Canggu is a beach area in South Bali, north of Seminyak and south of Tanah Lot.
Canggu has a very long black sand beach
Canggu proper is a small village on the beach about 20 minutes north of Seminyak, half way to Tanah Lot. Canggu is widely used though to refer to a large coastal stretch of about eight kiliometres, running north from the village of Berawa (just north of Seminyak) to the village of Cemagi (just south of Tanah Lot) taking in Echo Beach, Seseh and Pererenan along the way. It is still a largely rural area away from the beaches, but is being developed fast.
The beaches have dark grey or black sand and are not particularly good for swimming, but do offer some renowned and challenging surfing spots.
The area is popular with many expatriates who choose to live here, and a large number of villas owned by overseas nationals are also located here. Much of the area features quietly undulating terrain with the rice paddies that typify much of south central Bali.
Taxis can be hard to find in this area and most travel tends to be by private car or motorcycle. Consider booking accommodation with a complimentary airport pickup as this is the easiest way to get to Canggu.
- Very pastoral, Canggu offers a chance to observe the daily rhythms of Balinese village life.
- Check out the sunset from your perch on a surfboard.
- Black sand beaches. Amongst the better beaches in this area are Berawa, Echo Beach and Pererenan.
- Umalas Stables, Jl Lestari 9x, Banjar Umalas Kauh, ☎ +62 361 731402 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This is Bali's main horse riding stables and many packages are offered. Trotting along the Canggu beaches is especially popular
- The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course at Tanah Lot, was designed by Greg Norman and is constently voted one of the best golf courses in Asia; it is situated beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot just to the north.
- Various activities are offered at the Canggu Club - Bali's first (and only) country club.
For shopping, take a trip to nearby Seminyak, a 25 minute drive south from Canggu.
- Casa Day Spa & Delivery, Jl. Raya Canggu 58A, ☎ 0361-2149911, . 12.00 noon - 8.00 PM. Casa Day Spa & Delivery. Offer DELIGHTFUL Spa treatments in the COMFORT of your HOME/VILLA and their DAY SPA in Canggu. Rate 5 Star Excellent by Tripadvisor, search for CASA HOME SPA.
- OM Beach Lounge Restaurant, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong (oposite Hotel Tugu), ☎ +62 361 9604121, . 8am - 11pm. OM Beach Lounge Restaurant offers a wide range of International food in a healthy way.Located on the famous Canggu surf spot in a large Bamboo Construction and with nice sunset view you will find the new wave of healthy dining. Organic Market on Sunday and children friendly environment.
- Dukuh, Jl Canggu Club 31, Berawa (directly between the Canggu Club and Berawa Beach). Good value restaurant in a convenient location with nice rice field views. Mains around Rp 30,000.
- The Beach House, Jl Pura Batu Mejan, Canggu (at Echo Beach), ☎ +62 361 7474604, . 7:30AM-midnight. The Beach House is popular with local expats and visitors. Located on Echo Beach, this is the place where the local community gathers in the evenings to watch the legendary sunsets. A variety of eating areas and tables spill out onto a beach side buff, and live music is complemented by seafood barbecues. Most mains Rp 25,000-50,000. (8.660244,115.129617)
- Sukerti's Garden Restaurant, Jl Pantai Berawa (next to Legong Keraton Hotel), ☎ +62 361 8550056. 7AM-11PM. A garden restaurant in the Pantai Berawa Area close to the surf spot. Western and Asian food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Free WiFi facility, surfer shower and a garden. From Rp 20,000.
- Sol Beach Cafe, Jl Pura Batu Mejan, ☎ +62 361 7453897 (email@example.com), . 8AM-9:30PM. Beachside cafe offering local food plus decent pizzas and burgers.
There is no real bar culture in Canggu, but the trendy designer bars of Seminyak are only a 20 to 25 minute drive away.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under US$50
|| Over US$130
There are a variety of small hotels and bungalow collections in this area. The most prevalent form of travel accommodation though is a seemingly never ending supply of private villas.
- The Chill House, Jl Kubu Manyar 22, ☎ +62 813 53376872, . Surf retreat. Weekly packages include meals and accommodation. Surfing lessons, yoga, massages and temple trips can all be added to your package. From US$50.
- e-homestay Canggu, Jl Pantai Pererenan (300 m from Pererenan Beach), ☎ +62 878 62570040, . A homestay with sea and rice field view. 1 min walk to the surf beach at Pererenan. US$28 / Rp 250,000.
- The Raja Ombak Surfers Resort (Home of the Stormrider-Surfcamp Bali), Jl Subak Pangi, Pererenan (""phone="+62), . A surfers resort. Weekly packages include breakfast, accommodation and surf-guiding. Yoga, massages and temple trips can be organised. From US$40.
- Legong Keraton Beach Hotel, ☎ +62 361 730280 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . A long established hotel on Berawa beach (the southern part of greater Canggu). More than a bit run down, but has a good quality spa and restaurant. Offers single room accommodation and beachfront cottages. From US$80.
- Voyager Boutique Creative Retreat, Jl Nelayan 300, ☎ +62 878 6242 7774, +62 878 6242 7775 (email@example.com). checkin: 1PM; checkout: 11AM. A boutique hotel about 900 m from the beach. US$25-80.
- Desa Seni, Jl Kayu Putih 13, Pantai Berawa, ☎ +62 361 8446392, . Each room in this self-styled "village" is situated in an antique house, with a newly refurbished interior. Has a saltwater pool, spa, a restaurant with many organic and vegetarian options, and yoga classes twice daily. From US$150.
- Hotel Tugu Bali, Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, Canggu, ☎ +62 361 731701,, . Beach-side hotel with good service and numerous dining and spa options. This hotel contains many Indonesian antiques and beautiful relics. Worth a visit just for the antiques and restaurant. From about US$300.
- Villa Asmara, Cemagi, Canggu. Set snugly between the beach and rice fields of Cemagi, Canggu on Bali’s south-west coast, Villa Asmara marries classic Balinese architecture with the comforts of modern living. Featuring a large swimming pool, games room, shared tennis court and four spacious bedrooms this fully staffed villa is ideal for families craving peace and privacy. url="http://www.www.villaasmara.com" From USD 450.
- Villa Echo Beach, Jl. Batu Mejan, Gg Echo, ☎ +6281386637111 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 12PM. 2, 3 and 4 bedroom private pool villas only 250 m to Echo Beach From US$120.
- Belle Bali Villas (Bali Canggu Villas), Jl. Raya Canggu gang Bintang (Canggu,Bali), ☎ +62 361 788 6877 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. From US$130.
- Leacott Retreats, Jl. Pantai Berawa, Tibubeneng, (firstname.lastname@example.org). Private Villa with 3 bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, private pool, fully equipped kitchen and daily chauffeur service included. Staffed with daily housekeeping and 24hr security. url="http://www.leacottretreats.com/" checkin="" checkout="" price=""> From AU$160-330/night.
- Ametis Villa (Bali Luxury Private Villas), Jl Pantai Batu Bolong, ☎ +62 361 773888 (email@example.com, fax: +62 361 773800), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: noon. From US$475.
- Anyar Estate, Jl Bumbak Dauh, Umalas (off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 736559 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 5 private villas, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom villas each with its own pool, 24 hr security, concierge, and room service. From US$250.
- Villa Maridadi, . Villa Maridadi is a beautiful five-bedroom beachfront home nestled between rice fields and the ocean in the traditional village of Cemagi, Canggu on Bali’s south-west coast. Fully staffed with a 20m swimming pool, tennis court and games room it is perfect for families or groups seeking a luxurious yet comfortable home. From USD 895.
- Nilofaur Villa, . Large private villa built in 2007. Good location. 17 m swimming pool and fully equipped gym. The Buwit River borders the gardens. 5 bedrooms, private pool and garden. Fully staffed including private cook and maids. US$700-1,000.
- Villa Puri Bawana, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer, ☎ +62 361 731 074, . 5 bedroom villa estate, with 30 m swimming pool is in 7,000² m of gardens surrounded by rice fields and is within walking distance of the beach. The estate also has membership at the Canggu Club allowing its guests to access the sporting and social facilities featured there. from US$ 1025.
- Salimett, Jl Raya Semer no 883, Semer (100 m from Berawa beach), . Fully staffed 4 bedroom villa is designed in traditional Bali style with individual antique joglo's for each of the rooms. Bar and chill-out area, 20 m private pool, kitchen, dining room for 12, main living room and entertainment room. From US$635.
- Simona Oasis and Spa, . 5 bedroom villa with 1,000² m private spa on a spur of land at the confluence of two rivers. Walking distance from the beach. Fully staffed, car and driver included. From US$925.
- Uma Di Beji, . Accessed via its own 150 m driveway and bridge. 5 bedroom villa in a secluded rice field location. Various buildings, all with traditional Balinese alang-alang (thatched) roofs, frame the gardens and the large suites of the house. The mature garden and numerous water features lead down to a large lava rock swimming pool. US$850-1,250.
- Villa Kavya, (next to the Canggu Club), ☎ +62 361 754344, . Modern architecture meets traditional Balinese culture in this villa. 4 bedrooms, a TV room, pool and lush garden. Comes fully staffed and includes cook and guards. US$600.
- Villa Mako, . 3 bedroom retreat with swimming pool and large garden. The single-storey villa is neo-colonial in style, similar to the Dutch guesthouses in Java, characterised by louvred shutters, old teak doors and high wooden ceilings built of old timbers. The villa is fully staffed and has a private swimming pool. US$370-490.
- Villa Menari, Jl Brick lane (just off Jl Bumbak), ☎ +62 361 7447643 (email@example.com), . A private villa in the rice paddies. The villa comes with car and driver and personal chef. From US$400..
- Villa Ira Bali, (in the Pantai Berawa Estate), . 5 bedrooms villa. Sunset views over the Indian Ocean. From US$1200.
- The bright lights, shopping centres and nightlife of Seminyak are just 25 minutes away.
- The temple of Tanah Lot, famed for its sunsets, and the Nirwana golf course is 20 minutes away by car.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!