Bowie is a city in Maryland.
Bowie is a suburban bedroom community of Washington D.C..
- Baltimore-Washington International Airport (IATA: BWI) is 33 minutes north on US301/MD3 or Washington Reagan National Airport (IATA: DCA) is 34 minutes west via US 50 (but through Washington D.C..
The MARC train system provides inexpensive service between Baltimore and Washington, D.C.. It is a commuter system that runs Monday-Friday only. Use the Penn Line and exit at Bowie State University.
Metrobus service to Bowie is available from the New Carrollton Metro station.
Car is your friend. Suburban sprawl is the enemy of feet.
- Belair Mansion: Built in 1745 by Samuel Ogle, the provincial governor of Maryland, the mansion serves today as an historical museum operated by the city.
- Belair Stables: Most of modern-day Bowie was once a stud farm where champion thoroughbred race horses were born and raised. The Belair Stables operated for roughly 200 years and is famous for producing two Triple Crown champions (Gallant Fox and Omaha).
- Bowie Baysox: Double-A level minor league baseball team, affiliated with the Baltimore Orioles.
- Allen's Pond: City park featuring a small lake with canoe rentals and fishing, amphitheatre for summer outdoor performances, and ice skating rink.
Shopping is very average in Bowie. There are a couple of strip malls, but nothing worth seeking out. The mediocrity includes:
- Bowie Town Center
- Free State Mall
- Rip's Country Inn, 3809 Crain Hwy. (US 301 at the MD 197 intersection): If you were considering one of the too-many plastic chain restaurants that inflict Bowie, STOP! Head to Rip's for casual dining in a fun atmosphere that's been a Bowie tradition for more than 50 years. The food is hearty and plentiful, the service always authentic, and the value just can't be beat.
People in Bowie usually head to Washington, Baltimore, or Annapolis for nightlife. There are no noteworthy bars or clubs in Bowie.
- Rip's Country Inn, 3809 N. Crain Hwy. (US 301, 1 mile south of US 50)
- Comfort Inn, 4500 Crain Hwy., (301) 464-0089 (US 301 at US 50)
- Towneplace Suites, 3700 Town Center Blvd., Tel: (301) 262-8045, (near US 50 and MD 197)
- Hampton Inn, 15202 Major Lansdale Blvd., Tel: (301) 809-1800, (near US 50 and MD 197)