Carlsbad  is a city in the north end of San Diego County in Southern California.
Historic Twin Inn in the Carlsbad Village
Carlsbad has a relaxed oceanfront atmosphere away from the madness of LA, but close enough for easy access. It has beaches that are better maintained than its northern neighbor Oceanside. South of Carlsbad is the beach town of Encinitas.
Carlsbad is also a favorite destination for foreign tourists, especially Germans.
For European (and particularly Danish) tourists and young children, Carlsbad's best draw is perhaps Legoland California.
Carlsbad is located about 30 miles north of San Diego on Interstate 5. The Pacific Coast Highway (California State Route 1) passes through Carlsbad as well.
Carlsbad has two train stations: Carlsbad Village (on State Street just north of Grand Avenue) on the north side and Carlsbad Poinsettia (on Avenida Encinas between Palomar Airport Road and Poinsettia Lane) on the south side. Both can be reached via the COASTER  regional rail line, which runs between Oceanside (northern neighbor of Carlsbad) and the Santa Fe Depot in downtown San Diego.
If you are traveling from Los Angeles or Orange County, take Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner  or Metrolink's  Orange County Line to Oceanside. From the Oceanside Transit Center, take the COASTER, a bus, or a taxi to Carlsbad.
Carlsbad's local Palomar Airport (IATA: CLD) has commercial commuter flights to Los Angeles on United Express and to North Las Vegas on Vision Airlines, as well as general aviation.
San Diego International Airport (IATA: SAN)  is the closest major airport to Carlsbad. From SAN, you may take San Diego Transit's Route 992 bus to the Santa Fe Depot, connect to the COASTER, and get off at the COASTER stations at either Carlsbad Poinsettia or Carlsbad Village.
John Wayne Airport (IATA: SNA)  in Orange County is the next closest major airport; the nearest Amtrak/Metrolink stations are in Santa Ana, Tustin, and Irvine.
The North County Transit District  provides public bus service within Carlsbad.
- Legoland California, One Legoland Drive (exit I-5 at Cannon Road, turn east, then turn south onto Legoland Drive), +1 760 918-5346, . Operating hours vary. Sister park to the Danish park themed to the phenomenally popular toy line. Strikingly accurate Lego sculptures, thrill rides, and more. Adults $63, children/seniors $53, children under age 3 free (parking $10 per car, $11 RVs, $5 motorcycles).
- Flower Fields, . For six to eight weeks each year - from early March through early May, almost fifty acres of Giant Tecolote Ranunculus flowers are in full bloom. Admission to the fields is $8, though the fields are quite visible from outside as well.
- Carlsbad Mineral Water Spa, 2802 Carlsbad Blvd, +1 760 434-1887, . There are hot baths in Carlsbad.
- Carlsbad State Beach near the end of Palomar Airport Road, is one of the area's nicest beaches. In warm weather there may be stingrays, so walk carefully. The area also has an R/C Gliderport along the cliffs.
- Carlsbad Village Street Faire, Grand Ave from Carlsbad Blvd to Jefferson St, ☎ +1 760 931-8400, . First Sunday in May and November. 900 vendors and an international food court .
- Carlsbad Pipeline. Beachwear and accessories.
- Carlsbad Premium Outlets, off Carlsbad Village Drive, . Upscale outlet center.
- Benihana. Part of a chain of Japanese restaurants. Their food is good, and they prepare it entertainingly right in front of you.
- Captain Keno's, 158 N Coast Highway 101, +1 760 753-4555. Large portions. $3 breakfast all day, $3 spaghetti after 4.
- Claim Jumper, south of town on I-5. Part of a chain of tasteful Old West themed restaurants featuring large proportions of good food. Especially recommended is the steak.
- Coyote Bar & Grill. Mostly featuring Southwestern and Mexican food, a wide range of tequilas, and live bands.
- Daily News Cafe. Relaxed breakfast and lunch cafe near the beach. They have Reubens on Sunday.
- Fish House Veracruz located near the train station. Fresh seafood.
- Jay's Gourmet. Pizza and seafood - and seafood pizza.
- Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill, at the Carlsbad Company Stores near Palomar Airport Rd. & I-5., . A chain of unique restaurants spanning California and several other western states which has its roots in the San Diego area and is headquarterd in Carlsbad. Try an Original Fish Taco.
- Pizza Port Carlsbad, 571 Carlsbad Village Dr., . Beer enthusiasts will want to check out this place, which was featured in the Beer Advocate's Top 50 places to drink beer in America . The pub is family-friendly, and the California-style pizza is a local favorite. They also host local beer-tastings and microbrew events.
- Vinaka Cafe. Fresh coffee, tea and food in a comfortable coffee shop atmosphere.
- Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort, 3075 Carlsbad Blvd, +1 760 434-7020, . Charming beach-side vacation resort.
- Carlsbad Seapointe Resort, 6400 Surfside Lane, ☎ +1 877 477-7368, . checkin: 4:00PM; checkout: 11:00AM. A seaside resort located adjacent to Carlsbad State Beach. Each condo has full kitchens, fireplaces and balconies with views. Two ocean view pools, lighted tennis and basketball courts, a putting green and fitness center. $98-$399. (33.113201,-117.322228)
- Park Hyatt Aviara Resort, 7100 Aviara Resort Drive, +1 760 448-1234 (fax: +1 760 603-6801, . Formerly the Four Seasons Aviara, this is a fine luxury resort, which features a golf course designed by Arnold Palmer.
- Grand Pacific Palisades, . A resort overlooking the California flower fields, less than a mile from the beach. Across the street from a pedestrian entrance to Legoland.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton, 2223 Palomar Airport Road, ☎ +1 760-431-2266, . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. An all-suite hotel with fully-equipped kitchens. Complimentary hot breakfast daily, dinner with beer and wine Monday-Thursday, and high-speed Internet.
- La Costa Resort & Spa, 2100 Costa Del Mar Road, (800) 854-5000 .
- Motel 6 Carlsbad Downtown, 1006 Carlsbad Village Drive, +1 760 434-7135 (fax: +1 760 730-0159), .
- Quality Inn & Suites. 751 Raintree Dr, +1 760 931-1185 (fax: +1 760 931-0970), . Hot breakfast, Hi-speed Internet, parking, outdoor heated pool, fitness center, in-room fridge/microwave all included in rate. Walking distance to beach.
- Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, 2000 Faraday Ave., +1 760 431-9999 (fax: +1 760 431-0777), . Suites with full kitchens.
- Seabreeze Vacation Rentals, 3150 Ocean Street, +1 760 828-0797, .
- Sheraton Carlsbad Resort, 5480 Grand Pacific Drive, +1 760 827-2400.  Panoramic Pacific Ocean views from hotel and its 20 Grill & Wine Bar. Expansive free-form swimming pool and unique, marine-based treatments in its spa.
- Surf Motel Carlsbad Near Legoland, 3136 Carlsbad Blvd, +1 800 308-5457, .
- Winners Circle Resort, 550 Via de la Valle, ☎ +1 866-469-8222, . Winners Circle Resort is just minutes away from the beautiful beaches of Del Mar and next to the famous Del Mar Race Track. Free parking and free WiFi are included. Offering studio, one and two bedroom suites, it's just twenty minutes north of San Diego. This resort hotel features an outdoor pool, hot tub, tennis courts, fitness center, barbeque grills, and clubhouse.
Carlsbad State Beach. A beautiful area south of town on the Pacific Coast Highway. Reservations required most dates.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!