Changde is a city in Hunan.
Changde city proper, with a population of almost 500,000 is the largest city in the prefecture of Changde (pop. 6 million).
National Highways 207 and 319 run through the city.
- Changde Airport (常德机场; chang2 de2 ji1 chang3) - This airport has flights to Beijing, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Kunming, and Shanghai.
- Changde Train Station (常德火车站; chang2 de2 huo3 che1 zhan4) - This station lies between Zhangjiajie and Changsha on an East-West line. It is possible to travel nearly anywhere on China's extensive rail network from Changde, but farther destinations (Beijing, for example) would take 24+ hours on the train. For a complete schedule in Chinese, visit  and search for "常德."
- The Central Bus Station (中站; zhong1 zhan4) - This station has buses leaving hourly for Changsha (长沙), Shimen (石门), and a host of other destinations.
- The North Bus Station (北站; bei3 zhan4) - This station has buses to Zhangjiajie (张家界), Cili (慈利), and other destinations.
- Liuye Lake Bus Station (柳叶湖站; liu2 ye4 hu2 zhan4) - This station has buses to Yueyang (岳阳), Huarong (花容), and other destinations.
- The South Bus Station (南站; nan2 zhan4) - This station has buses to the Peach Flower Garden (桃花源) and other destinations.
Buses run regularly throughout the city on set routes. (¥1; ¥1.5 with a/c)
Taxis are cheap and plentiful (¥5 is the starting cost for cabs in Changde). Prices can be negotiated in advance for lengthier rides.
- The Poem Wall - Stretching for miles along the north bank of the river, this wall of poetry is beautiful even for those who can't read the characters. The wall is flanked by a riverside park and makes for a great place to walk and people watch. For a different perspective, stop by at night when the multicolored lights are on. Free admission.
- Buxingjie - Walking Street - This is the most happening part of town and a good place to shop for the most fashionable attire that Changde has to offer. Western food at both the east and west ends.
- Peach Flower Garden (桃花源; Táohuāyuán), (you can catch a bus here from the South Bus Station (南站; Nánzhàn)). This scenic garden was immortalized in Chinese poetry. ¥69 in the off season, ¥79 otherwise.
- South of the Bridge Marketplace (桥南市场; qiao2 nan2 shi4 chang3) - This massive marketplace has the cheapest prices in Changde on a huge variety of goods. Clothing, shoes, appliances, sporting equipment, toys, stationary, and countless other items are sold here. Be sure to bargain for the best deals.
- Changde Beef Noodles (常德牛肉粉; chang2 de2 niu2 rou4 fen3) - Changde is famous for their rice noodles with beef. These can be found at most local restaurants, but you can find some of the best at the east end of waling street or outside the main gate at Number 1 Middle School (常德市一中）.