Belize City is the largest city of Belize. It is located on a small peninsula sticking out into the Caribbean. It was the capital city until flooding and other damage from a hurricane prompted the government to relocated to Belmopan in the geographic center of the country.
Use a taxi and if you want to get out of Belize City use the taxi bus or even the little airplanes which take you to other destinations in Belize for less than US$100.
eco-museum Belize, Located at 14.5 Mile, Western Highway, this is a living museum of belize tropical treasures. here, we can show you how we utilized and recycled our natural resources in the construction and decoration of the museum.
the eco-museum is dedicated to show our visitors the beauty of nature in harmony with our belizean culture.
There really isn't much to do around Belize City and most people use this as a transportation hub
A few museums can be found around near the downtown area.
Most places accept US Dollars becasue both the US Dollar and the Belize Dollar is pegged
2 to 1. If you are traveling to the cayes, stock up on your cash here at the central belize bank because often the ATM's on the islands run out of money on weekends
If you want to shop there is tourism village in the Fort George area which has jewelry shops like Diamonds International and lots of gift shops. It is located on a boardwalk. There is a cruise terminal there that receives Carnival Cruise Line ships.
- Vegetarian Restaurant, 14.5 Mile, Western Highway, Orchid Garden Eco-Village, Delicious Food, Nature at its best"
- neris ii, regency street. has great conch soup but the season ends on the first of july.
- big daddys diner, central market. reasonably priced, very local, and has a great view of haulover creek, home to much of the citys modest fishing fleet.
- dits cafe, has great watermelon juice and wonderful pastries.
- smoky oyster, fort george area. upscale dining.
- harbourview, fort george area. very upscale with a great chef
there are three hotels of note.
- Orchid Garden Eco-Village, A Living Harmony, From this tranquil, secure and beautiful home base some fourteen miles from Belize City, you just need to pack lightly to visit other interesting locations, such as Caye Caulker or San Pedro, Placencia and San Ignacio.
- the princess is a great hotel to stay at which has great service. there is a swimming pool, casino, buffet, restaurant, marina and nightclubs and bars such as the calypso bar.
- best western biltmore plaza is a very good hotel with pool and amenities of everyday life.
- radisson fort george is a very great hotel with a buffet, restaurant, marina and gift shops. try to stay in the main building or the tower. the annex is not as nice.
- the great house nice hotel in a large colonial house across from the radisson. the rooms have a more bed & breakfast feel.
- Chateau Caribbean: A great place to stay. Food is great, especially the seafood soup. Service is awesome. The hotel is a large colonial style house which was at one time, a hospital. The structure could use some repairs, but if you can look beyond that it's the best deal in town. A great view of the seafront while sipping on the best Baileys Colada in Belize City.
there is also a resort on the outskirts of belize city on the western highway named old belize. it is a beautiful resort with a beach. it has a beach named cucumber beach with a bar on a sandbar. one can learn about life in old belize there. tourists are shown the chicletos and rum makers of belize, and the importance of baymen and loggers who logged the mahogany (the national tree). there is also colonial houses, a marina, and restaurants.
- D'nest Inn (firstname.lastname@example.org), 475 Cedar Street, Belama Ph 2 (From the Best Western Biltmore, head towards the police station and then make a right. The D'nest Inn is located next to the soccer field and the river, right behind the far goal.), ☎ (501) 223-5416, . This very cozy and reasonably priced B&B is half the price of the Biltmore, has large spacious rooms, with cable TV and air conditioning. There is plenty of hot water and great water pressure. Best of all, this B&B is run by the nicest couple you will meet, who will o out of their way to make your stay extra enjoyable. Breakfast is included with the price of the room and is always a home cooked meal.
The Western Highway to go to belize west or the Northern Highway to Belize North.