Braunlage is a town in the Harz National Park in Southern Lower Saxony.
Braunlage is a town located in the Goslar region of the southern Harz mountains. Records show that Braunlage existed as a small mining community as early as 1250, and expanded slowly over the centuries. One of the oldest buildings still standing today is the Ironworks building from 1658 which is now the Harz Hotel Altes Forsthaus. In the 17th Centure Braunlage gained Market town rights and by the end of the 19th Century, with the development of the Southern Harz Railway line, Lumber and Quarrying became an important economic factor for the region. The granite quarry based on the Wurmberg mountain, the second highest in the Harz, was still in production up until 1974. The Wurmbergseilbahn, or Gondola, completed in 1965, links Braunlage with the Wurmberg covering a length of 2.8Km and rising 400m, the longest in northern Germany. The Gondola was renovated completely in 2001 and operates 6 person cabins for up to 900 persons per hour. Brunlage offers skiiers and tobogganers plentiful sport in the winter months. Braunlage, like many towns in the former border zone, suffered economically from the cancellation of the zone subsidy and the opening of the eastern Harz as competion. In november 2011, as a cost saving measure, the town administration merged with that of St. Andreasberg.*Braunlage Tourist Office, Braunlage Tourismus GmbH Elbingeröder Straße 17, ☎ 05520 93070, .
Braunlage can be reached by road using the B4 from Braunschweig or the B27 linking to the east. There is good parking on the outside of the town, but it does tend to reach capacity quickly, especially in winter during the high season when the weather is good.
Public Busses connect with Braunlage from Bad Harzburg, Bad Sachsa, Sankt Andreasberg and Walkenried.
The town's main business is tourism.
In summer it is popular with hikers and is also an excellent location for mountain biking. Its main attraction in winter is skiing. It is located close to the popular ski resorts of Sonnenburg & Wurmberg.
Braunlage is also a 'spa' town.
- Grimbarts, Herzog-Wilhelm-Str. 2, ☎ 94 31 20, . This German Steakhouse comes highly recommended
- Hostel Braunlage, Harzburger Str. 22a (located in the centre of Braunlage), ☎ 05520 5060 101. checkin: 15.00 - 23.00; checkout: 07.00 - 11.00. The hostel is situated in the centre of the town just 200m from the Wurmberg Cable Car. The rooms are simply furnished and contain wooden interiors. There is the usual satelite TV connection and WiFi is free. There is a bar, but other facilities are limited to family rooms and a ski storage area. Car parking is free. Children under 4 are free, but one older child or adult is charged €10 per night per person in an extra bed (max one per room). Pets are not allowed, nor are credit cards accepted - only cash. from € 35 per person.
- Hotel Harzidyll, Bodestr. 4b (a short drive north of the town on the hiking rout to the Bodetal reserve.), ☎ 05520 80 46 68. checkin: 14.00 - 17.30; checkout: 08.30 - 10.30. This small hotel with a total of 12 rooms is situated in a quiet side street near the Park Gardens on the main hiking route to the Bodetal Reserve and offers a small garden area. It is a great base for touring the Harz and in addition to free car parking offers a secure bicycle storage area. Wifi is free, but pets are not allowed. from €45 pp.
- Hapimag Resort Braunlage, Herzog-Wilhelm-Str. 2, 38700 Braunlage (10 minutes walk from the Kurpark in the centre of Braunlage), ☎ 05520 94310. checkin: 15.00 - 18.00; checkout: 08.00-10.30. The Hapimag Resort is a top hotel in Braunlage, designed in the country style with 125 rooms. The hotel offers Sauna, Solarium, a games room and children's play area as well as Billiards and Table Tennis facilities. There is also a small indoor swimming pool and all facilities are inclusive includung WiFi. Appartments are also available from around € 80 PP for a four person room. There is a Hotel Car Park (€ 5 per day) and there are bus connections to the nearby ski slopes of Wurmberg and Sonnenberg, about 10 minutes by car. from € 116 PP/Night.
- Maritim Berghotel, Am Pfaffenstieg, 38700 Braunlage (Maritime Berghotel lies a short drive outside Braunlage in the forests for the Harz Mountains), ☎ 05520 8050. checkin: 15.00 - 00.00; checkout: 07.00 - 12.00. The Maritim Berghotel is a four star hotel, part of the luxury Maritim chain. It is situated outside Braunlage at the foot of the Wurmberg Mountain, and each room has a balcony with great views of the surrounding landscapte. It offers a wide range of facilities,Tennis Court, Sauna, Fitness Centre, Games Room, Solarium, Spa & Wellness Centre, Massage, Children's Playground, Billiards, Table Tennis, Hiking, Cycling, Indoor Swimming Pool, Outdoor Swimming Pool and the usual range of services you would expect with this standard of hotel. You will have to pay extra for car parking (€ 11 per day) and Internet WiFi costs €15 per 24 hr period. There is the Pfaffenstieg restaurant and an Old English Pub bar area, a night club, and at the weekends a cafe is open on the roof terrace. from € 158 pp for single room.
- Hotel und Residence Hohenzollern Superior, Dr. Barner Str. 10-11, 38700 Braunlage (The hotel is situated just outside Bruanolage at the foot of the Wurmberg Mountain.), ☎ 05520 9321 0. checkin: 15.00 - 00.00; checkout: 08.00 - 11.00. This 4 star luxury hotel offers 25 rooms within two separte buildings. All the rooms have wooden floors and a balcony with good views of the surrounding mountains. Facilities include Sauna, Fitness Centre, Spa & Wellness Centre, Massage, Hot Tub, Turkish/Steam Bath, Indoor Swimming Pool. Car parking is free, but there are charges for WiFi connections. There is a Hotel Bar for guests, and the in-house Victoria Louise restaurant offers a mixture of national and international dishes. from € 220 for a single room.