Chatham shellfishermen in the summer
You may also be looking for Chatham, a city in Kent, England.
Chatham is at the "elbow" of Cape Cod in Massachusetts. Its beautiful beaches, harbors, coastal scenes and its interesting village shops make it a popular day-trip destination as well as a top-notch vacation area.
In 2007 Chatham was recognized by the National Trust for Historic Preservation as one of America’s Dozen Distinctive Destinations.
From Route 6 take Exit 11; go left off the ramp onto Route 137 South; go straight through one set of lights (by car dealership); go straight (actually a right dogleg) at the four way stop at Queen Anne Rd. ( The Corner Store on corner); continue to the Route 28 intersection (the road will end). Turning right (west) will bring you into the South Chatham neighborhood, while turning left (east) will lead you through Chatham's Main Street (the local name for Route 28). Driving straight (or more precisely, left and then an immediate right up a driveway) brings you to Chatham's Tourist Information Center, sponsored by the local chamber of commerce. This is an excellent first stop, as the Center's volunteers can provide local context and suggestions.
- Chatham Municipal Airport (ICAO: KCHH), 240 George Ryder Rd., +1 508-945-9000. This is a small airport -- most travelers would fly into Boston(BOS) or Warwick (Rhode Island)(PVD).
- Cape Treks Self Driving Tour of Chatham, approximately one hour driving tour around the town .
- Eldredge Garage Taxi & Limo, 356 Main St., (508) 945-0068.
- Capewide Taxi & Livery, 338 Old Harbor Rd, (508) 945-5548.
- Atwood House and Museum, 347 Stage Harbor Rd., +1 508-945-2493, .
- Chatham Light, Shore Road, +1 508-430-0628. Busy parking lot there at the beach overlook has a 30 minute limit.
- The Railroad Museum, 153 Depot Rd. . Tu-Sa 10AM-4PM. Free.
- Chatham Fish Pier, Aunt Lydia's Cove (off Shore Rd.). Watch the fishermen unload their catch.
- Old Godfrey Windmill, Near Chase Park.
- Chatham Art Gallery, 464 Main St., +1 508-255-1056.
- Gallery of Chatham, 595 Main St., +1 508-945-5449.
- Hearle Gallery, 488 Main St., +1 508-945-2406.
- Kingsley-Brown Gallery, 499 Main St., +1 508-945-6035.
- Maureen Leavenworth, 464 Main St., +1 508-945-4699.
- Munson Gallery, 880 Main St., +1 508-945-2888.
- Nancy Cole, 89 Barcliff Ave., +1 508-945-9851.
- Odell Studio Gallery, 423 Main St., +1 508-945-3239.
- Patten Gallery, 459A Main St., +1 508-945-5313.
- Potts Gallery Fine Art, 1223 Main St., +1 508-945-2060.
- Struna Galleries, 458 Main St., +1 508-945-5713, .
- Thomas Kinkade Chatham Light Gallery, 433A Main St., +1 888-414-7773.
- Turner Art Gallery, 2078 Main St. (Route 28), +1 508-432-7780.
- Chatham Drama Guild, 134 Crowell Rd., Chatham, +1 508-945-3563 (General Information), (508) 945-0510 (Box Office). Website: http://chathamdramaguild.org
- Monomoy Theatre, 776 Main St., Chatham, +1 508-945-1589 (General Information), +1 508-945-1589 (Box Office)
- Outermost Adventures, off Morris Island Road one-half mile south of Chatham Light, +1 508-945-5858, . Shuttles to South Beach and North Monomoy Island. One hour seal watch cruises.
- Monomoy Island Ferry, Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge, +1 508-945-5450. . Shuttles, seal tours.
- Cape Aerial Tours, Chatham Airport, George Ryder Rd, +1 508-945-2363. Another way to see the seals.
- Chatham Charters, 1470 Main Street, ☎ 5089457806, . Enjoy a full or half day fishing the waters around Chatham for bluefish or striped bass with Captain Matthew Swenson.
- The Annual Hookers Ball, . Saturday, August 16th, 2008. Under the Big White Tent on George Ryder Road, Chatham VFW. The Hookers Ball has grown from a small gathering at a raw bar to a 700 person bash, complete with a live and silent auction, seafood buffet and raw bar, live music, open bars, and dancing! Presented by the Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen's Association.
- Main St. Chatham is host to many small and distinctive shops. The best time to visit is late May/early June or September when the crowds have left. The ladies seem to always love Yankee Ingenuity and you have to stop at The Chatham Candy Manor for some homemade fudge. There is always plenty of free parking, but make sure to park within the lines because the police are notorious for ticketing naive tourists.
- The Box Office Cafe, 2642 Main St., 508-430-5211, . Kick-back, ecclectic vibe. Stellar espresso bar, beer and wine, gourmet sandwiches and true NY Style PIZZA--best on Cape! Unlike anything around.
- The Chatham Squire, 487 Main St., +1 508-945-0945, . A great place for fresh seafood and a night out with your friends.
- The Corner Store- Burritos & Panini, 1403 Old Queen Anne Road, +1 508-432-1077, Fax: 508-432-1003, . This is where the locals eat. Breakfast & lunch burritos and amazing panini sandwiches fresh, fast & fun (great prices as well).
- The RooBar, 907 Main St., +1 508-945-9988, . A nice restaurant near downtown Chatham with a unique artistic setting. If you're on a budget, the pizzas are an excellent choice.
- The Red Nun Bar & Grill, 746 Main St., +1 508-348-0469, . This is the perfect place to have a drink with your friends because it's never too crowded. $8-$11
- Chatham Bars Inn, 297 Shore Rd., +1 508-945-0096,. Main dining room, beach house, tavern, or the intimate Chef’s Table & Wine Cellar. Expensive. Dinner dances every Saturday night in the summer. Sunday night Grand Buffet. Afternoon tea.
- The Impudent Oyster, 15 Chatham Bars Av., +1 508-945-3545. A fave. Creative menu, and a tad pricey. Convenient to shopping village.
- Chatham Fish & Lobster, 1291 Main Street, ☎ 508-945-0545, . 9-6. Great place to enjoy lunch/dinner: lobster rolls, hamburgers, fried seafood, sandwiches/wraps, salads, and daily specials.
- The RooBar, 907 Main St., +1 508-945-9988, .
- The Red Nun Bar & Grill, 746 Main St., +1 508-348-0469 .
- Christian's Piano Bar, 443 Main St., +1 508-945-3362.
- Chatham Fish & Lobster, 1291 Main Street, ☎ 508-945-0545, . 9-6. Great place to enjoy lunch or dinner; lobster rolls, fried clams, sandwiches/wraps, salads, and daily specials.
Hotels and Motels
- Chatham Bars Inn, 297 Shore Rd., +1 508-945-0096., . Year round. One of the top hotels world-wide. AAA Four Diamond. Right on the Atlantic -- beautiful, luxurious and pricey.
- Pleasant Bay Village Resort Motel, 1191 Orleans Road, +1 508-945-1133, or +1 800-547-1011 Fax: +1 508-945-9701, . One and two bedroom suites with full kitchens. Heated pool, A/C. AAA Three Diamond.
- Chatham Seafarer, 2079 Main St., +1 508-432-1739 or +1 800-786-2772, Fax: +1 508-432-8969, . Nice location, nice folks. $85-$200 low/high season.
- The Hawthorne Motel, 196 Shore Rd., +1 508-945-0372, Fax: +1 508-945-9041,  Waterfront with private beach. Kitchenette units and motelrooms as well as one private cottage. $185-$225 /night for rooms.
- Chatham Highlander, 946 Main St., +1 508-945-9038, Fax: +1 508-945-5731, 
- The Chatham Motel, 1487 Main St., +1 800-770-5545 or +1 508-945-2630,. Within a mile and a half of town center. A/C, refrigerator, cable. $85-$185 low/high season. Mid-week discounts.
- Chatham Tides Waterfront Lodging, 394 Pleasant Street, +1 508-432-0379 . 24 rooms Top notch.
Inns and Bed & Breakfasts
- Chatham Wayside Inn, 512 Main St., +1 508-945-5550 or +1 800-242-8426, Fax: +1 508-945-1884 . 56 rooms Top notch.
- Queen Anne Inn, 70 Queen Anne Rd., +1 508-945-0394 or +1 800-545-4667, Fax: +1 508-945-4884 . Variety of rooms. Antique furnishings.
- Bradford Inn of Chatham, 26 Cross St., +1 508-945-1030 Fax: +1 508-945-9652, . 38 rooms and suites Outdoor heated pool.
- Old Harbor Inn, 22 Old Harbor Rd., +1 508-945-4434 or +1 800-942-4434 Fax: +1 508-945-7665 . 8 rooms
- Moses Nickerson House Inn, 364 Old Harbor Rd., +1 508-945-5859 or +1 800-628-6972 Fax: +1 508-945-7087 .
- Cranberry Inn at Chatham,359 Main St., +1 508-945-9232 or +1 800-332-4667, Fax: +1 508-945-3769 . 18 rooms. $120 -$300 high/low season.
- Carriage House Inn, 407 Old Harbor Rd., +1 508-945-4688, +1 800-355-8868 Fax: +1 508-945-8909 . 7 rooms
- Captain's House Inn, 369 Old Harbor Rd., +1 508-945-0127 Fax: +1 508-945-0866 .
- Nantucket House Bed & Breakfast, 2647 Main St., +1 866-220-2547 . 5 rooms
Remember that traffic is heavy on summer weekends. If leaving on Sunday, try to avoid mid-day.
|This is a guide article. It has a variety of good, quality information including hotels, restaurants, attractions, arrival and departure info. Plunge forward and help us make it a star!