Boscastle is a spectacularly located fishing village and tourist attraction on the north coast of Cornwall, in the southwest of England. The oldest and most attractive parts of the village surround the cliff-bound harbor and extend up the river valley. The more modern part of the village rises up the steep valley sides surrounding the harbor and valley.
Most of the village has now (May 2005) been reopened following the devastating flash flood of August 2004.
The main things to see in and around Boscastle are the village and harbor, (especially at sunset) nestling in a spectacularly steep sided narrow valley, together with the surrounding cliffs and coastal scenery, most of which is accessible via the Cornish Coastal Path (see below). Specific attractions are:
- The Lookout. This vantage point gives unrivalled views of the harbour entrance and some of the most rugged coastline in England. To get there, follow the harbor quayside and then walk up the footpath to the left.
- Museum of Witchcraft , telephone 01840-250111 from within the UK or +44-1840-250111 from outside. Located alongside the harbor, the Museum of Witchcraft houses the world's largest collection of witchcraft related artefacts and regalia. The museum is 50 years old and has been in Boscastle since 1960. Open Apr-Oct M-Sa 10:30AM-6PM; Su 11:30AM-6PM.
- Walk the Cornish Coastal Path
- Boscastle Pottery , telephone 01840-250291 from within the UK or +44-1840-250291 from outside. A family pottery producing original Mochaware.
- Boscastle Youth Hostel , Palace Stables, tel 01629-592700 from within the UK or +44-1629-592700. Run by the Youth Hostels Association of England & Wales. £7-£11.
- Boscastle House, Tintagel Road, ☎ 01840250654, . checkin: 1600; checkout: 1030. Boutique b&b in Boscastle Great bed and breakfast £50-£60.
- The Old Parsonage B&B, Forrabury, Boscastle PL35 0DJ, ☎ 01840 250339, . checkin: 16.00; checkout: 10.30. Beautiful Georgian house, 5 star B&B, 5 minute walk across flower strewn ancient farming 'stitches' to the south west coast path and close to Boscastle harbour. 5 spacious, stylish and comfortable rooms with luxury en-suite. Definitely the place to stay in Boscastle. £38-£51.
- Tintagel, with its ruined castle and reputed connections to King Arthur, is about 5 miles away, either by foot along the coastal path or by road.