Ballantyne is a sprawling suburb on the extreme southern boundary of Charlotte. Having risen out of farmland in the past decade, it is dominated by low-density, poorly planned development. Though Ballantyne is far from a tourist area, it is a center of commerce and residential activity in southern Mecklenburg County. It technically comprises 2,000 acres of development, though its sphere of influence is much larger. Unfortunately for visitors, much of the area around Ballantyne is a relatively disconnected maze of subdivisions and shopping centers.
As a suburban district, Ballantyne is most "conveniently" traveled by car. It sits off Exit 61 on I-485, and major thoroughfares include Ballantyne Commons Parkway, Johnston Rd., and Providence Rd. West.
Visitors without a car are advised to avoid Ballantyne, as it is not feasible to explore the area by foot. The city bus system  only runs one regular route out here (Route #43) which connects Ballantyne to the LYNX  light rail line, which runs north to Uptown.
- At the intersection of Johnston Rd. and Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. stand four large monuments. The 30-foot arches are inscribed with esoteric symbolism that relays a history of Charlotte.
- Indie Movies at the Ballantyne Village Theater 
- Ballantyne Resort, 10000 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy., +1 704-341-4653. Located adjacent to posh Ballantyne Country Club. Features a spa, pool, and golf club. Also, nice details such as babysitting service and shopping-shuttles are offered to guests. The restaurant gets rave reviews. Probably the city's best resort spa, located on the southern edge of town. If you want to create a buzz, ask for a $300 "Ballantini" from the bar; it has gold leaf around the rim and you get a bottle of champagne to boot. $160 - $400.
- Dana Rader School of Golf. Renowned for its superior quality and host to one of the USA's 50 best golf instructors, the Dana Rader school has an unsurpassed reputation in the region.
- Ballantyne Village is the "town center" of the area, and features numerous stores and restaurants. In addition, there are several major shopping centers within a few minutes' drive of Ballantyne, including Stonecrest Shopping Center, Carolina Place Mall, and The Arboretum.
- Looby Loo, Blakeney Village Shops, +1 704-544-3110, . Wonderful toy store.
- Cajun Yard Dog, 8036 Providence Rd., ☎ 704-752-1750. Located in the large Arboretum shopping center near I-485 in south Charlotte. Though this is somewhat less authentic than Charlotte's other offerings, it is also a bit more affordable. Plenty of other options in the area if the line is long.
- Jade Sushi Bar, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14815 John J. Delaney Dr., ☎ +1-704-369-5088. Asian fusion.
- Villa Antonio Ristorante, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14825 John J Delaney Dr., ☎ +1-704-369-5060. Upscale Italian with romantic ambience.
- Village Bistro, Ballantyne Village Shopping Center, 14815 John J. Delaney Dr., ☎ +1-704-369-5190. Chic restaurant with an extremely wide array of menu options.
- Wolfman Pizza, 10620 Providence Rd., ☎ 704-845-9888. Award-winning gourmet pizza has made this small chain highly successful in Charlotte -- so much that their pizza can be found on local grocery shelves. Recommended for the discriminating pizza consumer.
- ONEO Bistro and Wine Bar, 7725 Colony Rd., +1 704-544-1170, . Elegant and expensive wine bar with a large patio area.
Fox and Hound
- The Ballantyne Resort includes one of the city's most prominent and expensive hotels. See details above.
- Staybridge Suites Charlotte-Ballantyne, 15735 John J Delaney Dr., 1-877-660-8545.
- Courtyard by Marriott Ballantyne, 15660 John J Delaney Dr., +1 704-341-0041.
Ballentyne has suffered major image problems recently, stemming from very vocal opposition to affordable housing for working families. While Charlotte is a generally welcoming city, caution should be used when visiting the still mostly segregated Ballentyne. 
- Calvary Church, 5801 Matthews Rd, Pineville, ☎ +1 704 341-5320, . Large non-denominational church in south Charlotte, probably the city's largest single congregation. Stadium-style building is one of the largest structures in the southern part of the city.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!