Carlisle  is an English cathedral and historical fortress city located in the modern county of Cumbria, at the northern end of the Lake District and 10 miles from the Scottish border.
The M6 runs just through the outskirts of Carlisle, 10 miles before the scottish border.
The West Coast Main Line from London Euston to Glasgow Central and Edinburgh Waverley runs through Carlisle. A variety of companies operate services through the area.
Explore the Eden Valley.
- Carlisle Cathedral  - founded in 1112.
- Carlisle Castle, Carlisle city centre, . Maintained by English Heritage, Carlisle Castle was first established in 1093 by an English king, William II, and has guarded the border area for 900 years. Admission: adult £4, children £2, concessions £3.
Museums and Galleries
- Tullie House Museum, Castle Street, . An excellent museum dedicated to all aspects of Border life and featuring great exhibits relating to Hadrian's Wall. Admission adults £5.20, concessions £3.60, child under 16 £2.60, family £14.50, children under 5 free'.
Carlisle offers easy access to many parts of Hadrian's Wall (though the Hadrian's Wall Footpath is just a scenic route along a path where wall was). The city runs just to the north of this historic landmark.
Visit the cathedral, very impressive for a city of its size.
The Lanes Shopping Centre, with entrances on English Street and Lowther Street is the main shopping centre in Carlisle. It houses mainly national chains such as Debenhams, New Look, BHS and HMV.
English Street is a large pedestrianised thoroughfare running from The Lanes to the train station. It includes a large Marks & Spencer, House of frazer, Topshop and many more.
Strawberry Fields: very good second hand and retro clothing store near the Law Courts.
Bookcase: a massive second hand book store that spans four floors and a basement with a large stock of book, both fiction and non-fiction as well as CDs and LPs. You could spend hours in this store opposite the cathedral that has friendly staff.
- Foxes Cafe Lounge. Amazing coffee, healthy food, wonderful environment, art gallery, music, performance, art and more. 
- Concrete on Lowther Street is a popular nightclub.
- Botchergate is lined with bars of differing styles and expense.
- Swallow Hilltop, ☎ 01228 529 255 (email@example.com), . Heated pool, sauna and gym.
- Willowbeck Lodge, Lambley Bank, Scotby, CA4 8BX (From M6 take A69 to Newcastle. First exit to right and into village. Go under railway bridge and turn right.), . checkin: 10 pm; checkout: 11.00 am. Luxury b&b in architect designed house with private grounds. Evening meals available and fully licenced. Full access to the internet. £100.
- Hall Hills (Self-Catering Holiday of the Year), Raughton Head, Dalston, CA5 7AN (4 miles south west of Carlisle), ☎ 016974 76779, . Five self-catering cottages in converted 17th century stone barns.
- ibis Carlisle, ☎ (+44)122/8518000 (H3443@accor.com), . Ideally situated in the historic capital of Cumbria and only a short drive from the Lake District, ibis Carlisle grants immediate access to historic points of interest within the city.