Camps Bay is a suburb in Cape Town on the Cape Peninsula of South Africa. Originally known as Kamps Baai it was once considered to become Cape Town's harbour. It has become a tourism hot spot because it offers a great combination of restaurants, bars, amenities, accommodation and a fantastic beach, all very close to each other.
Follow the coastal road from the Cape Town CBD westwards around Table Mountain or use the beautiful panoramic Chapmans Peak Drive to get there.
By public transport
There is no official public transport yet, so your only choice would be sightseeing tourist busses that stop from time to time to give you the chance to hop off and later on again.
Camps Bay can easily be experienced by foot. However if you are staying in at the top of Camps Bay, it can take up to an hour to walk back from the beach. There are plenty of taxis available though, and it is one of the few places in Cape Town where a tourist will not necessarily need their own transport.
- Beautiful view on the Twelve Apostles, a rock formation of the Table Mountain massive.
- The beachfront with its restaurants and bars and the beach.
- Enjoy the atmosphere in this exclusive town and relax at the beach. Maybe visit some of the restaurants to spoil yourself.
- Do some mountain hiking to get some great views.
- Paraglide down from Lions Head or Signal Hill
A granadilla lolly on the beach on a sweltering hot summers day! As the Ice Cream men on the beach will tell you: "a lolly for your dolly!"
Camps Bay has a number of restaurants and cafes. In total there are probably about thirty, the majority of which are opposite the beach, stretched along Victoria Road, which is the main road of Camps Bay (runs parallel to the beach front). Some well known restaurants are Theos, Codfather (for seafood) and Summerville.
- Blues. an institution with a very well known brand. The restaurant has been around for a long time, and was repurchased by the original owners in 2005, which should see it return to it's former hights.
- Primi Piatti, (on the Llandudno side of Camps Bay). excellent value and huge portions
Besides these three bars, just about every restaurant in Camps Bay offers great views, and is a super spot for a drink (or a sundowner as local Capetonians like to call it).
- Cafe Caprice. is very popular with the local trendy crowd, especially on a Sunday night.
- Karma. an upmarket bar, that is very popular. Wednesdays and Fridays are especially popular.
- Sapphire, (next door to Blues restaurant). a popular sundowner spot, and is less pretentious than Caprice.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a standard double room:
|| Under R500
|| R500 to R1000
|| Over R1000
Camps Bay offers a wide range of accommodation. There is only one large hotel, but there are a proliferation of B&Bs, guesthouses and self-catering villas and apartments. Most tend to be in the higher end of the market; either four star or five star, although the guesthouses and self-catering options generally offer far better value than equivalent hotels.
- Camps Bay Tourism, 69 Victoria Road, Camps Bay, Cape Town, ☎ +27 (0)21 437 9701 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Bed and breakfast with a 'dipping pool' in the back. Also offers Harley Davidson, vintage car hire and tours on their doorstep. R445 per person sharing.
- Camps Bay Village & Resort, 32 Camps Bay Drive, ☎ +27 (0)21 438-5560 (email@example.com), . Garden studios, apartments, houses and villas. Budget options from R240 for a single room, from R550 for Travellers Rooms, R1200 for a double.
- Dunkeld Village, Corner of Dunkeld & Willesen, ☎ +27 (0)83 7195735 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This 3 bedroom townhouse has a private pool, garden and is situated walking distance to the beach. From R500 per person.
- Ingleside Apartment, 26 Ingleside Road, Camps bay, ☎ +27 (0)83 617 3419 (email@example.com), . 2 Bedroom Apartment with Private Pool, Sea Views, Free maid & Laundry, Internet & More. From R200 per person.
- Cape Rose Cottage, 8 Hoopoe Avenue, ☎ +27 (0)21 438-1786 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . 4 star self catering suites nestled under the Twelve Apostles From R300 per pppn.
- The Crystal, Medburn Road, Camps Bay, ☎ +27 (0)21 437 9700 (email@example.com), . Luxury serviced apartments with two pools, concierge and secure parking. From R700 per person sharing.
- Lion's View, 4 First Crescent, ☎ +27 (0)21 438-1239 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Lion’s view has a five bedroom villa with a private rim-flow pool and a 2 bedroom penthouse with a plunge pool – both properties have 5 star grading, great views and is situated close to the beach. . From R975 per person sharing.
- Nox Rentals, Camps Bay, ☎ +27 21 424 3353 (email@example.com), . A fantastic portfolio of 60 apartments and villas in Camps Bay & Clifton. From R250 per pppn.
- Totness Place, 4 The Drive, ☎ +27 (0)21 438-3972 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . With a deli bakery and restaurant next door, From R650 for single Rooms, R850 for a double.
- Camps Bay Travel, Camps Bay Drive, ☎ +27 (0) 21 438 1800 (email@example.com), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Instant Online Quotes for over 80 properties in Camps Bay, Make a Confirmed Booking Isnatntly To R38000.
- Camps Bay Retreat, Sedgemore Road, ☎ +27 (0) 21 437 9702 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. 5 star Boutique Hotel set on a Private Nature Reserve From R2400.
- Nox Rentals, Camps Bay, ☎ +27 21 424 3353 (email@example.com), . A selection of Nox Rentals top properties. From R400 per pppn.
- The Twelve Apostles Hotel and Spa, Victoria Rd, ☎ +27 (0) 21 437 9255 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Also has the Azure Restaurant on site. From R4000.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!