Bruny Island  is in the state of Tasmania in Australia.
Home to the South Bruny National Park, the island offers stunning natural beauty partnered with a range of boutique accommodation, food and tour experiences.
The highly acclaimed Bruny Island Cruises  cruise was this year named one of the top 100 experiences in the world by Travel and Leisure Magazine, and the company is also the Australian Small Business of the Year, Tasmanian Business of the Year and First-Generation Family Business of the Year.
Bruny Island is also home to the southern-most licenced pub in Australia and the country's most-southern vineyard. Artisan cheese-maker Nick Haddow operates the Bruny Island Cheese Company which produces highly acclaimed cheese products.
The island is divided into North and South Bruny, joined by a narrow isthmus.
Major townships include:
- Adventure Bay
- Barnes Bay
- Dennes Point
- Simpsons Bay
Bruny Island is closest to the state's capital of Hobart.
- There are a number of flights to Hobart daily from destinations including Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide and Brisbane.
- The Spirit of Tasmania travels daily between Melbourne and Devonport and allows visitors to bring vehicles from the Australian mainland to Tasmania. You can then take the 4 hour drive to Hobart.
Once in Hobart, you can drive south to the city of Kingston and then through the sleepy townships of Margate, Snug, Oyster Cove and Kettering. From Kettering, you can catch the vehicular ferry, The Mirambeena, across to Bruny Island.
It is also possible to fly in, as Bruny Island has a small airstrip on the northern part of the Island.
Tasair  offers tours to the Island, which include the flight and a cruise around the Island.
Bruny Island is approximately 100km from one end to the other and is roughly the size of Singapore. The best way to explore Bruny Island is by car.
- Bligh Museum, Main Rd, Adventure Bay - Many artifacts relating to early Bruny history and the first explorers - particularly Cook and Bligh, .
- Bruny History Room, Main Rd, Alonnah - Early and recent history. many artifacts, photos, documents and newspaper cuttings provided by Bruny residents, .
- Cape Bruny Lighthouse was one of Australia's longest serving lighthouses guiding seafarers through some at-times treacherous waters. It still stands proudly at Cape Bruny for all to admire.
Bruny Island Cruises, 915 Adventure Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1465 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . This trip is a must-do while you are on Bruny Island. Bruny Island Cruises operates a 3 hour wildlife eco-cruise daily exploring the coastline of the South Bruny National Park. The tour was this year named one of the top 100 experiences in the world by Travel and Leisure Magazine's 2008 guidebook. In addition, the company is the current Australian Small Business of the Year, Tasmanian Business of the Year and Family Business of the Year. The cruise offers an unforgettable experience - tall sea cliffs, amazing coastline, seals, albatross, often dolphins and sometimes even whale sightings! These trips operate every day except for Christmas Day and guided day tours from Hobart are available.
Also check out:
- INALA Nature Tours, 320 Cloudy Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1217 (email@example.com), . INALA Tours operates wildlife tours into the South Bruny National Park
- Ol'Kid Fishing Charters, Captain James Cook Caravan Park, Adventure Bay Road, Bruny Island, TAS 7150, ☎ (03) 6293 1128, . Ol'Kid Fishing Charters operates fishing tours from Adventure Bay.
- Great Expeditions, Hobart, ☎ 0488 784 402 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Great Expeditions provides tailored tours of Bruny Island (and Tasmania in general). Our relaxing tours are for any size group and aim to accommodate your personal needs. The Premium Indulgence tour is very popular, along with general tours of this beautiful island. Have a look at their website to see the range of other activities that are possible to include on your tour. Hobart hotel pickup and drop off is welcomed.
There are a range of food offerings on Bruny Island, from take-away to cafe's to pub meals.
- Hothouse Cafe, Adventure Bay Main Rd - Open all day incl dinner - great food & views (from Bruny main Rd, take Adventure Bay Rd. Cafe is 400m on left), .
- Hotel Bruny, 3959 Main Road, Alonnah, ☎ 03 6293 1148. Bar, Restaurant, Bottleshop, TAB, Keno
- The White Wallaby Cafe, 710 Adventure Bay Road, Adventure Bay, ☎ 03 6295 1352, . The White Wallaby Cafe, is fully licensed and offers indoor and alfresco beach front dinning. All day breakfast, lunch and dinner available. Local produce and products, postcards, Tasmanian Wines.
There are a range of boutique offerings on Bruny Island as well, including:
- Bruny Island Cheese Company.
- Get Shucked Oyster Farm.
- HIBA Island produce.
- Bruny Island Premium Wines (email@example.com), 4391 Main Road, Lunawanna (Cellar Door Sales @ Australia's most Southern Vineyard), ☎ 03 6293 1088. Meet Bernice and Richard and sample their range recognised as premium Tasmanian wines.
Please also see accommodation on Huon Trail.
- Wombat Cottage, Esplanade, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . checkin: 2.00 pm; checkout: 10.00 am. $195 per night (2 people). Sleeps 8. Additional guests $30.
- Angels Retreat, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (email@example.com), . $170 per night(2 people)-sleeps up to 4 - beachfront accommodation.
- Beachfront on Bruny, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (61) 3 62 931271 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Perfect setting, right on the beach!
- Blackwood Studio Accommodation (High quality Cottages), 41 Lorkins Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1015 +61 3 6293 1015 (email@example.com), . $150 (2 People) $25 pp extra Sleeps 4 - Adults only.
- Bruny Beach House, 91 Nebraska Rd, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, ☎ 03 52438486, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. $135 per night for 2 people. $20 additional per person per night.(max 4) 2 br, fully equipped kitchen, spectacular 180 degree view. Located at Dennes Point on the North End of the Island. 135 per night.
- Captains Cabin, Nebraska Road, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $225 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $40.
- Captain James Cook Caravan Park, Adventure Bay Road, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ +61 3 6293 1128, . Offers powered and unpowered sites, onsite caravans, cabins and units.
- Explorers Cottages (At Lunawanna), 20 Lighthouse Road, Lunawanna, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1271 (email@example.com), . $140 per night (2 people). Sleeps 4. Additional guests $25..
- Mangana Mountain Cottages (4 Cottages - 2 with spas), Cloudy Bay Rd, Lunawanna, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1142 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . From $120 per night (2 people). Additional guests $25.
- Maxy's By The Sea (At Alonnah), ☎ (03) 6293 1271 (email@example.com), . $175 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $25..
- Poppies on the Beach, Main Rd, Great Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $170 per night(2 people $25 pp addit) for absolute beachfront.
- Serena Lodge, Serena Road, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03)6260 6266/0407626643 (email@example.com), . $165 per night (2 people). Sleeps 5. Additional guests $15.
- St Clairs Luxury Accommodation (Romantic Getaway for Two), 48, Lighthouse Rd, Lunawanna, ☎ (03) 6293 1300 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $210 per night includes spa, full breakfast and bottle of champagne.
- The Cockpit, Adventure Bay Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (email@example.com), . $270 per night includes breakfast and champagne.
- The Don, Stuart Road, Alonnah, Bruny Island, ☎ 1300 889 557 +61 3 6293 2096 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . $165 per night (2 people). Sleeps 2. Additional guests $30.
- The Shed, Adventure Bay Rd, Adventure Bay, Bruny Island, ☎ (03) 6293 1131 (email@example.com), . $170 per night (for 2 people) Sleeps up to 9.
- Inspirations on Bruny ((Nebraska Beach, Dennes Point)), 35 Cox Drive, Dennes Point, Bruny Island, Tasmania, 7150, ☎ 0498 088 410, . checkin: 2pm; checkout: 10am. Inspirations is a self contained accommodation retreat, situated opposite Nebraska Beach, at Dennes Point on idyllic Bruny Island, Tasmania. Inspirations is ideally set up to accommodate a couple, with a queen sized bed in the single bedroom. Originally constructed as an artists studio/retreat 'Inspirations' is a beautiful, environmentally friendly, haven perfectly suited as holiday accommodation for a relaxing break away from the stress of everyday city life, or as a romantic hideaway. Beautiful views over the D'Entrecasteaux Channel are a feature in every room of your accommodation (even the toilet). Preparing meals in the kitchen, enjoying breakfast at the dining table or waking in the morning all allow you to enjoy the most serene scenery available in Tasmania. Bruny Island has a permanent population of only around 600 people, along with many shack-weekender owners visiting the island on a regular basis. Popular with vistors, particularly from interstate and overseas, Bruny has become a holiday escape that is difficult to leave behind. $155 p/n.
- Only Telstra NextG mobile phones will work on Bruny Island - and this is not guaranteed for the entire island.
- Observe speed limits. 50 km/h in built-up areas, otherwise 90 km/h on sealed roads and 80 km/h on gravel.
- Watch out for wildlife - particularly at night.
- Check ferry times. Last ferry leaves before 7pm most nights (see Ferry Times)
- Be observant of other drivers
- Always notify somebody if you are going bushwalking and carry a (NextG) mobile phone if possible.
- Carry an EPIRB if boating and wear life jackets
|This is a usable article. It gives a good overview of the region, its sights, and how to get in, as well as links to the main destinations, whose articles are similarly well developed. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!