Chorley is a town in Lancashire, England located in the West Pennine Moors.
10 miles north-west of Bolton, 12 miles south-west of Blackburn and 6 miles north of Wigan. Preston is 10 miles north of Chorley, and Manchester is 30 miles south-east of Chorley.
Chorley describes itself as "Lancashire's Market Town. The markets take place most days, and continue to attract shoppers from around the local area. Chorley Borough, surrounding the town, includes many charming rural villages, and contrasting types of countryside. To the east of the town, the terrain rises up into the West Pennine Moors. Relatively low altitude, but still a remote landscape. The terrain to the west of the town could not be more different, with the flat, fertile West Lancashire Mosslands stretching away to the coast at Southport
Direct Train links from Manchester, Preston, Blackpool, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Chorley lies close to the junction of the M6, M61 and M65 Motorways. The closest link to the Motorway network is Junction 8 of the M61. The A6 and A49 roads both pass through the borough.
Direct Trains from Manchester Airport in around 50 minutes.
- UCycle (Electric Bike Hire), Heskin Old Hall Farm, Halfpenny Lane, Heskin, PR7 5PR, ☎ +44-1257-253936, . Cycling is extremely popular in the Chorley area with a network of picturesque lanes linking the towns and villages. An e-bike will help to cover the distances (especially any hills) without tiring you out.
This is the highest point of The West Pennine Moors and is situated in the borough of Chorley. It stands at 1,496 feet high. Probably the most notable figure of Winter Hill is the television mast which can be viewed from miles around.
The Hill is a local attraction and there have been many tales told about Winter Hill including:
Two Lads - The Tale of 2 Lads goes as on one dark and gloomy night 2 lads were walking over Winter Hill and was never seen again,no one knows what happened.
Scotsmans Stump - Another Tale of Winter Hill is one about a scotsman called George Henderston who was walking over Winter Hill in 1838 and was murdered,there now stands a stump and monument which is called scotsmans stump.
In 1958, a plane crashed into the Television Masts and killed passengers.
Because it is the highest part of The West Pennine Moors,views are stunning there are views of different areas Blackpool Tower and The Big One,The Lake District and it is said even Wales.
- Camelot Theme Park, Park Hall Road, Chorley, PR7 5LP, ☎ +44-1257-453044, . March - Sept from 10am. Weekends only except in School Holiday periods. Theme Park with a loose Arthurian theme. Some decent rollercoasters. Book in advance online for savings against entry fees. Adult/Child over 1m £28. Child under 1m Free.
- Chorley Little Theatre, Dole Lane, Chorley, Lancashire, PR7 2RL (Follow Southport Road from the Town Hall, and Dole Lane is on the left), ☎ +44-1257-264362, . Built in 1910 as a cinema, now run by local volunteers as an arts venue. Regular amateur productions of high quality. Hosts some of the biggest names in standup comedy throughout the year and still fulfills its original role as cinema on some Sunday evenings
- Chorley MarketsChorley describes itself as Lancashire's Market Town and is proud of its popular market, which lies at the very heart of the town. The covered market opens 9am - 4.30pm on the following days. Monday - Flea Market and collectables. Tuesday - New goods and food cabins, with additional stalls on the adjacent Flat Iron car park. Thursday - craft, new goods and food cabins. Friday - new goods and food cabins. Saturday - new goods and food cabins with additional food and craft market on nearby Fazakerley Street every second Saturday.
- New Season Tapas Bar, 13 St Thomas's Road, Chorley, PR7 1HP (A short distance to the west of the town hall), ☎ +44-1257-241040, . More of a Mediterranean Fusion cuisine than traditional tapas, but none the worse for that
- Daisy (Indian Restaurant), 1 New Market Street, Chorley, PR7 1DB, ☎ +44-1257-265567, . Large indian restaurant serving a good quality, if fairly standard, UK indian menu.