Camiguin is a small island province of the Philippines.
Mambajao is the capital of Camiguin, and Catarman is the second largest town on the island.
The island of Bohol is just a small ferry ride away.
This island is definitely off the beaten track for travelers. It is a real gem and feels extremely safe compared to its neighboring islands.
English, Visayan languages (or Bisayan languages) of the Philippines, along with Tagalog.
The ports in Camiguin are located in Guinsiliban, Benoni and Balbagon. There is also an airport located west of Mambajao. There are ferries from Cagayan de Oro, Balingoan (15 daily, 75 min), Misamis Oriental, Cebu City and from Jagna in Bohol. Fast ferries from Jagna to Camiguin leave at 0930 every day year-round. There is also a slower ferry leaving at 1330 everyday during peak season and at 1330 on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday during low season. There are 5 weekly flights to Cebu or Tagbilaran.
Rent a motorcycle for a local. Ask your hotel/hostel for information about renting motorcycles. Expect an informal process. Usually 500pesos/day.
Take a jeepney around the island
Take public or hired Tricycles
- Arden Hot Springs. Make a nighttime visit to these hot springs. It is the perfect time for a warm soak or swim. Drinks are served at the resort. 30 peso.
- Katibawasan Falls. A waterfall at 50m. There are a few picnic benches and the water is cold and refreshing. A must see!
- Mantigue Island, . An islet with beautiful white sand and crystal clear waters off the coast of Maninog.
- Sunken Cemetery. Sunken by a volcano, this cemetery makes a good spot for snorkeling or diving.
- Fiesta. Talk to the locals and see if there is a fiesta happening on the island. It is a must do!
The island of Camiguin is part of the Northern Mindanao earthquake epicenter. It is basically volcanic in origin and is entirely made up of deposits attributed to its volcanoes.
- Mt. Hibok-Hibok
- Mt. Vulcan
- Mt. Guinsiliban
- Mt. Mambajao
- Mt. Timpoong
- Mt. Tres Marias
- Mt. Uhay
There is a good fire oven pizza place around the Agohay beach.
- Treehouse by the Sea. A relaxing treehouse with electricity that borders the ocean. It includes a double bed and attached bathroom. Ask locals for directions - it is near the airport. It has a great view and friendly staff. For a reasonable price they will make meals for you. It costs anywhere from 500-700peso/night depending on the season and is a great place to relax and reflect.
- Enigmata Treehouse. Another set of treehouses nestled away on the northern side of the island
- Catarman Coral Dive Resort, . The Catarman Coral Dive Resort is located in town of Catarman and has three (3) acres of live coral reefs under a crystal clear deep blue sea, located just twenty (20) meters away from its beach front.
- Catarman Inn. The Catarman Inn is located in town of Catarman, the Inn is located across from the elementary school. Room rates are 1,000.00 PHP per 24 hour stay.
- Caves Dive Resort, Agoho, Mambajao, 9100 Camiguin Island, ☎ (63)88-387-0077, . Caves Dive Resort is located in the northern part of the island, west of Mambajao. In addition to accomodation, they arrange diving.
- Camiguin Action Geckos, Agoho, Mambajao, 9100 Camiguin Island, ☎ +63(0)88-387-9146, . Camiguin Action Geckos is located right east of Caves Dive Resort. Geckos arranges daily diving and trekking trips.
- Seascape, Agoho, Mambajao, 9100 Camiguin Island, ☎ +63(0)910-920-6152. Seascape is next door to Jasmine by the Sea and 5 minutes walk along the beach from Camiguin Action Geckos. It offers budget rooms set within a well maintained garden and with great views of the sea. The restaurant serves good food at cheap prices. There is also a good deal on renting a motorbike if you stay there. Room rates are around 500 PHP in low season for a large room with it's own bathroom (cold water only though). The staff are very friendly although not always easy to find.