Bukavu is in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is situated on the border with Rwanda. This locale has left it hard hit by some of the recent political unrest.
You can reach Bukavu from Rwanda via the borders of Cangungu, from Burundi via the border of Uvira, and from Goma via Lake Kivu or by Road.
- A picturesque peninsula on Lake Kivu
- From Bukavu you can visit the lowland gorillas in Kahuzi Biega National park, Idjwi Island on Lake Kivu, and Minova village.
Bukavu is mainly a dollar economy, so plan to use Congolese francs only for small purchases.
For shopping, check out the SuperMarket Asante, between the Mayor building and SONAs, in front of the Bukavu Cathedral.
- Hotel La Roche has great views of the lake, decent pizza, and a nice buffet breakfast.
- Hotel Horizon (near Alfajiri Secondary School) is a good option for dinner, though the views are less exciting.
For lunch and dinner, try the Cafe and Restaurant Asante at Supermarket Asante, located between the Mayor Building and SONAS.
- Beer - Primus, Mitzigi, Turbo king..
- Soft drinks - Vitalo, Fanta, Coca Cola, juice.
- Local Drinks - Banana beer called Kasiksi or Mutchibwe.
- Hotel Riviera
- Hotel Residence
- Hotel Orchid's