The West Virginia State Capitol
Charleston , established in 1794, is the state capitol of West Virginia. With a population of 53,421 (as of 2000), Charleston is the largest city in West Virginia. It's located at the junction of Interstates 77, 79, and 64, as well as the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha Rivers, the latter of which flows prominently through the city.
Charleston is accessible by three interstates - I-77 goes from Parkersburg in the northwest to Beckley and Bluefield in the south; I-64 goes from Huntington in the west to Beckley and Lewisburg in the southeast; and I-79 begins in Charleston and continues to Morgantown in the northeast. Portions of I-64 to the east of Charleston are toll.
You can also fly into Yeager Airport  (CRW), which is near the junction of I-77 and I-64. Yeager Airport offers daily service to and from Atlanta (Delta), Charlotte (USAir), Chicago (United), Cincinnati (Delta), Cleveland (Continental), Detroit (Northwest), Houston (Continental), Philadelphia (USAir), Pittsburgh (USAir), and both Washington-Dulles (United)and Washington-Reagon National (USAir). Also American Airlines has started new service to New York-LaGuardia and AirTran has started service to Orlando.
- The West Virginia State Capitol, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard E, +1 304-558-4839. 9AM-7PM M-Sa, 12PM-7PM Su. Guided tours available 9AM-3:30PM M-F. The largest state capitol dome in the country, covered in 23-karat gold leaf. The complex also contains the Culture Center, the Governor's Mansion and the Holly Grove Mansion, as well as many historical statues on the grounds.
- Avampato Discovery Museum, 300 Leon Sullivan Way, +1 304-561-3575, . 10AM-5PM W-Sa, 12PM-5PM Su. Two floors of interactive science exhibits, an art gallery, and giant-screen films and planetarium shows in the ElectricSky domed theater. Admission $12.50.
- West Virginia Culture Center, 1900 Kanawha Boulevard East, +1 304-558-0220, . 9AM-8PM M-Th, 9AM-6PM F-Sa, 12PM-6PM Su. Three floors of exhibition space in the West Virginia State Museum, and research materials housed in the State Archives library.
- West Virginia Power, 601 Morris Street (Suite 201), +1 304-344-BATS (2287), . The local baseball team, a Class A affiliate of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Games played at Appalachian Power Park from April through September. Tickets are $7 for one game, up to $490 for a season pass.
Charleston is home to Kanawha State Forest . There are many scenic walking, hiking, biking, and riding trails in the state forest. There is also an outdoor pool that is open in the summer, various camp sites, a shooting range, a small lake for fishing, and stables. Hunting and fishing are allowed in-season. Picnic shelters are available throughout the park and can be rented for parties. There are led walks at various times of the year, information on which is available on the website.
There are also various parks throughout the city such as Magic Island, a nice park located at the confluence of the Elk and Kanawha rivers in South Charlestion which is a favorite haunt for runners, volleyball players, and frisbee lovers. It has a walking track, sand volleyball court, and picnic areas.
A stones throw from downtown, in Charleston's South Hills, the Carriage Trail is a beautiful and historical trail that leads to former Governor William MacCorkle's hilltop mansion, the former site of the Sunrise Science Museum. At the bottom of the trail lies the burial ground of two Confederate spies executed by Union troops in 1863.
Charleston has three newspapers published under the umbrella corporation of Charleston Newspapers, 1001 Virginia Street E, +1-800-WVA-NEWS (982-6397):
- The Charleston Gazette, . Daily weekday paper, published in some form since 1873.
- Charleston Daily Mail, . Daily afternoon newspaper.
- Sunday Gazette-Mail, . Sunday paper jointly published by the Gazette and the Daily Mail.
The city also has one university:
- University of Charleston, 2300 MacCorkle Avenue SE, +1 304-357-4750 or +1 800-995-GO-UC (4682), . A private, co-educational, residential university founded in 1888, offering baccalaureate degrees in 29 fields, associate degrees in 5 fields, and master's degrees in business administration and human resource management.
- Charleston Town Center Mall, 3000 Charleston Town Center, +1 304-345-9525, . 10AM-9PM M-Sa, 12:30PM-6PM Su. 130 specialty stores, three major department stores, Picnic Place and specialty restaurants, and an atrium with a three-story waterfall and extensive greenery.
Although it isn't exactly a mecca of cuisine, Charleston is the mecca of cuisine for West Virginia, with a variety of options catering to different tastes and budgets. One of the best things about eating here is that there are very few tourist traps, since major tourism in Charleston has not yet caught on. Unfortunately, the lack of tourism also means that the restaurants can be be generic; chains like T.G.I. Friday's, Outback, Olive Garden, and Red Lobster are common. There are, however, some more unique local eateries:
- Deli-D-Lite, 611 Chestnut Street, +1 304-768-5223. 5PM-11PM M-F, 4PM-11PM Sa, 5PM-10PM Su.
- New Moon Café, 714 Lee Street, +1 304-342-7687. 11AM-2:30PM M-F.
- Penn Station, 4002 MacCorkle Avenue in Kanawha City, +1 304-720-7366. 11AM-10PM M-Sa, 11Am-9PM Su.
- Shape Shop, 1801 Patrick Street Plaza, +1 304-346-5328. 9AM-8PM M-Tu & Th, 9AM-7PM W & F, 8AM-4PM Sa. A low-cal deli.
- Capitol Roasters Café, 160 Summers Street, +1 304-720-7375 (cafe) and +1 304-344-4900 (market). 7AM-8PM M-Th, 7AM-11PM F, 8AM-11PM Sa, 10AM-6PM Su.
- Rice Bowl, 121 Goff Mountain Road in Cross Lanes, +1 304-776-6888. Daily 11:30AM-10PM. Chinese.
- Banana Joe's, 201 Capitol Street, +1 304-342-1872. 5PM-3AM Tu-Su. Caribbean bar and grill.
- Rock & Eat Too, 400 Second Avenue in the Ramada Plaza Hotel, +1 304-744-4641. Daily 11AM-1PM and M-Th 5PM-9PM, Sa-Su 5PM-8PM.
- Delish, Inc., 110 McFarland Street, +1 304-346-4177. 10AM-3PM M, 11AM-8PM Tu-Sa. Gourmet wraps. Credit not accepted.
- Ellen's Homemade Ice Cream, 225 Capitol Street, +1 304-343-6488. The best ice cream in the city! Homemade as the name of the shop has and in various flavors, including new weekly sorbet and ice cream flavors. This shop also sells coffee and various lunch foods including soups and several vegetarian dishes.
- Leonoro's Spaghetti House, 1507 Washington Street, +1 304-343-1851. 11AM-8:30PM M-Th, 11AM-9PM F, 3PM-9PM Sa.
- Fresh Seafood Co. Market & Restaurant, 6230 MacCorkle Avenue in St. Albans, +1 304-768-9728. 10:30AM-10PM M-Sa, 12PM-8PM Su; Capitol Market (304-343-3134) 9AM-6PM M-Sa, 12PM-5PM Su.
- Tidewater Grill 1060 Charleston Town Ctr +1 (304) 345-2620; Serves seafood and pasta, located at the edge of the Charleston Town Center Mall, walking distance from the downtown hotels.
- Kaifu Japanese Cuisine & Sushi Bar 150 Court St., +1 (304) 344-0500, located opposite of the mall, walking distance from the downtown hotels.
Lola's Pizza 1038 Bridge Rd Charleston, WV 25314 (304) 343-5652 Located in South Hills
Joe Fazio's1008 Bullitt St., +1 304-344-3071. Authentic Italian food, with delicious steak and pasta options and a good wine selection. Reservations are recommended but not necessary.
- Residence Inn by Marriott Charleston, 200 Hotel Circle, ☎ 304-345-4200, .
- Embassy Suites Charleston, 300 Court Street, +1-304-347-8700, .
- Super 8 Motel, 1010 Washington St E, +1-304-345-9779, Budget option downtown with free parking and WiFi.
- Ramada Plaza Charleston, 400 2nd Ave., +1 304-744-4641, .
- Charleston Marriott Town Center, 200 Lee Street East, ☎ 304-345-6500, . A hotel in downtown Charleston offering a health club, meeting and event facilities, swimming pool and Whitewater Grille.
- Fairfield Inn Charleston, 1000 Washington Street East, ☎ 304-343-4661, . Complimentary breakfast.
- Charleston Plaza Hotel, 1010 Washington Street East, ☎ 304-345-9779, .
- Beckley is about 1 hour south on I-77.
- Weston is about 1.5 hours northeast on I-79.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Charleston, West Virginia