| || |
Chamba (district)}} |+|
| || |
Revision as of 21:41, 27 February 2010
Chamba is in Himachal Pradesh.
Chamba town is not very big so walking around the town is the best option. There are temples all around town and up on the hill-locks. The Chowgan is the most important part of the town with lush green grass.
- Laxmi Narayan Temple. The main temple of Chamba. This temple was built in the 10th century by Sahil Verman in Shikara style. It continued to be embellished by the Rajas who succeeded to the throne of Chamba.
- Champavati Temple, (Behind the Treasury building and city police station.). The temple of goddess Champavati is shikhara style. This temple is after the name of Champavati, daughter of King Sahil Verman who built this temple in her memory. It is said that Champavati influenced her father to set-up the Chamba city, at the present location. This temple is constructed in Shikara style, with wheel roof and stone curving. This temple is almost equivalent to the size of Laxmi Narayan Temple.
- Vijeshwari Temple, (At the end of Jansali Bazar). Almost 1000 year old and dedicated to Goddess of lightning, Vajreshwar Devi. Architecture of the temple is in Shikhara style.
- Chamunda Devi Temple. This temple is dedicated to the goddess Chamunda in her terrific form. This temple is of a later class and is made in hill type architecture.
- Hari Rai Temple, (Near Chaugan gate). Vishnu temple
- Bansi Gopal Temple, (In the vicinity of Chamba palace). Shikhara style.
- Akhand Chandi Palace. The Palace of the Raja of Chamba, Sahil Verman. It has been turned into the Government College.
- Kalatop Khajjiar Wildlife Sanctuary. This sanctuary is one of the most beautiful sanctuaries in Himachal Pradesh. This sanctuary is a perfect place for the photographers, who love to do natural photography.
- Bhuri Singh Museum. W-M 10AM-5PM. Has some antique items at display. Rs. 10.
- Rang Mahal. Also houses a small post office, has a hosiery where hosiery items along with Chamba Rumal, which has an image of a finely embroidered miniature painting on it, can be bought.
- Market, (In the middle of the town). M-Sa 9AM-8PM. Small market, which has over 200 shops built around parks of different size and a newly built complex by the museum.
There is a considerable amount of Tibetan population in the region so tibetan/chinese noodles, soups and dumplings are available in town, primarily opposite the post office building.
Chamba has several restaurants.
Chamba town has a few outlets (shops and bars) where you can buy cheap liquor. Beer is generally served at Cafe Ravi View after 8pm.
There are several cheap lodges in town:
- Hotel Aroma Palace, Near Pink Palace, Court Lane, Chamba., ☎ +91-1899-225577 (email@example.com), . Restaurant, conference hall and terrace lounge with panoramic view of Chamba Town.
- Hotel City Heart. Privately owned hotel has good accommodation Above Rs. 1000.
- Hotel Hritik Palace. Another privately owned hotel has good accommodation.
- Hotel Iravati. Run by Himachal Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (HPTDC) has cheap and good accommodation with friendly staff. Rs. 500-1200.
- Orchard Huts, . A family run guest house 10k north of Chamba providing trekking services, cookery courses and eco tourism.
- Khajjhiar — popular hill station, one of the favourite destination for Bollywood as many filmmakers come to this place to shoot some sequence for their movies
- Dalhousie — popular hill station, very fascinating and has beautiful colonial architecture