Cirencester is a picturesque Cotswolds market town in the English county of Gloucestershire, some 93 miles (150 km) west of London.
There is no train line to this town, so the only alternatives are buses or cars.
There's usually one bus an hour to Cirencester from Swindon, Cheltenham and Stroud.
Parking in Cirencester has become harder in recent years due to increased prices but there are many carparks near the centre as well as in the market place (not on market days)
The town is small enough to walk around on foot. Discussions have been taking place as to whether the centre of town (in front of the church) should be pedestrianised - these have been going on for years, so don't hold your breath.
- the Roman Amphitheatre on the outskirts of the town and not very exciting. Owned by English Hertiage
- Corinium Museum, Park Street, tel 01285 655611 - Excellent visitor attraction
- the Parish Church of St John the Baptist - the 'Cathedral of the Cotswolds'
- walk in Cirencester park, open 9-5
Swim either indoor at the sport centre or outdoors in the summer near Gloucester street
There are the typical high-street chains here too. But there are some good special shops on Black Jack Street behind the church.
- Greasy Joes. On the edge of Cirencester near the large tesco towards Swindon. Cheap trucker fry ups.
- Cafe Bar Good place for a sandwich at lunch
- Pizza Express
Harry Hares. Well cooked traditional English food. Best food anywhere in the Cotswolds, friendly, attractive and helpful staff.
- Slug and Lettuce, West Market Place (facing the front of the church, it will be directly left of you). Reasonable beer. Unexciting chain pub.
- Somewhere Else, Castle Street. Pub-atmosphere bar, fantastic tapas, good late night atmosphere. Friendly.
- Twelve bells, good food, good beer and a friendly cosy environment.
- The Bear. Market place outside seating in summer and normally fairly busy.
- The Leauses, Victoria Road, . Offers quality bed and breakfast accommodation, a short walk from Cirencester town centre.
- Talbot Inn, 14 Victoria Road (From centre of town, at church, head East along road two hundred yards to juntion with Victoria Road). Tel:+44 1285 653-760, . About $100 for a double.