Central Vancouver Island is on Vancouver Island.
- Nanaimo - The second largest city, and largest port on Vancouver island.
- Port Alberni - Developed as a major forest industry town and a service town for the fishing industry, today it is a popular salmon fishing destination.
- Tofino - Ecotourism center on the beautiful (if wet) west coast of the island. The main attraction is Long Beach which is part of Pacific Rim National Park.
- Courtenay/Comox - The gateway to Mt Washington, Strathcona Provincial Park and some spectacular fishing. These two towns are a beautiful place to visit in summer and winter.
- Ucluelet - Small town on the west coast of Vancouver Island, service center for the fishing industry.
- Ladysmith - 20 minutes south of Nanaimo, tourist town, many shops down main street. Heritage town with restored buildings and beautiful Transfer Beach. Known for its annual Festival of Lights during the third week in November. Also voted one of the top ten "towns" in Canada as published by Harrowsmith Magazine.