Bremerhaven is a small, but beautiful town in the state of Bremen in northwestern Germany. It is famous for its large harbour, which once was the biggest in Germany from where all the overseas ships left. Technically part of Bremen, Bremerhaven is geographically separated and surrounded by the federal-state of Lower Saxony.
lighthouse entrance to Old harbour
Bremerhaven can be reached from Bremen and Hamburg.
Bremerhaven has its own airport, with regular connections to surrounding islands. The nearest bigger airport is in Bremen.
The train station is located in central Bremerhaven. Trains arrive from throughout Germany via Bremen with Deutsch Bahn as well as with EVB from Hamburg via Buxtehude.
Bremerhaven can easily reached by car from Bremen, via the A27 northbound, about a 2 hour drive from the Bergen or Fallingbostel areas, if you take exit 10 from the A27 you can follow the road directly to the Fishdock.
Take exit 10 from the A27, there are 2 wohnmobilstellplatz (parking for campers)in the town,both are very good, one at the Fishdock and one a 10 min walk from the town centre. Both places are signposted.
Some of the ships displayed in the outdoor section of the museum.
- Overseas Harbour with its big ships and the huge container and car storages.
- Schifffahrtsmuseum (Museum of sea travel), . Includes entry into some ships and even a submarine. This must be one of the best ship museums around, not all models, they have examples of real ships including some pioneering designs. Well worth a visit.
- Zoo am Meer is the smallest public Zoo in Germany 
- Deutsches Auswandererhaus (German Emigration Center), . Dedicated to the history of German emigration, especially to the United States.
- Take a trip to Helgoland .
- Take a harbour tour .
- Visit the Weser Lido which is located in the city center.
- Climate House, At 8 Degrees Longitude (Just head for the ATLANTIC SAIL hotel you cant miss it, next to the Ship museum.), . Visitors can travel the virtual line of 8 degrees longitude in a single day and experience a wide variety of climate zones along the way. Be prepared to queue as this attraction is very popular once inside it can take you all day to see everything. Well worth a visit.
- Mediterraneo, (next to the ship museum and Climate House), . The newest shopping centre in Bremerhaven some nice shops to browse in, a nice setting.
- High Street, The main shopping area of Bremerhaven is a wide pedestrian area with all the named shops you would expect to find in a German town C&A, Saturn, H&M etc plus some lesser known shops. Never crowded it has a very relaxed atmosphere. You can also access the Columbus shopping centre from here, a little like a small American shopping mall complete with a food court, .
- Schaufenster Fischereihafen, . For the excellent local seafood.
- Paprika. Balkan, Verdener Straße 21 27570 Bremerhaven Germany, ☎ 0471 200016. Good Balkan food at a good price, don't try the platter unless you are realy hungry
- Natusch, Natusch Fischereihafen-Restaurant Am Fischbahnhof 1, 27572 Bremerhaven, . This must be one of the best fish restaurant in Germany, menu for all tastes and all budgets. If you are in Bremerhaven and want a realy nice meal this is the place to go.
A lot of small bars are located at the Alte Bürger.
- Atlantic Sail City Hotel, .
Atlantic Sail Hotel, next to The Climate House & Ship Museum
- Bremerhaven. Stellplatz Doppelschleuse, An der Neuen Schleuse 27570 Bremerhaven (take exit 10 from the A27 and follow signs for the airport, about 2Km past the airport the site is on your right hand side immediatly after a set of lights (the stellplatz is in a hollow so is hard to spot until you have gone past the turning)), . Camper Stellplatze ideal for the city centre, only a 10 min walk into town. 30 min walk gets you to the Fishdock, some really good fish restaurants, lots of choice. Power on most plots, Toilets, showers and water all available. 51 Pitches (5 x 8 M) 12 Pitches (6 x 9 M) Power connector Service House with toilets, showers, unloading and supply station Waste disposal Daily bread delivery service by the Court Service Tourist Info Terminal
- Bremerhaven. Reisemobil-Parkplatz Fischkai, Fischereihafen 1, 27572 Bremerhaven (take exit 10 from the A27 and follow signs .), ☎ 0049 (0)471 - 7 00 44 75, . A 5 min walk to really good fish restaurants, plenty of choice, some shops. About a 30 min walk into the city centre. 47 Pitches (5 x 8 m) Power connector Service station with WC, showers, fresh water, disposal Holding separator (floor drain) Central Wasserversorung Waste disposal Daily bread delivery service
- Comfort Hotel, Am Schaufenster 7 27572 Bremerhaven, Deutschland (A27 exit 10 then follow the signs for the Fishdock.), . The ideal place to stay if you want to be in the Fishdock area, only a 2 min walk away from some really good Sea food restaurants and outdoor clothing shops. About a 20 min walk into the city centre
- The numerous beaches around the town are worth a visit, especially the ones in Dorum Neufeld , or Wremen.
- Go further north to Cuxhaven or explore the North Sea.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!