Calangute is well connected to other parts of Goa by road, and the roads are in fairly good condition.
The nearest railway station is at Thivim, and taxi from there takes about 20 minutes and costs around Rs.300. Other railway stations are at Margao and Vasco.
Frequent state buses go to and from other parts of Goa, but if you're traveling a longer distance, you need to change buses (for example, from the airport you should need three buses to get to Calangute). A bus from Panaji costs Rs.10-15 depending on the route the bus takes.
Prepaid taxi from the outside counter on the airport costs Rs.900, while discussing the price directly with the driver should result into cheaper price.
Calangute is a quite small area, and you can easily walk your way through it. Two-wheelers and cars are naturally available for hire, and getting a taxi or an auto rickshaw is easy.
Kerkar Art Complex, Holiday Street Gaurawado, ☎ +91 832 2276017, . Dr Subodh Kerkar has two galleries, one for his permanent collection, and the other housing the works of Indian and foreign artists.
Relax at the beach. The beach reaches from Candolim to Baga. Known also as the Queen of Beaches, although is rather crowded nowadays. Unfortunately it has also been reported to be a place where women risk to be harrassed. The sand is quite full of beds for sunbathing. These are free at least if you buy something from the beach shack, but expect a lot of salesmen. Beggars are not common.
If you go from the center of the town to the beach, you will find a massive amount of water sports operators; they are cheap and fun but their safety is very doubtful due to the large number of jetskis operating in the breaking waves. At this part of the beach there are no beach shacks.
Hire a bike or scooty for about Rs.150-200 per day and roam around other nearby beaches like Baga, Candolim, Anjuna. You can also ride straight upto Aguada Fort. Make sure to fill your vehicle's tank before you start off the journey. Fuels are sold by many roadside shops at about Rs.90 per liter.
The coastline is nearly full of beach shacks that offer food as well. For better cuisine you can choose from numerous (tourist) restaurants that are found from the main roads. Food is somewhat expensive by Indian standards, but cheap by Western ones - an Indian curry with rice is around Rs.160 in most places and should be enough to feed most.
Oriental - A family run Thai-European Restaurant. Ph. 9822121549. Expect authentic Royal Thai and selected European Cuisine – specialized in tenderloin fillet steaks - better "Little Chateaubriands" -. Location: Calangute Holiday Street, behind Kerkar Art Complex, befor Little Italy.(Former Roma)
Tibetan Kitchen - Great place for Chinese & Tibetan dishes, very authentic and good environment though you need to walk from main road for about 20 meters through a small lane.
Bella Ciao - The Italian Restaurant at La Calypso Hotels, Saunta Vaddo, Calangute-Baga road, Goa - 403516 - Phone: 0832 2275821 Italian
Mirabai Goan Village, off Baga Road. Phone: 98 22176808- The best! Authentic Goan food, excellent sea food, charming knowledgeable owner.
Souza Lobo - Its on the beach, you won't miss it. King Fish and Seafood are excellent.
After Seven, on the border of Candolim-Calangute. Telephone 91-832-227957. Started by Leo, who speaks 4 languages and has travelled the world with the reputed Taj Group of Hotels, this restaurant has been around for 9 years. The restaurant was formerly known as After Eight Restaurant, till Nestle decided that the restaurant was so good that it would prove competition to their mints, asked Leo to change the name, which he did in 2005.
Bob's Inn - on the main road from Calangute to Candolim.
Mooncrest on the Waves
Electric Cats - An wonderful place for authentic seafood & cocktails.
Temptation Shack, Calangute Beach. Friendly and welcoming shack serving excellent food with great service. Take them up on the offer of a barbecue and try the tiger prawns and calamare - amazing.
Xavier's Beach Cafe, Midway Between Calangute and Baga Beach (at the end of the lane which has Tito's pub), ☎ 9822183119. All Day. This is one of the shacks that are present between Baga and Calangute. Outstanding behaviour and reasonable rates compared to the ambience!reasonable as per Goan standards.
Take any road going towards the beach from the main road and find a bunch of places to sleep as you approach the beach. If you choose a smaller road you're likely to find cheaper places. Taxi drivers will be happy to take you to a place run by their friends / people who pay commission, but you need be very strict with your price limit as they tend to take you to a more expensive place.
Hotel Golden Nest Tel: +91 - 9822147148, E-mail: email@example.com.
Maya Holiday Home, Near Calangute Beach.
Never Spoil your holiday by availing accommodation at Maya Holiday Home.
I availed this hotel for 4 days.
Before the trip:
1. After checking with a few guest houses, holiday homes in this off season, somehow I liked the presentation of this place. Glossy pictures, pledge of lots of facilities, close to beach, rural part of Goa compared to Panjim (As I stay at Andheri, Mumbai, so I rather preferred to stay away dean bustle of the city in my holiday) etc.
2. Although it was quite costly compared to some other available very good options around and in Panjim, I finally opted for Maya. The owner agreed to a certain rate and he did not even ask for any money in advance. At that point I took it in positive way, may be as I'm a public servant or may be this person (Mr. Anthony) appeared to be a soft spoken, humble gentleman.
3. Before the trip I was in continuous touch for one month, so that I don't end up searching for rooms after landing in Goa. I also requested him to allocate me with the best possible room.
After reaching Goa -> Calangute-> Maya holiday Home:
1. We'd to pass through several untidy and muddy lanes finally we could see a house similar to the one seen in this website.
2. The front part of the house is quite untidy and muddy. The stair was in horrible condition as it was broken to accommodate some new rooms ( was under construction).
3. The bed sheets, towels etc. seemed not be washed properly for months. One of the bed sheet was very dark( I requested for a replacement which never got entertained in the 4 days of my stay over there).
4. To my horror AC was not working. Mr. Anthony (The owner of this place) belied me that because of voltage issue the AC is not functioning properly. Towards the night it'll work fine as voltage becomes high.
When we came back from the beach after enjoying gentle breeze and some good sips of wine, the AC was still not working. The fan was so slow that We got drenched in sweat. We could not open the door as it was inviting hundreds of mosquitoes inside the room. When I asked Mr. Anthony for mosquito liquidator, he acted like that he is listening about it for the first time in his life. Nevertheless to say, I did not get that on first night and we had a terrible night.
5. The next morning while leaving for Panjim to explore Goa, I told Mr. Anthony about the terrible suffering (suffocation in a closed room without AC and a fan of primitive age) we had the previous night and requested him resolve the AC problem urgently. That guy blatantly told me that technician will come in the afternoon.
6. When I came back from Panjim in the afternoon, I saw that the room was never cleaned and AC is still dead.
Although as there could not be much mess in a day, I did not mind much about the room cleaning. But again had to bear the heat and humidity of Goa of Mid August.
7. A guy(technician) came in between our afternoon nap. Opened the AC cover, and then closed it. Something is wrong there which would be addressed the next day(Only that sly thief Anthony knew at that time why not on the very day).
8. The next morning we enjoyed at Calangute beach, bathed inour room and while leaving for our further exploration of Goa, I told Mr. Anthony to clean the room. When I came back late afternoon, that guy himself was in our bathroom. Although we had to wait long before getting freshen, we could not mind much to see an owner himself doing all these. I wonder why a man earning so much cant even hire a cleaning person to do all these stuffs timely and neatly.
9. Now I'm skipping some more similar incidence and coming to the D Day!! The time to bid adieu Goa. Of course in between AC was never fixed neither we could move to any other room (Anthony claimed that all AC rooms already booked!! which of course was far away from being true).
He came to me and ask me to pay the full amount that he agreed with me for an AC room for 4 days. I was so shocked that I could not even speak for a few minutes. I was just thinking how much greed, dishonesty can lead a person to behave such an unprofessional way. When I reminded him that the rate agreement was for AC room, how can he ask the same for a suffocating room.
One more thing I forget to mention. That guy covered the balcony with a thick black plastic( a horrible view out o window). When I asked about it, that guy told me its to protect the balcony from rain. I requested him that its serving no good purpose and rather obstructing the view, hence be removed, he agreed to that but never acted on it!!
Anyway, after a few minutes I tried to make that guy understand the reality, but he came up with horrible reasons to charge me the same. Yes friends, some reason were quite horrific. I cant resist the temptation to disclose at least one of those.
A neighbor of him working in a garage at Bandra, Mumbai used to be cheated and hence there's nothing wrong if he cheat some one from Mumbai!!!
I did not waste my time with him. Asked him to give me the receipt of charge he is billing. Mr. Hi-Tech Anthony who puts decent money for hi tech web advertisement, told that there is no billing system. Being a public servant, I could not at all entertain this. Finally he came with a receipt( there was no stamp on it, no customers name, no description).
Without wasting much time(As I got already late to catch my return train) I could only urge him to write my name as customer in that bill.
This guy is a tax evader.
He is greedy, dishonest, unprofessional, sly.
He hardly provide any service that are advertised over here.
I rented bike at INR 200 a day. But Anthony could fix a bike for me at INR 350 a day!!
My return journey, at last moment without any bargaining I fixed at INR 350. But Mr. Anthony with my request a day in advance could offer the best price at INR 400.
If you want to verify all these facts, either you have to believe me, or else you can also avail the accommodation service by Mr. Anthony at the cost of spoiling a beautiful holiday trip at Goa with your friends and family.
I wanted to have a family holiday at Goa on the occasion of Independence Day. We did enjoy Goa a lots, its beautiful beaches, natural greenness, well maintained roads, cheap wines etc.
I want all of you to enjoy this part only, not the one that I got while availing accommodation at Maya Holiday Home. That's the only reason I'm sharing my experience with all of you.
Lotus Resort Goa, Beach Road Via Maria Hall, Vaswaddo, Benaulim, Salcete (close to Colva Beach), ☎ 0832-2771175, . checkin: noon; checkout: 11:30AM. 3,000.
Hotel Seagull, Holiday Street, ☎ 0091 832 –2275534, . checkin: 9:00; checkout: 09:00. Sea Gull is a lovely 3-Star hotel near the border of Calangute towards Candolim, very close to Calangute Beach. It has a lively restaurant which is extremely popular and well known for many years. Live music is another highlight of Hotel Seagull.
Hotel Villa Theresa (Hotel Villa Theresa Calangute Goa), Umta Vaddo, Calangute-Goa, ☎ 91 9421242808, . checkin: 09:00; checkout: 09:00. Villa Theresa is a family run hotel situated at Umta Vaddo, close to Calangute beach, just about a 2-minute walk from the shore in a peaceful pocket of Calangute and away from the noise of the busy village.
Ondas Do Mar Beach Resort, Gaurovaddo (Ask anyone to take you to Claangut, spot the Blue note cafe and take a left if it's in front of you, go straight, cross the church in the center of the road and then ask anyone where holiday street is - Enter holiday street and keep looking to your right for the hotel). This hotel is a few minutes' walk from the beach. It has 2 swimming pools and has two campuses. It has friendly owners, it's very clean and cozy, and they have a restaurant where you can get great meals.
gabriels guest house goa (gabriels guest house goa), gaura vaddo,calangute,goa (near kamat holiday homes,opposite tarcar wine shop.), ☎ 0832 2279486, . checkin: 10:00am; checkout: 10:00am. gabriel guest house is a family run hotel very close to Calangute beach,located in a quiet area, with a peaceful atmosphere. 400.
Dias Holiday Homes, The Lagoon (1.5 km from Calangute beach.), ☎ +919825947394. e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org. Fully furnished apartments (TV, Refrigerator, AC, Geyser, Bed, Cupboards, Chairs, Cooking Gas, Utensils, etc.) with car parking and swimming pool available on rent (daily/monthly/yearly). Please call +919825947394 or e-mail: email@example.com for more details.
'''Strassh guest house''', near Calangute beach,candolim (opp health centre), ☎ 09320564040,9322825777 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 12.00noon; checkout: 12.30pm. It provides 24 hour service and privacy. 5-min walk from calangute beach. With all facilities.from Rs 900/-with Ac.
Nikita Residency, Calangute, Goa, India, . checkin: 11; checkout: 11. Luxurious Apartments with Budget Price.1890.