Chitrakoot (IAST: Chitrakoot, Sanskrit: चित्रकूट) (also spelt Chitrakoot) is a town and a nagar panchayat in Satna district in the state of Madhya Pradesh, India. It is a town of religious, cultural, historical and archaeological importance, situated in the Bundelkhand region, bordering Chitrakoot district in Uttar Pradesh, India. Chitrakoot Dham (Karwi) is a nearby town. It is known for a number of temples and sites mentioned in Hindu scriptures.
Many people gather here on each Amavasya. Somwati Amavasyas, Deepawali, Sharad-Poornima, Makar Sankranti and Ramanavami are special occasions for such gatherings and celebrations. It attracts crowds throughout the year including above occasions and for Free Eye Hospital Camps. Noted 'Ayurvedic' and 'Yoga' centres like 'Arogyadham' are located in Chitrakoot
- From Delhi Hazrat Nizaamuddin Railway station you can get in by train no 2190 MAHAKOSHAL EXP in 12 hours and 664 km.
- From Lucknow you may get in by train no 5009 CHITRAKUT EXP in 6½ hours and 285 km.
You may get in by bus from Lucknow, Allahabad, Kanpur, Jhansi, Jabalpur, Satna and Varanasi.
- Kamtanath Mandir Some people said that during exile of lord Ram. Rama prayed to Kamtanath (Deity of local villagers) to fight with devils. After darshan in temple one must do parikrama of 5.5 Km around the Kamadgiri hill.
- Lakshaman Pahari Some people believed that during exile younger brother of Ram stayed on the Lakshaman Hill. Lakshman hill is situated on half way of Parikrama path of Kamdgiri.
- Hanuman Dhara Hanuman Dhara is a spring located on a steep hillside in Chitrakut. On foot one has to climb a steep flight of 360 steps to reach this place. There is a big statue of Lord Hanuman, on which the water of this spring tumbles over. It is believed that, Hanuman Dhara was created by Ram to assuage Hanuman when he returned after setting Lanka on fire.
- Sita Rasoi This is believed that this place was the kitchen of Lord Ram’s wife Sita. Sita Rasoi is situated on the peak of the Hanuman Dhara Hill.
- Sfatik Shila Sphatik Shila is situated in a densely forested area to the south of Chitrakoot in Satna District. This picturesque spot is famous for its two massive rocks which are believed to have the footprints of Lord Ram. It is located within a short distance beyond Janaki kund, on the banks of the Mandakini River. According to legend it was here that Sita was pecked at by Jayant, son of Lord Indra, in the form of a crow.
- Gupt Godavari Gupt Godavari, a natural wonder, consists of two caves. It is around 18 km from Chitrakut and 10 km from Anasuya Atri Ashram. There is a tank known as 'Sitakund' in one of these caves which is perpetually fed by a small stream of water. It is believed that Ram and his brother Lakshman held court in the cave with a stream of water running along its base. This cave features two natural throne-like rocks.
- Ram Ghat Ramghat is located on the banks of the river Mandakini in Chitrakoot of Satna District. It is an important pilgrim spot. Beside the ghat, there are many ashrams where holy men in saffron dresses meditate and offer the solace of their wisdom to the large number of pilgrims who congregate there.
- Janaki Kund Janaki Kund is situated 2 km south of Chitrakoot in Satna District, on the banks of the Mandakini River. Literally ‘Janaki Kund’ means the ‘Pool of Sita’. According to a legend, it was the favorite bathing spot of Sita, during the years of exile with her husband Lord Ram. It is said that Sita's footprints are imprinted on the rocks here. It is a quiet place which is blessed by Sita and people consider it auspicious to bathe here.
- Sati Anusuiya Sati Anasuya Temple is located at Sati Anasuya in Chitrakut District of Uttar Pradesh. It enshrines the idol of Sati Anasuya, the wife of saint Atri, with her three babies who are said to be the incarnations of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswar.
The 24 different forms of god appeared on the earth can be found here in the form of idols. The Mandakini River flows nearby. The ancient ashram of Rishi Atri is above the temple.
If you are in chitrakoot you must do parikrama of Kamdgiri Hill.
Annapurna Bhojnalaya is the main good quality hotel available in Chitrakoot.
In Chitrakoot there are so many Hotels & Dharmshala in town. UP Tourism & MP Tourism is also having it's guesthouses in town. Kamdgiri Bhawan is the cheap & best place to stay in Chitrakoot.
Panna National Park