SouthPark is a semi-urban district in south-central Charlotte. A hub of business and retail activity, it is also home to some of the city's most exclusive neighborhoods. In recent years SouthPark has experienced a sudden influx of midrise condominiums and office buildings to complement its suburban-style malls and business centers. It is still essentially an outlying area in relation to Charlotte's central districts, but SouthPark has become the city's primary destination for upscale shopping and dining.
Like most suburban areas, SouthPark is dominated by wide boulevards. Thus, the easiest method for exploring the district is the automobile. Most locales worth visiting are within seconds of a major street, and parking is adequate throughout the neighborhood. Major arteries include Providence Rd. (NC Hwy 16), Randolph Rd., Sardis Rd., and Rama/Fairview.
It is strongly advised that visitors obtain a street map of SouthPark before exploring the area. The neighborhood is notorious for its changing street names and complicated intersections.
There are a few bus lines that serve SouthPark, though buses are generally not used by affluent southsiders. Bus lines 16, 20, and 29 are the most useful for entering SouthPark; however, it is rather difficult to explore the neighborhood using only buses as transportation. Exercise judgment before using the buses as a last resort.
SouthPark is still primarily a residential neighborhood, and therefore offers little in the way of public attractions. There are many stately homes in the area that may be of interest, and the office-tower cluster at the center of the district makes a good photograph.
- SouthPark Mall . Charlotte's upscale shopping destination, including Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy's, Dillard's and Belk. This is the lynchpin of the rapidly-developing SouthPark neighborhood, about 15 minutes south of Uptown. The mall is reputed for having a slightly snobbish atmosphere, but the upscale shopping is the best in the area.
- Baoding, 4722 Sharon Rd. (Sharon Corners Shopping Center), ☎ 704-552-8899. One of Charlotte's best-reputed Chinese restaurants. Engaging decor and high-quality ingredients make this a relative bargain compared to its pricier competition.
- Wolfman Pizza, 106 S Sharon Amity Rd # B, ☎ 704-366-3666. Award-winning gourmet pizza has made this small chain highly successful in Charlotte -- so much that their pizza can be found on local grocery shelves. Recommended for the discriminating pizza consumer.
- La Bibliotheque, 1901 Roxborough Rd (Across from SouthPark Mall), ☎ 704-635-5000. French-American fusion restaurant, with a sophisticated menu and an extensive wine list. Boasts of being voted Charlotte's most romantic restaurant. Reservations suggested.
- Harper's, 6518 Fairview Rd, ☎ 704-522-8376.
- Il Posto Osteria, 6908 Phillips Place Ct, ☎ 704-643-6070.
- Manzetti’s, 6401 Morrison Blvd, ☎ 704-364-9334.
- McCormick & Schmick’s, 4335 Barclay Downs Dr, ☎ 704-442-5522.
- Morton’s, The Steakhouse, 4331 Barclay Downs Dr, ☎ 704-365-1330.
- Noble’s, 6801 Morrison Blvd, ☎ 704-367-9463.
- The Palm Restaurant, 6705-B Phillips Place Ct. (Phillips Place Shopping Center), ☎ 704-552-7256.
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House, 6000 Fairview Rd, ☎ 704-556-1115.
- ''Upstream'', 6902 Phillips Place Ct, ☎ 704-556-7730.
- Zebra, 4521 Sharon Rd, ☎ 704-442-9525.
- Hotel Charlotte Restaurant, 705 S Sharon Amity Rd, ☎ 704-364-6955.
- Renaissance Charlotte SouthPark, 5501 Carnegie Blvd, +1 704-501-2510, . A luxury Renaissance hotel just outside of downtown Charlotte North Carolina in the SouthPark area. $119-209.