Chalok Lam (also Chaloklum) occupies a very natural picturesque location at the northernmost tip of Ko Pha Ngan. The shoreline stretches for some 3 km and the mountains frame the bay in its entirety. This was once a fishing village where industry dominated the seafront and activity until just a few years ago when the rows of drying squid were removed from the beaches to allow tourism to flourish. There are many Thai-style restaurants and some new funkier bars and restaurants in the village seafront with bungalows across the bay also offering food and drink.
See Ko Pha Ngan for information on getting to the island. From the main port of Thong Sala, truck taxis are available to Chalok Lam every day at around 12:00 when the ferries arrive from Samui and Surat Thani. At other times taxis can be hired but are expensive and the price must be negotiated with the driver. Motorbikes can be rented all over the island for both short- and long-tern rentals. Prices from ฿100 a day.
Walking, renting motorbikesม or shared taxis (from bungalows in Chalok Lam at 10:00) to Thong Sala, the main port.
There is a Thai temple in the village and ceremonies are held each day at 07:30 with all welcome. At Wat Pra Sanctum the head monk Pra Adjan speaks very good English and is very willing to include tourists within the meditation that he leads for the monks.
There is an elephant trekking camp just south of the village near the Thai (Wat Pra Sanctum) and Chinese temples. Several diving schools in the village offer pursuits for the aqua challenged, wake-boarding and water-skiing at Wake Up! Wakeboarding and there are plenty of long-tail boats for hire to tour the island or simply go fishing. A cooking school is also available just outside the village.
The bay in general is much more laid back than other parts of the island and traditionally people party in the south at the Full Moon Party and then chill out in Chalok Lam. The villagers are very friendly and there is a fantastic vibe to the place.
There are several diving school scattered throughout the village including Sail Rock Divers , The Dive Inn , and Chalok Lam Diving .
Local fruit and vegetables are available from roadside stands. There is one mini-market, several Thai markets, a 7-11 and several ATMs in Chalok Lam.
- Geni's Pizza. Family-run Italian restaurant on the water. Weekly pizza nights. Owned by Italian, Geni, and his Thai wife, Pit.
- Nong Nook Thai Food. Local Thai restaurant, good food, popular with tourists.
- Panee's Corner, opposite 7-11. Mama Panee cooks excellent authentic Thai food, BBQ, steaks, and seafood. Panee's Bar opens every night with great cocktails and good music. Monday night features a Monday Madness party!
- Seaside Thai Restaurant. Cheap, long-standing local Thai restaurant. Seafood, curries. On the sea front.
- The World's End Restaurant, Cafe & Bar, 37/1 Moo 7 (directly opposite the main Chalok Lam pier), . 07:30-15:00 low-season, 06:00-22:00 Dec-Apr. English breakfast, eggs Benedict, Heinz baked beans, fresh breads and filter coffee, espresso drinks and British PG Tips tea, Mexican enchiladas, moussaka & Greek salad, calamari, pasta, steaks, chops, roasts, home-made sauces, and gravy.
- Gemiini Bar. Chill-out pool-side bar with friendly people and good music. Happy Hour every day from 18:00 to 20:00, with two cocktails for one. Located at Sail Rock Divers, 1 min walk from the 7/11.
- The Lost Dog, (on the seafront in the centre of town next to Geni's Pizza). Bar with free pool table run by American expat, Dave.
Accommodation is plentiful and will suit most budgets with a range of different styles of bungalow from backpacker to much more up-market, including a new hotel on the seafront in the village. Chalok Lam is known for attracting a long-staying community of western travellers and houses are easy to rent for long-term stayers.
- Chalok Lam Bay Resort, Chalok Lam Bay West. checkin: 12:00; checkout: 11:00. The resort offers a range of beach front bungalows, garden villas and honeymoon suites with extensive grounds, swimming pool, sauna, spa and fitness centre. Lots of activities including jet skiing, wave boarding, windsurfing, etc.
- Fantasea Resort, Chalok Lam Bay East. checkin: 11:00; checkout: 10:00. On the eastern end of the bay. A-frame bungalows directly on the beach. ฿600-3,000.
- The Mandalai Hotel, Chalok Lam Bay centre. checkin: 11:00; checkout: 10:00. The first boutique-style hotel on the island. ฿2,250-3,750.
- Niramon Villas, Chalk Lam Bay East. checkin: 11:00; checkout: 10:00. A new villa complex with swimming pool overlooking the ocean. ฿1750-3,750.
- Villa Hin Ngam, Ao Hin Ngam Chaloklum, Koh Phangan, . Two bedroom cliff top luxury sea view houses for rent. Self-catering property with maid service and laundry facilities. A gourmet kitchen including stove, kitchen island, microwaveม and all necessary cooking equipment are part of the package.
- Wattana Resort, Chalok Lam Bay West. checkin: 11:00; checkout: 10:00. On the west side of the bay. Very spacious, cheap, and offers a very quiet location with traditional classic Thai bungalows. ฿600-2,500.