Snorkling in the Rio da Prata
Bonito is a city in Mato Grosso do Sul, Brazil, Is the heart of eco-tourism in Brazil. The optimum period to visit is between December and March, during the rainy season, with green vegetation, abundant food for the animals and rivers are high. Between May and August there is limited rain which means the waterfalls are not as spectacular, but this is still a great time to visit the other sights.
Bonito is served by the bus company called Cruzeiro do Sul . Buses depart from Campo Grande every 2 hours during the day (last bus usually at 16:00) and tickets can be purchased at the bus station or local travel agencies. Trip lasts about 5 hours.
Getting to Bonito from Foz do Iguazu: bus from Foz do Iguazu to Durados (2 buses per day - 10 hours), then transfer from durados to Bonito (2 buses per day 6 hours).
The city has an airport served by regular flights operated by Tam and Trip.
There is virtually no public transit in the city of bonito. there are moto-taxis, private to hire. there is no rental car company either. bike rentals available.
- Gruta do Lago Azul. A big cave (100m deep) with a lake at the bottom of an incredible blue colour approximately 20km from city. 36R$ + transport.
There are nice places to do Snorkling, explore caves, ride horses, and hike. While transportation and a guide is not always necessary, those wishing to use a guide should know that not all guides speak English, or in some cases, Spanish.
- Rio da Prata. Snorkle in the "Silver River". Amazing underwater landspaces and fishes. 140R$.
- Rio Formoso.
- Balneario Municipal, . Rent bikes in the town center and go with the locals to sunbathe, play voleyball and swim in a river with a lot of fish. 10R$.
The central area of Bonito offers supermarkets, pharmacies and stores with articles for adventure sports.
- Agência de Turismo, Rua Luiz da Costa Leite, 2457, ☎ 55 67 3255-4883, .
There are several places in the town centre for eating at reasonable prices. You also can try out local game such as jacaré (cayman) and fish from the local rivers.
The central area of Bonito has some nice places to relax and have a cold beer or some fresh natural juices. A recommended spot is the "Taboa" bar, located in the main street, famous for it's cachaça and creative drinks made out of cachaça mixed with local fruits.
- Camping Rio Formosa, (next to the balneario municipal). Behind the camping there is a small track of 200 meters to the rio formosa, where you can snorkel if you have your own equipment, or just take a bath next to the gorgeous waterfall in the crystal clear water. 10 real per person.
- HI Bonito, Rua Lúcio Borralho, 716, . Nice hostel, you can prepare most of your excursions from here. 30R$.
- Eco Pousada Villa Verde, ☎ (67) 3255-1818 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Australian/Brazilian owners - English speaking. Tour agency in the Pousada to book your tours and transport around Bonito.
- Muito Bonoto Lodge, ☎ (67) 3255-1645, . Very nice Lodge, with friendly atmosphere, close to the city center. The lodge is built around a court yard, where breakfast is offered. They are also very helpful when organizing transportation. 45 Real.
- Pousadas, Hotéis, Hostel, Albergue e Hospedagem 
- Zagaia Eco Resort Hotel. For those with a bigger budget, the Zagaia Eco Resort, a littl eout of town, offers excellent and posh accomodation.
Most People come here to organise their trip to the Pantanal.