Cradle of Humankind  is an UNESCO World Heritage Site in South Africa.
Located just north west of Johannesburg this area became a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to the large number of humanoid fossils that has been found here. 13 well explored fossil sites and over 200 caves are located within the cradle. The site covers an area of around 47 000 hectares and offers a variety of tourist attractions.
From the N1 in Johannesburg, take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14 and lead directly into the Cradle of Humankind.
- Living Jewels, R563 (From the N1 in Johannesburg take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14, at the T-junction with the R563, turn right, follow the R563 for about 3km, Living Jewels will be on your left.), ☎ +27 (0)11 956-6444 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Home to the South African Carnivorous Plant Society edit
Sterkfontein Caves (Cradle of Humankind)
- Sterkfontein Caves, (West along the N14 and look for the '''Cradle of Humankind''' signs), ☎ +27 (0)11 956-6342, . 9AM to 5PM. A tour guide will lead you through this extensive cave system where many early hominids and advanced ape fossils were discovered. Note that it is a 2 km walk. You can also visit the museum to learn more about the evolution of man. There is also a restaurant and shop. R80 for adults, R50 for children between 4 to 14 years old, R60 for pensioners, children under age of 4 for free. edit
The tunnel of time at Maropeng, timeline from the present into the past depicted on the floor and walls.
- Maropeng, On the D400 (From Krugersdorp, follow the R563 north to the R400, turn left into the R400, Maropeng will be on your left about 1.7km further. From Tshwane, follow the N14 west until it reaches the R563, then follow the directions as above. From the N1 in Johannesburg take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14, follow directions as above.), ☎ +27 (0)14 577-9000 (email@example.com), . 9AM to 5PM. The Cradle of Mankind exhibition and education centre. Mostly aimed at students, but fascinating for anyone interested in human origins. The short underground boat ride is a must do activity. At the entrance there is a ATM, coffee shop and souvenir shop. Within the centre, the Tumulus Restaurant is located on the first floor and the Tumulus bar is located on the second floor. Visitors centre: R80 for adults, R45 for children, R60 for pensioners.. edit
- Rhino & Lion Nature reserve (Including the Wonder Caves), ☎ +27 (0)11 957-0109 (, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +27 (0)11 957-0019), . A nature reserve within the Cradle. edit
The viewing deck of the Tumulus at Maropeng Centre
- The Cradle, (From the N14 or the N1, follow the R512 north. Look out for the Cradle signpost to the left just past Lanseria airport, it will indicate a left turn into Kromdraai road (D540). Follow Kromdraai and the Cradle will be on your right), ☎ +27 (0)11 659-1622 (email@example.com, fax: +27 (0)11 701-3206), . A nature reserve and restaurant within the Cradle of Humankind. Reserve in advance for the restaurant as they are generally fully booked. edit
- Greensleeves, Off the R563 (Follow the N14 north until the T-junction with the R563, turn right and follow the R563 for about 10km (take are not to take the Tarlton/Venterdorp road to the left about 2.5km from the T-junction), signpost will indicate Greensleeves on your left.), ☎ +27 (0)82 602-2958 (fax: +27 (0)11 956-6928), . Open Fri and Sat 7PM till late, costume hire and dressing from 6:30PM. Medieval themed restaurant, booking essential edit
- Tumulus, First floor of the Tumulus at Maropeng, ☎ +27 (0)14 577-9000. Open to the public on Sundays only. Buffet lunch. The bar provides an awesome view overlooking the Magaliesberg and the Witwatersberg mountains. R185 for adults and R80 for kids. edit
- Salsa Verde Restaurant, Plot 5 Lammermoor. Beyers Naude Extension (Directions from Johannesburg International Airport: Take the R24 to Johannesburg, don’t take the R21 to Pretoria Take the N3 (N1) to Pretoria The N3 becomes N1 to Roodepoort Take the William Nicol off-ramp and turn right to Fourways In Fourways, take Witkoppen Road to the left Then turn right into Cedar Ave and follow signs to Lanseria Airport for 7km You will get to a T-junction, where you turn left and immediately right again, following the signs to Lanseria and Sun City After 4km you will cross straight over the R512 (Malibongwe Ext.) Carry on with this road for 6km until you get to a T-junction. Valverde is the property in the corner on the right hand side Turn right to get to get to the gate (it’s the second gate on the right)), ☎ 0105916840, . 09:00 to 21:00. Salsa Verde Restaurant is a unique dining experience in the Muldersdrift / Lanseria area. International creative food and a style of service that makes everyone feel welcome and special. From R80. (-25.954617,27.876268) edit
- Maropeng Hotel, At the On the D400 at the Maropeng visitors centre (From Krugersdorp, follow the R563 north to the R400, turn left into the R400, Maropeng will be on your left about 1.7km further. From Tshwane, follow the N14 west until it reaches the R563, then follow the directions as above. From Johannesburg take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14, follow directions as above.), ☎ +27 (0)14 577-9017 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Visitors centre: R80 for adults, R45 for children, R60 for pensioners.. edit
- Forum Homini Boutique Hotel, Letamo Game Farm, Bartlett Road, Kromdraai (From the N14/M47 intersection, follow the N14 north for 4km. Turn right into Bartlett road and follow this dirt road for about 3km to the entrance.), ☎ +27 (11) 668 7000 (email@example.com), . Views of the valley from the evolution-themed luxury suites with roofs covered in African veld. The onsite Roots restaurant was voted as one of the Top 10 restaurants in the country (2007 and 2008). Reservations essential. No children under 12. R1750 pppn including breakfast. edit
WikiPedia:Cradle of Humankind