Continue to follow GA 11 called Ee Butler Parkway til it merges with GA 60 called Greene Street. GA 60 and GA 11 soon spilt Stay left onto GA 60 called Thompson Bridge Rd. 20 miles later GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
From Chattanooga, TN
Approximately 110 miles - 3 hrs.
I-75 South. Go South on I-75 to Dalton, GA. Take Hwy. 76 to Ellijay. From Ellijay continue south on Hwy. 52 to Dahlonega.
From Birmingham, AL
Approximately 3 1/2 hrs.
I-20 E take I-20 East to Atlanta, then I-285 by-pass north toward Chattanooga. Take GA 400 North to the end. Left onto GA 60 after 5.5 miles GA 60 runs through the Dahlonega square.
Having a car would be best because there are many sites that are spread out, but central Dahlonega, along the downtown square, is navigable by foot.
Lumpkin County Transit operates with just two buses and offers door-to-door transportation on a first-come, first-served basis by appointment. "Nominal fees" are based on mileage. It's operated by Lumpkin County’s Emergency Services Department. For details call 706-864-6900.
'  Admission is . Located at .
- Consolidated Gold Mine, 185 Consolidated Gold Mine Rd., Dahlonega, GA 30533 (near Wal-Mart), ☎ 706.864.8473, . At the Consolidated Gold Mine a tour takes you underground into the mine to see what working conditions were like beneath Dahlonega during the gold rush. The tour shows the original cart rails, electrical lines and even an operational pneumatic drill. The tour also include an opportunity to pan for gold. $11/7 for adults/children. Under 3 get in free.
- Grisson's Gold Mine, 2736 Morrison Moore Parkway East, Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 864-6363, . At Grisson's Gold Mine there is one of the only press mines remaining and gold can be panned here.
- Dahlonega Gold Museum, 1 Public Square Dahlonega , GA 30533, ☎ 706-864-5991, . Monday-Saturday 9AM-5 PM; Sunday 10AM-5PM. The Dahlonega Gold Museum is located in the center of the historic square in the old courthouse of Dahlonega. $3.50-$5.00.
- North Georgia College and State University, 82 College Circle, Dahlonega, GA 30597, ☎ (706) 864-1400, . The Military College of Georgia there are many things for a traveler to see. Price Memorial Hall is the gold topped landmark of the campus built on the foundations of the old National Mint.
- Humming Bird Art Gallery, 100 North Public Square Dahlonega, Georgia 30533, ☎ 706-864-5991, . Mon-Sat: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm Sun:11:00 am - 6:00 pm. This 4,000 sq ft gallery is located on the top floor of Hall's Block right on the square of downtown Dahlonega.
- Gold Rush Days, . festival is held the third weekend in October. Thousands of people fill the town to celebrate the discovery of gold in Dahlonega. Voted one of the Top 20 Events in the southeast by the Southeast Tourism Society. More info.
- Bear on the Square, . Bear on the Square is a country and folk music festival held each year in mid-April.
- Hemlock Festival, . is a music festival held each year in early November. The festival is held to raise awareness and funds for defending the Hemlock's from attack by the woolly adelgid. $5-$40.
- Gustavo's Pizzeria, 16 Public Square South, Dahlonega, GA 30533-1214, ☎ (706) 864-2366. Literally a hole in the wall this pizzeria has the best quality pizza for really cheap. A slice of the kitchen sink(ultimate) is only $3.50 and it's huge. The garlic rolls are also amazing.
- The Smith House, 84 South Chestatee Street Dahlonega, GA 30533, ☎ (706) 867-7000, . A traditional shared table, with rich southern food. Excellent quality and a unique experience but comes with a higher price tag.
Dahlonega has several wineries.
- Wolf Mountain Vineyards and Winery, (on the right of East Main Street just past the square), ☎ 706-867-9862, .
- Three Sisters Vineyards, 439 Vineyard Way, ☎ 706-865-9463, .
- Blackstock Vineyards, Town Creek Church Road, ☎ 706-219-2789, .
For coffee, head over to the The Crimson Moon cafe and coffee house. They also have a tasty menu.