CzęstochowaSilesia (voivodship) : Częstochowa
Częstochowa, and the monastery of Jasna Góra is holy place for Polish and foreign Roman Catholics.
Katowice is the nearest airport, served by many LOT, Wizzair, Ryanair and Central Wings, it is about 1hrs taxi ride to Częstochowa town centre and is about 100 kilometres west of Krakow. The airport has direct connections with over 30 destinations across Europe and Asia. The airport is a base of [Wizzair] and has strong network of Wizzair flights:
- LOT Polish Airlines (Warsaw)
- Lufthansa Frankfurt, Dusseldorf
- Ryanair Alicante, Birmingham, Chania, Dublin, London-Stansted
- Wizzair Barcelona, Bergen, Cologne, Dortmund, Doncaster, Eindhoven, Frankfurt-Hahn, Kiev-Zhulyany, Kutaisi, London-Luton , Malmö-Sturup, MilanBergamo, Naples, Oslo-Torp, Paris-Beauvais, Rome-Ciampino, Stavanger, Stockholm-Skavsta, Tel Aviv
Bus transfer from Katowice Airport to Czestochowa: Pyrzowice Express offers a three times daily, well suited to the airport's main traffic waves connections. Each takes about 80 minutes and costs 40 zloty/person.
Jewish cementery, Gora Zborow, Mirow - places close or in Czestochowa.
Visit Jura Krakowsko-Czestochowska, places like Olsztyn, Gory Gorzkowskie, Mirow, Bobolice, Ogrodzieniec, Pieskowa Skala.
Good italian restaurants: Trattoria "La Vita Da Re" al. Najświętszej Maryi Panny 35/17 www.lavitadare.pl
Restauracja TOPOLLINO Al. N.M.P. 67 42-200 Czestochowa http://www.topollino.pl
Pizzeria Viola ul. Boleslawa Limanowskiego 84 42-200 Czestochowa http://www.pizzeriaviola.pl
- Klub Don Kichot, al. NMP 64, ☎ 34 368 24 52, . 22-5. latino + dance music edit
- Dance Club RETRO, Gajcego 2, . disco club Friday 18+ Saturday 21+ edit
Częstochowa is rather small, and accommodations are easy to find. The monastery has a large guesthouse built to accommodate the immense amount of pilgrims who walk here annually from all over Poland. The only time of year you're likely to have a problem finding a place to stay is immediately before and after 15 August, the Feast of the Assumption - a Marian holiday which draws thousands to the monastery for special devotionals.
- Xtreme Internet Caffe, Al. NMP 65A, ☎ +48 34 3683689 ([email protected]). 7:30AM-10PM. Over 55 modern PCs, all with high speed (4MB) broadband internet access. Also has B&W/colour printing, WebCam, CD/DVD burning, USB connect, Scanning, Skype and Faxing. 3 PLN per hour. edit
English speakers are easy to find near Jasna Góra - many nuns and priests on the grounds are multilingual. The town is another matter.
Some advice from a native local. Please be warned that in the area around Jasna Góra you can be approached by some shady individuals that will want to trick you into buying something. Don't be fooled -- your money will definitely not go towards costs of Jasna Góra renovation or charitable cause it will be probably spent on cheap booze.
- Head east in the direction of Jedrzejow to visit two architectural gems of in the neoclassical style. These are the Palace at Nakło, and the Palace at Szczekociny, both designed by the Enlightenment era economist, engineer and architect Jan Ferdynand Nax in the late 18th century. The Szcekociny Palace is not open to the public and seems to be in a state of limbo at present. But you can get onto the grounds to see it from the outside. The Palace at Nakło is open to the public for tours and lodging and has Polish-American hosts . There are also several interesting manor houses in this area. And just beyond Szczekociny is the museum of Mikołaj Rej, a leading Polish writer of the 16th century, and considered to be to be one of the founders of Polish literary language. On the way, take in the ruins of the castle at Olsztyn, a huge medieval fortification about 16 kilometers from the Częstochowa city limits (but please don't confuse it with the city of the same name in the Northern Poland).WikiPedia:Czestochowa
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|