| || |
A flight from Kathmandu (290km) takes
50 minutes, and single tickets cost about $125 ($108+$17 for tax) for foreigners and around 2330Rs for nationals on Domestic Airlines. |+|
A flight from Kathmandu (290km) takes minutes , and single tickets cost about $125 ($108+$17 for tax) for foreigners and around 2330Rs for nationals on Domestic Airlines.
| || |
Revision as of 09:25, 23 June 2011
Biratnagar is a city in Morang district, eastern Nepal.
With a population of nearly 170,000, Biratnagar in the second largest city in Nepal, and it is located near the Terai on the south-eastern border with India.
A flight from Kathmandu (290km) takes 40-45 minutes if there isn't any air traffic, and single tickets cost about $125 ($108+$17 for tax) for foreigners and around 2330Rs for nationals on Domestic Airlines.
Rickshaws are a good option within the city, or walking. Expect to pay about 2 rupees per minute, depending on how many people you are or if you have a lot of cargo. There are no official taxi service, but taxis are easily available at airport, near Mahendra chowk, and from major hotels.
An ATM machine is available in the Siddhartha Bank on the main commercial avenue. There are now a number of ATMs in Biratnagar. Take Main street north from Traffic chowk (police station), there is one on right side, then five minutes further north you turn left and find another one.
For groceries your best choice is in the market between Mahendra and Traffic chowk, and for the best one turn south on Main street, pass the cybers and Namaste hotel and you will find a good grocery on the right.
- Unique Fast Food Restaurant on the main commercial avenue (not the one that comes from the airport) has a clean and funny interior, and decent food.
- Adarsh Jalpan Griha, (Near traffic chowk in the centre). Claims to be the oldest restaurant in Biratnagar and is a good option for eating
- Hotel Xenial, Biratnagar, 15, ☎ 977 21 530250, 530251, 538380, 528381 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . - Not the same quality as you will find in Kathmandu for the same price, but comfortable. Between $55 and 130 for foreigners, or 2000R - 4500R for nationals. Accepts Visa. Dial-up internet access available in the room for 180R for 30 minutes. Small swimming pool.
- Ratna hotel. Near the main market area, next to Mahendra Chowk. A reasonable good business hotel. Good food and ok, although run-down, bar. Wireless internet available. Rs 1500-3000.
- Eastern Star, (south of bus park, take right further down). Basically same standard as Ratna, but no internet and further from the market area, and thus a more quiet location. Rs 800, 1500(AC).