This district is under construction, please feel free to use any of the preliminary entries, but don't delete any entries missing information
Notes on geography
Locals tend to see this as a string of separate towns, usually called by the name of the nearest S-train station, but there wouldn't be much point in listing each of these separately in a travel guide, as each on it's own has little to offer. Visitors should be aware though, that the suburban nature of this district means that the attractions are far between, and it could take up to an hour in public transportation travelling between Albertslund and Solrød Strand for instance, the names of the "towns" are listed behind the addresses in the listings
Vestegnen is a suburban district west of inner Copenhagen, Denmark.
Two S-train directions run from the centre of Copenhagen through the district
- Lines B to Høje Taastrup runs west through Hvidovre, Rødovre, Brøndby, Glostrup, Albertslund and Taastrup every 20 minute from early morning till late night. Line B+ also to Høje Taastrup stops at the stations from Glostrup to Høje Taastrup and runs every 20 minute on weekdays from 6AM-6PM
- Line A to Hundige runs southwest through Åmarken, Friheden, Avedøre, Brøndby Strand, Vallensbæk and Ishøj every 20 minute from early morning till late night. Line E to Køge stops at Vallensbæk, Ishøj, Hundige, Greve, Karlslunde and Solrød and also runs every 20 minute from early morning till late night
Approaching the district by train from west or south, you will get off at Høje Taastrup Station and continue by S-train
The easiest way to get around is by S-train. For destinations between S-train stations or away from the main traffic channels you can take one of the local buses, most of which do not run as frequent as in the central part of the city.
There are taxi stands almost all S-train stations, but it will quite often be that no taxis are available and you will have to call one. Vest-Taxa (+45 43 45 45 45) is usually the fastest in the western suburbs and Taxa Selandia (+45 70 10 66 66) in the far southwestern suburbs. Taxa 4x35 (+45 35 35 35 35) is a good option closest to the central part of the city, but further away some waiting time can be expected.
Arken, Museum of Modern art in Ishøj
Old artillery storage on Vestvolden
- Arken (Museum of modern art), Skovvej 100, Ishøj (Bus 128 from Ishøj Station to Arken stop), ☎ +45 43 54 02 22, . Tu-Su 10AM-5PM, except W 10AM-9PM. By far the districts greatest attraction, and because of it's location, rather undiscovered, even though it's one of Copenhagen's top museums. The striking building, located in dunes right next to the sea, was erected by architect Søren Robert Lund in 1996, and resembles a beached ship, the building has actually been criticized for drawing attention away from the art is houses. The temporary exhibitions is actually often the main attraction here, but the permanent collection includes many important mainly Scandinavian modern works. Also has a concert hall, cinema, sculpture courtyard and a restaurant. 85 DKK. (55.606123,12.387581)
- Greve Museum, Bækgårdsvej 9, Greve (Bus 126 from Solrød Strand or Taastrup stations to Greve Museum stop), ☎ +45 43 40 40 36, . Tu-F 11AM-3PM,Su 11AM-5PM. Various exhibitions relating to rural history, and the history of the 200 years old farmhouse the museum in housed in. Also hosts various temporary exhibitions. There is a small café and a shop on the premises, and a lovely garden to enjoy a small picnic. Free. (55.590754,12.252005)
- Heerup Museum, Kirkesvinget 1, Rødovre (Bus 15 from Peter Bangs Vej Station to Rødovre Kirke stop), ☎ +45 36 37 87 00, . Tu-Su 11AM-4PM. Henry Heerup (1907-1993) was a popular Danish painter, with close ties to the avant garde movement, although his work is often described as timeless, colourful and Childish. He received recognition outside Denmark, and has work exhibited on e.g. MOMA in New York and the Carnegie Institute. The museums collection was large donated by his widow, after his death. 35 DKK. (55.682595,12.466812)
- Kroppedal, Kroppedals Allé 3, Taastrup (Bus 217 from Høje Taastrup station to Kroppedal stop), ☎ +45 43 30 30 00, . Tu-F 10AM-4PM,Sa-Su 2PM-5PM. A good museum, if a but out of the way, but in some beautiful surroundings by a small river valley. The museum has various stationary and changing exhibitions on astronomy, archaeology and modern history. Free. (55.684518,12.311351)
- Thorsbro Vandværk (Thorsbro waterworks), Allevej 29, Ishøj (Bus 126 from Solrød Strand or Taastrup stations to Allevej stop), ☎ +45 43 57 72 57, . M-F 10AM-2PM, Th also 4PM-6PM. Is an industrial museum, displaying the history of the beatiful classic building, and it's machinery - both are from the turn of the 20th century. Free. (55.622036,12.271423)
- Vestvolden Is an old fortification cutting a though the western suburbs for 14,5 kilometres from the sea to the Utterlev mose area on Nørrebro. At the time of construction in the 1890'ties it was one of the largest fortification works in the world, and today it is one of the best preserved, protected through it's entire length. While parts have been restored to it's former glory, the really interesting parts is the untouched part, overgrown part, with old barracks, ammunition depots etc. hidden away behind trees and bushes. The most easiest entry point is taking an S-train to Brøndbyøster station on the B line. Can easily be combined with a visit to Filmbyen, since it's housed on a garrison which was part of the Vestvolden defences.
Filmbyen (The Movie city) , also known as Avedørelejren, is an old army garrison erected in 1913. When the army moved out of the area in the 1990'ties, it was taken over by the municipality, and the famous Zentropa studios (home of Lars von Trier and much of the Dogme movement) as well as several smaller studios and production companies moved into the historic buildings. Today, apart from being something of a creative powerhouse, the scenic area has been beefed up by some rather funky new architecture mixing in with history, and also houses some cultural attractions listed below. There is also a hostel Belægningen and a restaurant Messen on the premises, which are listed in the appropriate sections below. To get here catch bus 133 from Avedøre station on the S-tog A line, Bus 1A from down town also stops quite close by at the Avedøre skole stop.
- Cirkusmuseet (The Circus museum), Hovedporten 6, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 49 00 30, . Su-Th 11AM-3PM. Photographs, posters, costumes, diaries, artefacts and what not, relating to the history of circus, both national and international, from the last 150 years. The museum is largely made up of the private collections of two famous Danish performers. 25 DKK. (55.631884,12.449741)
- Historiens hus (House of local history), Alarmpladsen 3, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 49 00 30, . Tu-W 1PM-4PM. Is a combination of a local history archive and a temporary exhibition space, in historic surroundings in the old officers mass. Free. (55.63245,12.448935)
- Brøndby Stadium, Brøndby Stadion 8 (Bus 500 S from Glostrup station to Brøndbyhallen stop.), ☎ +45 43 75 54 79, . Home of top Danish football side Brøndby IF, the stadium is home to one of the most lively home crowds in the national league. If you are fortunate enough to run into a match against the local rivals of FC København (Copenhagen), these are some of the best matches in the league. Games are usually played on Sundays, with a single league match being played Saturday and Monday. from 200 DKK. (55.648962,12.418542)
- Damhus Tivoli, Roskildevej 244, Rødovre (Bus 6A from Downtown), ☎ +45 36 70 05 98, . Weekends noon-8PM most of the year, everyday during summer. Small amusement park in the district, mainly of interest only if you are in area and have small kids, or a real craving for mini golf. The bordering lake 'Damhussøen, is a lovely place to go for a walk too. No entrance fee, 20 DKK per ride.
- Friluftsbadet Badesøen (Outdoor pool), Skallerne 14, Albertslund, ☎ +45 43 64 17 61, . M-F 11AM-7PM, Sa-Su 8AM-6PM. Features Europe's largest heated outdoor pool, 60 meters in diameter, and two water slides, 45 and 60 meters respectively. There is also Mini golf, Bocce, basketball and beach-volleyball fields on the large grass area. 35 DKK. (55.676631,12.333580)
- Hedeland, Maglehøjgårdsvej 6A, Hedehusene (Bus 116 from Hedenhusende station to various stops (Reerslev skole direction)), ☎ +45 46 13 63 18, . Hedeland is a unique and large recreation area, created on the area of an old gravel excavation site. It features a Ski hill, Steam railway, miniature railway, amphitheatre with regular open air performances, a golf course, riding area and finally a go-kart track . (55.630084,12.177401)
- Ishøj Dyrepark, Brentevej 40, Ishøj (Bus 400S from Ishøj station to Industridalen), ☎ +45 43 53 72 79. While hardly worth travelling for, if you are staying in the area, and crave to escape some of the concrete, this green area with grazing deer, Scottish highland cattle, goats and sheep's makes for a good small excursion. (55.626151,12.333453)
- Middelalderlandsbyen (The medieval village), Nybovej 11, Brøndby (Bus 135 or 166 from Brøndby Strand station to Ulsøparken stop.), ☎ +45 40 17 87 07, . No set opening hours.. A living history museum opened in 1999. The village consists of seven reconstructed houses as they would have looked in the 13th century surrounding a small village pond. There are several workshops with many activities for the kids. Free. (55.63276,12.408789)
- Vikingelandsbyen (The Viking village), Ledøjevej 35, Albertslund (Bus 143 from Glostrup station to Risby stop.), ☎ +45 43 64 20 29, .
There are serveral good beaches along the coast, such as Brøndby, Ishøj & Vallensbæk strand.
- Brøndby Beach (Brøndby Strand).
- Vallensbæk Beach (Vallensbæk Strand).
- Ishøj Beach (Ishøj Strand).
- Olsbæk Beach (Olsbæk Strand).
- The Beach by Mosede Fort (Stranden ved Mosede Fort), Mosede Strandvej 91 (S-train to Karlsunde station, and walk 500 m).
Theaters and concert halls
- Forbrændingen, Vognporten 11, Albertslund (Next to Albertslund S-train Station), ☎ +45 4362 5043, . Concerts usually starts at 9PM. The main concert venue of this district. Almost 100 concerts each year but not much action during the summer. Stages upcoming Danish bands. Entrance 50 - 150 DKK.
- Portalen, Portalen 1, Greve (Right by Hundige station), ☎ +45 43 97 83 00, . A local cultural centre which hosts a concert venue, a gallery, theatre and a café. (55.597914,12.331887)
- Viften, Rødovre Parkvej 130 (Bus 6A to Tårnvej stop), ☎ +45 36 70 45 00, . M-F 4PM-9PM,Sa-Su 2PM-9PM. A community center in Rødovre, with Cinema, Theatre and a Café
When city planners turned this area of former villages and farmland into unending suburbia (a transformation they now much regret), they turned to their North American counterparts for inspiration, and erected some huge impersonal shopping centers, complete with the usual, characterless chain stores, which leaves the shopping in Vestegnen a bit to be desired. You can find these shopping centers opposite almost every S-train station in the district. The largest of these malls are the aptly named City2, a short walk away from Høje Taastrup station, with 110 stores and a large cinema complex over 100.000 m², and Rødovre Centrum a bit off the main public transport corridors, also with 110 stores.
- Cath & Co, Herstedøstergade 22, Albertslund, ☎ +45 22 45 58 85, .
Except for Arti'kok you can safely disregard these listings if you are not staying in the district, as there are much better restaurants nearer the city centre.
- Arti'kok, Hvidovrevej 92, Hvidovre, ☎ +41 36 75 07 41, . M-Th 5PM-11PM, Sa-Su 5PM-midnight. Gourmet Danish cuisine, and easily the best restaurant in the district. Main courses from 135 DKK, five course menu including wine 695 DKK.
- Café Jenners, Mosede Strandvej 25, Greve (1KM along the beach northeast from Karlslunde S-train Station, or take bus 121 from Hunding S-train Station to Bækmose Stop and walk 100m northeast), ☎ +45 4369 9339, . M-W noon-11PM, Th-F noon-midnight, Sa 11AM-midnight, Su 11AM-9PM. Café/restaurant close to the coast south of Copenhagen. Nice place for a drink or some café style food. The menu is not impressive and comprises mostly burgers and sandwiches, but everything is well made. Main courses around 100 DKK, beer from 45 DKK, coffee around 25 DKK.
- Espehus, Korsdalsvej 77, Rødovre (Bus 13 from Glostrup station to Espelunden stop), ☎ +45 36 41 07 58, . M-Th noon-4PM,F-Sa noon-22. Danish-French kitchen in unusually cosy surroundings for the district in a pretty white house with thatched roof A la carte from 225 DKK, Lunch from 69 DKK. (55.679790,12.437097)
- Fortet Café og Restaurant, Mosede Strandvej 91, Greve (200m from Karlsunde S-train Station towards the coast), ☎ +45 4390 3979. Great location by Mosede Fort and not far away from Mosede Harbour and the beach. The food is average.
- Hereford Steakhouse, Taastrup Hovedgade 106, ☎ +45 43 52 00 39, . M-F 11:30-10PM, Sa-Su 5PM-10PM. Traditional Danish open sandwiches for lunch and steaks for dinner. Lunch courses from 60 DKK, main courses 170-235 DKK.
- Kabyssen, Søhesten 14, Ishøj, ☎ +45 43 73 79 71, . April-September noon-10PM, October-March Tu-Su noon-9PM. Simple place with both indoor and outdoor seeting. Cheap.
- Messen, Alarmpladsen 2, Hvidovre (Part of Filmbyen), ☎ +45 70 25 15 22, . Daily 11.30AM-2PM & 5PM-10PM. This restaurant has it's home in the old chapel of the stationed solders at the garrison, solid food on a seasonal menu, and stylish interiors. Mains from 99 DKK, Buffet from 265 DKK.
- Restaurant Krabben, Vallensbæk Havn, Vallensbæk, ☎ +45 43 54 05 45, . M-F 11:30AM-10PM, Sa-Su noon-10PM. Located directly next to the marina with a nice teracce. Danish cousine. Lunch courses from 59 DKK, main courses from 158 DKK.
- 1964, Brøndby Stadion 28D, Brøndby, ☎ +45 43 63 19 64, . M-F noon-10PM,Sa-Su 10AM-10PM. A sports pub located inside Brøndby stadium, where the name sake club established in 1964, plays. Shows many football and some NFL matches in flatscreen TV's. Free wireless internet. (55.648793,12.417409)
- Escape, Hovedvejen 118, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 45 31 38, . F-Sa 11PM-5AM. While hardly exiting there isn't many other bars in the area, plays mainly 80'ties music and current mainstream hits. (55.66613,12.397324)
- Damhuskroen, Roskildevej 244, Rødovre, ☎ +45 36 70 40 36, . Th 11AM-midnight,F-Sa 11AM-5AM,Su 11AM-5PM. Unless you are looking to score a middle aged bird wearing too much mascara or a similarly aged guy in a jumpsuit, you might want to give this place a miss. Though some younger guests are there for the entertainment they provide, and just let loose. (55.672863,12.473854)
- Carls Old Inn, Rødovrevej 260, Rødovre, ☎ +45 36 72 62 60, . M-Th 11AM-midnight,F-Sa 11AM-2AM,Su 11AM-10PM. It ain't saying much, but this is one of the better pubs in area. It's best before or after the local ice-hockey team plays their matches, as this is the usual hang-out for their fans. (55.691429,12.462904)
- Center Pub, Hvidovrevej 178, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 47 22 69, . Su-Th 9AM-midnight,F-Sa 9AM-2AM. (55.653284,12.474299)
- Glostrup Bodega, Glostrup.
- Under Uret, Greve Midt Bycenter 10K, Greve, ☎ +45 43 60 04 44, . M-W 10AM-10PM,Th 10AM-midnight,F-Sa 10AM-5PM,Su 11AM-8.30PM.
- Glostrup Park Hotel, Hovedvejen 41, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 96 00 38, . Adequate business hotel near one of the main commercial and industrial districts west of Copenhagen. There is an old and a new wing, with the new wing offering substantially better rooms and facilities. Free internet, and breakfast buffet included. Singles 795 on weekends and 1395 during weekdays.. (55.666622,12.410085)
- Idrættens Hus Hotel, Brøndby Stadion 20, Brøndby, ☎ +45 43 26 26 26, . This hotel is run by, and located on, the premises of the Danish Athletic Association, right by Brøndby Stadium with access to a steambath, Gym and solarium. Singles 775 DKK. (55.647487,12.417227)
- Quality Hotel Høje Taastrup, Carl Gustavs Gade 1, Taastrup, ☎ +45 43 99 77 66, . Business hotel in the westernmost suburb of Copenhagen. Cleaning is sometimes lagging in the rooms but there is a Internet station in the lobby, a heated swimming pool and gym facilities. Standard twins goes for 645 DKK. (55.647065,12.272218)
- Scandic Glostrup, Roskildevej 550, Glostrup, ☎ +45 43 43 42 00, . Port of the omnipresent Scandinavian hotel chain, this place is probably best suited as a motel for a stop over, as it's located directly adjacent to the highway. Billiard room, restaurant and a children's playground. (55.668403,12.419263)
- Scandic Hvidovre, Kettevej 4, Hvidovre, ☎ +45 36 86 04 00, .
- Taastrup Park Hotel, Brorsonsvej 3, Taastrup, ☎ +45 43 71 18 19, . Singles from 1100 DKK on weekdays & 425 DKK on weekends. (55.653711,12.300771)
- Wittrup Motel, Roskildevej 251, Albertslund, ☎ +45 43 64 95 51, .
- Zleep Hotel Ishøj, Ishøj Nørregade 1, Ishøj, ☎ +45 43 54 12 33, .
- Belægningen, Avedørelejren, Avedøre Tværvej 10, ☎ +45 36 77 90 84, .
- Danhostel Ishøj Strand, Ishøj Strandvej 13, ☎ +45 43 53 50 15, .
- Ishøj Strand Camping, Ishøj Strandvej 13, ☎ +45 43 53 50 15, .
- Tangloppen Camping, Tangloppen 2, Ishøj, ☎ +45 43 54 07 67, .
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!