- For other places with the same name, see Chillicothe (disambiguation).
Chillicothe  is a city in Ross County in Southwest Ohio and is the county seat of Ross County. In the 1800's, it was designated as the capital of the "eastern section" of the Northwest Territory. Later the State Constitutional Convention was held in Chillicothe and in 1803, Ohio entered the Union, Chillicothe became the first state capital of Ohio. The name of the City was derived from a Shawnee word meaning "principal town". It is located along the Scioto River and Paint Creek.
Hopewell Culture National Historic Park
- SR 23 runs NS - SR 35 runs NW-SE Approx 45 miles South of Columbus.
- Port Columbus International Airport, 4600 International Gateway, Columbus. PH:(614)-239-4083  Port Columbus International Airport (IATA: CMH) is served by all the major airlines, with direct flights to most major American cities.
- Dard Hunter Studios, 8 Highland Avenue, ☎ 740-774-1236, . The Mountain House was built in 1850 by a German family named Meggenhofen who operated a winery here for many years, tending the terraced vineyards below the house. Gift shop is open M-F, 9am to 5pm. Reservations are required for a tour. Call at least 24 hours in advance to schedule an appointment.
- Adena Mansion and Gardens, Adena Road,outside of Chillicothe ph.740-772-1500 Home of Thomas Worthington (1773-1827), sixth Govenor of Ohio and one of the states first United States Senators. Quite a place.
- Chillocothe Railroad Museum, Corner of Paint and Water Streets. tel. 740-702-7675 Mon.-Fri. 10-4 Sat.- Sun. noon-3 p.m.
- Hopewell Culture National Historical Park, 16062 State Route 104, . A group of 23 earthen mounds originally built by the Hopewell culture, 200 BC to AD 500, destroyed by the US Federal Government to build Fort Sherman in 1913 and then partially rebuilt/restored and turned into a National Historic Park.
- James A. Thomas Telephone Museum, 68 East Main St. tel. 740-772-8200 Mon.-Fri.- 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 Free.
- Dr. John D. Harris Dental Museum, 209 Main Street, Bainbdidge tel. 740-634-2228 Hours vary.
- Lucy Hayes Heritage Center, 90 West Sixth St., tel. 740-775-5829 Hours vary.
- Majestic Theater, 45 East Second St. Longest running, free standing theater in United States.
- Ross County Heritage Center, 45 West Fifth St., tel. 740-772-1936 Hours vary.
- Roscoe Village, 381 Hill St., PH:740-622-9310 or 800-877-1830, . Restored Ohio & Erie Canal port village.
- Sugarloaf Mountain Amphitheatre - Tecumseh! , 5968 Marietta Road, . Huge outdoor stages.
- Baseball Chillocothe Paints - 90 game schedule
- Annual Feast of the Moon Festival Last weekend in May
- Charity Bed Race 4th of July
- Ross County Fair August 6-13, 2007
- New Beginnings Bluegrass Festival August 18-20, 2007
- Easy Rider Rodeo
- International Sunflower Festival September 3-4, 2007
- Mountain Heritage Campout Tar Hollow State Park. Sept. 16-17, 2007
- Apple Harvest Festival Sept. 17-18, 2007
- 38th Fall Festival of the Leaves Bainbridge. October 14-16, 2007
- Lucy and Rutherford Hayes Anneversary Dinner Lucy Hayes Heritage Center, 90 West Sixth St. December 30, 2007. tel.740-755-1780 Reservations required.
- Ohio University-Chillicothe, 101 University Drive, PH: 740-774-7200, . 1,900 students and has experienced a 25.3% increase in enrollment over the last two years.
- Kitchen Collection, 1075 N Bridge Street, Suite 202 (Chillicothe Mall), ☎ 740-775-3915, . You'll find a wide variety of cookware, bakeware, small appliances, decorative wood, marble and ceramics, great gadgets for every kitchen task, and the best of the kitchen/housewares seen on TV. This company of 200+ locations in 44 states began right here in Downtown Chillicothe.
- Bob's Bootery, 100 N. Paint St., ☎ 740-775-5652, . Providing many national brand footwear such as Birkenstock, Jumping Jacks, Munro, New Balance, Dexter USA, Clarks, Extra Depth, Drew and more! And leather goods handcrafted by local artisan
- Chillicothe Farmers Market, 475 Western Ave, . Only open May to October, from 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Anyone interested in selling at the market can register between 7 and 8 a.m.
- History Store, 101 N. Paint St., ☎ 740-775-7400. M-Sat. M- Sat. 10am-5:30pm.
- The Cellar Room, 203 West Water St. (two blocks west of the city park on the corner of High and Water Streets.), ☎ 740-775-9848, . T-F 10:30am- 5:30pm, Sat. 10am-5pm. Long known for its unique and unusual gifts and antiques. The original store started in the cellar (hence the name) and is now expanded to include the main floor.
- Old Canal Smokehouse, 94 East Water St, ☎ 740-779-3278. M-TH 11am-9pm F-Sun 11am-10pm.
- Mona Lisa Café, 35 N. Paint St., ☎ 740-779-3337, . Mon-Thu 11am to 10pm; Fri & Sat 11am to 11pm. Mediterranean Restaurant & Cocktail Lounge. Greek, French and Middle Eastern food plus steaks, salmon, burgers and gyros. Entertainment on weekends. Wireless internet available.
- Sumburger Drive-in, 1487 North Bridge St., . M-TH 10:30am-9pm, F-Sat 10:30am-10pm. Sumburger is one of the few original 1950's drive-ins left today. Our unique concept of carhop service and phones at every booth for ordering makes us one-of-a-kind.
- Carl's Townhouse, 95 W 2nd St, ☎ (740) 773-1660. 6am-5pm. Carl's is a family owned, hometown diner style restaurant. Great food for breakfast and lunch... but don't expect dinner there, because they close at 5pm
- County Crust Bakery, 4715 SR 41 South.
- The Old Home Place, 1/4 mile north of U.S. Route 35. tel. 740-998-4303. Amish Bakery - Troyer Meats - Cheese - Bulk Foods.
- Joy O' Java, 1075 N. Bridge St (Chillicothe Mall next to Sears), ☎ 740 779 9090, . Seasonally, Joy O' Java adds beverages such as hot apple cider, hot chocolate, frozen coffees, and more. While you are here, browse around our gift shop and all the items waiting to complement your shopping list. When you are tired, relax over a hot or cold drink and enjoy the "home like" ambiance filled with good music and the laughter of friends and family.
- Dock at Water, 80 E Water St, ☎ 740-779-3625, .
- Great Seal State Park, 635 Rocky Rd.. 15-site campground, pressurized water, vault latrines, playground, shelterhouse, pet camping, shelterhouse, horse camp, twenty-two miles of trails, hunting, playground equipment, disc golf course, volleyball, basketball, horseshoe court.
- Best Western Adena Inn, 1250 N Bridge Street, ☎ +1 740 775-7000 (fax: +1 740 773-1622), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 1003 East Main St., ☎ +1 740 779-2424, .
- Victoria Manor Bed and Breakfast, 30 Western Avenue, ☎ +1 800-852-1093 or +1-740-775-6424, . checkin: 1:00pm; checkout: 11:59am. $70-$110 USD.
- Hampton Inn & Suites' Chillicothe
- Country Hearth Inn Chillicothe
- Comfort Inn Chillicothe
- Christopher Inn And Suite
- Scioto Trail State Park, Ross County, south of Chillicothe, east of Route 23 on CR 372. 55 campsites, 40 with electricity, latrines, water, fire rings, picnic tables are provided. A secluded hike-in camp near Stewart Lake has 18 non-electric sites. Two rustic camper cabins are available. Fishing, hunting, twelve miles of hiking trails, 17 miles of bridle trails, nature center, basketball, horseshoe courts, playground, games and sporting equipment to registered campers, basketball, horseshoe courts and volleyball court.
- Tar Hollow State Park, east part of Ross County, east of Chillicothe, at 16396 Tar Hollow Road, Laurelville, 71 sites with electrical hookups, 11 non-electric sites, 12 walk-in sites, and 5 primitive sites along a backpack trail. Equipped with showers, laundry facilities, pit latrines and a dump station. The beach is close by. Boating with electric motors only, permitted on the 15-acre Pine Lake. Perfect for canoes and rowboats.