Hamra is in Beirut. Prior to 1975, Hamra Street was referred to as Beirut's "Champs Elysées" as it was frequented by tourists all year round. Hamra Street is a less expensive shopping area, the perfect place to do bulk shopping since prices are relatively low. It also hosts a good number of hotels, furnished apartments, and coffee shops that cater to visitors and students from close by American University of Beirut and Lebanese American University.
Hamra lies directly on the West of Downtown Beirut. Hail a taxi or walk to the short distance.
- AUB Museum(Hamra District) Archeology and History, the Middle East's oldest museum. Rue. Bliss (Rue.33), Hamra, (01)340549. Mon-Fri 10:00-16:00, closed holidays.
- Agial Art Gallery (contemporary art from the Arab world), 63 Abdul Aziz street, Hamra district, Beirut, (between Hamra street and the American University of Beirut, parking available), ☎ +9613 634244 (email@example.com/ firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +9611 345213), .
- Chahine Gallery (art gallery, antique dealer), 103 Mme Curie st.,(Zeidaniyeh),Hamra, Beirut - P.O.BOX: 116-5249, ☎ 961-1-34 65 22 (email@example.com, fax: 961-1-34 65 23), .
- Galerie Zamaan (paintings, historic photos, antiques), 131 Rue Sadate, Hamra Quarter, Beirut, ☎ 00961-1-74 55 71 (fax: 00961 1 74 31 81).
- Metropolis (Art house) , Hamra Street, Theatre al Madina, Saroulla Center, Beirut. (tel: + 961 3 805669/+961 3 793065).
- Dermaline, Offers a variety of dermato-cosmetic procedures and body treatments including endermology, cellulite removal and body modeling. Open Mon, Wed, Sat 9am-6pm, Tue, Thurs, Fri 9am-8pm. Ras Beirut Clinics, Hamra. 01 750773.
- Houna Holistic Centre (Reflexology), This two-room relaxing treatment centre in the heart of Hamra gives a soothing session for $36 (around 50 mins). Other treatments (including Reiki) average around $20. Advocates a holistic approach to health - you won’t find the latest pill-popping techniques here. Yoga classes are $10 per class, or $30 for the month. Qi Gong and Capoeira classes are also available. Open Mon-Fri 10am-1pm, 5-10pm. Montreal Bldg, Hamra Street, Hamra. 03 676285.
- Miss ABC, Hamra street, facing Cinema strand, 00961 1 344740. Women's specialty store. Open Mon-Sat 9:45-7:45, closed Sunday.
- Harmony - Holisitc Empowerment for Mind, Body & Soul, Hamra , St. Estral Bld., Next to Kababji, ☎ 03-938554, . Improve your Health, Strengthen your Mind, and Enrich your Spirit... Our workshops and services are profound and powerful! Reiki, NLP, energy and alternative healing techniques, Life-Coaching, Self-empowerment workshops, Feng Shui, Yoga and more! See the website for more information.
- Pasta Di Casa (pasta joint), Popular with American University of Beirut students, the menu is not elaborate and the premises are small and cramped. But that makes it cosy and you can expect large portions of everything with that home-cooked ‘pasta à la mama’ feel. It’s reasonably priced and has homely service; the dishes are generous enough to share. Emile Rubeiz Street (Jumblatt Way), Clemenceau. 01 363368. Meal for two with wine: around $35.
- Roadster’s (Burger joint), American themed restaurant with good all round diner fare. Order the tangy Buffalo wings and mozzarella sticks for starters. Hamburgers and sandwiches will delight but try the Roadside Crab or the Chicken Slider with mayo. For a very sweet tooth order the rich chocolate fondant or the banana split. Crowne Plaza, Hamra Street. 01 363487. Open daily 11am-1am. Meal for two with drinks: around $30.
- Benihana (Japanese), Good Japanese cuisine which also includes an extensive sushi menu with all you can eat sushi for $29 starting 9pm daily. Definitely try the entertaining Teppanyaki which is cooked live in front of your table with the chef tossing around meat, chicken, seafood, vegetables, rice and noodles on a habashi board. Branch also in Ashrafieh. Meridien Commodore Hotel, Commodore Street, Hamra 01 350400. Open daily 12pm-4pm, 8pm-12midnight.
- Kabab-ji, Excellent grills and sandwiches with decent mezza and even better prices. The taouk is tender and tasty and the lamb chops are delicious. Also order the arayess (minced meat between grilled pita bread). The setting is a little bit clinical (lots of neon lights going on) but its not unpleasant for a quick, tasty bite. Saroulla Bldg, Hamra Street. 01 741555. Open daily 8am-2am. Meal for two with wine: around $40.
- Souseh, A Time Out Beirut recommended restaurant, earning four stars. A great ‘mom and pop’ foul and hummus joint with must-have dishes like moussabha. Also order the fresh zaatar salad sprinkled with onions and pomegranate. Just off Shehadeh Street, Mar Elias. Open daily 7am-1pm. A plate of foul and hummus for one: around $10.
- Wadi Walima (Lebanese), Reasonably priced Lebanese cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. The menu is creative and brunches are exceptionally good. Offers mezza and traditional home-cooked plats-du-jour. Try out a local wine with your meal. Sit out on the beautiful garden terrace. Makdisi Street, Hamra 01 343128. Open Mon-Sat 12noon-12midnight. Meal for two with wine: $30.
- Al Istambouli (Lebanese), Lebanese food in a very casual but slightly drab atmosphere, the mezza is quite good (order the tabouleh for sure) but the grills are much better. One of Hamra best kept secrets. Commodore Street. 01 354398. Open daily 8am-12midnight. Meal for two with wine: around $50.
- Samra (Bar), Inspired by old Egyptian celebrities who have made an everlasting impression through their work in cinema and music. Fatin Hamama, Abed El Wahab and many more celebrity pictures hang on the wall. Retro and modern colours are found while the furniture is mainly chairs and tables with few black and red couches spread around. A Japanese orientated garden provides a nice spot to chill and enjoy the oriental and jazz music. 03 066342. Spears Street, Sanayeh, Hamra, Mon-Sun 5pm-2am. $10 for Dinner and Drink. Fri: Oriental night; Sat: Jazz and blues night.
- De Prague (Lounge), Simple trendy decoration with non-matching colourful sofas, antique furniture, candles and mirrors as well as a fireplace warming things up in winter. Art films are shown on Sundays. In the afternoon a variety of coffee and cakes are served from the kitchen, and at night great drinks and music by the DJ take centre stage, playing lounge, Acid jazz and Funk. Normally packed with a trendy artistic crowd. 03 575282. Makdissi Street, Hamra. Mon-Sun 8am-2am.
- Napoli Hotel (3 stars), Hamra Beirut, ☎ +961 - 1 - 747333 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +961 - 1 - 355030). $30-$60.
- Napoleon Hotel (4 stars), Yafet st., Hamra - Beirut, ☎ +961 - 1 - 340013 (email@example.com, fax: +961 - 1 - 354658), . $45-$150.
- Casa D'Or (3 star), Hamra, Beirut (middle of Hamra), ☎ 00961 1 746400 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 00961 1 346840), . $60-$100.
- Concord Hotel (3 stars), Bliss St., Hamra, Beirut, ☎ +961 - 1 - 740678 (email@example.com, fax: +961 - 1 - 740667). $40.
- Weiner Haus, Rue De Lyon, Hamra, Beirut, ☎ +961 1 350050 (fax: +961 1 351322).
- Mayflower Hotel, Yafet st., Hamra Beirut, ☎ + 961-1-340680 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +961 1 342038), .
- Mercure Berkeley Hotel (3 stars), Hamra - Beirut, ☎ 00961 1 340600/750111 (email@example.com, fax: 00961 1 341777), . $74-$148.
- Grand Hotel Versaille, Hamra st., Versaille Theatre, Beirut, ☎ 961 1 739860-5 (fax: 961 1 739866), . $60.
- Gefinor Rotana Hotel (5 stars), Clemenceau St., Hamra - Beirut, ☎ 00961 1 371888 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: 00961 1 372999), .
- Le Meridien Commodore (5 stars), Commodore St., Hamra - Beirut, ☎ +961 - 1 - 350400 (email@example.com, fax: +961 - 1 - 345806), . $180-$600.