Lanterns at the Dafei Temple in Badachu
Shijingshan District (石景山区 Shíjǐngshān Qū) is in the west part of Beijing.
Subway line 1 (red) extends west into Shijingshan. Bus and taxi journeys from central Beijing will be long.
- Badachu (八大处 Bādàchǔ). Badachu, meaning "The Eight Great Sites" is comprised of eight Buddhist temples and monasteries at the foot of the Western Hills. Restored in the 1980s, the whole area is now a park and popular tourist destination for Beijingers wishing to escape city life. Take Bus 311 north from the Pingguoyuan subway station to Badachu Middle School (八大处中学 Bādàchǔ Zhōngxué) and then walk north-west one kilometer.
- Hope Park (希望公园 Xīwàng Gōngyuán). A small but attractive park south-east of Badachu.
- Fahai Temple (法海寺 Fàhǎi Sì). This fifteenth century temple has some of the best-preserved and extensive Ming frescoes to be found. 3.5km north-west from the Pingguoyuan subway stop. Buses 311, 336, 527, 621 all head from around Pingguoyuan to the temple.
- Tianyi's Tomb (田义墓 Tiányì Mù), 80 Moshikou Dajie 模式口大街80号. Located at the foot of Cuiwei Mountain and to the south of Fahai Temple, this is the most extensive and well-preserved Ming dynasty tomb of an eunuch. There is a Eunuch Culture Museum (¥8 entrance fee) at the same site.
- Cheng'en Temple (承恩寺 Chéng'ēn Sì), East Moshikou Dajie 模式口大街东部. South of the Fahai Temple, this is another temple with a history of at least five hundred years.
- China Quaternary Glacier Museum (中国第四纪冰川陈列馆 Zhōngguó Dìsìjì Bīngchuān Chénlièguǎn). This museum was founded in 1992 and offers an introduction to geology, geography, and glaciers. Just south of Fahai.
Snow White at the Shijingshan Amusement Park
- Shijingshan Amusement Park (北京石景山游乐园 Běijīng Shíjǐngshān Yóulèyuán). One of the three amusement parks in Beijing, this park features the usual assortment of rollercoasters, ferris wheels, and a Disney-esque castle (Disney sued). Take subway to Bajiao Amusement Park. ¥10 for entrance, each ride has a separate fee.
- Beijing International Sculpture Park (北京国际雕塑公园 Běijīng Guójì Diāosù Gōngyuán), ☎ +86 (0)10 68650422. Opened in 2002, this park places sculpture from around the world in an attractive, green setting. Take subway line one to Yuqianlu. ¥5.
- Babaoshan Revolutionary Cemetery (八宝山革命公墓 Bābǎoshān Gémìng Gōngmù). Originally a temple, this was made into the chief cemetery for Communist Party figures. Buried here are artist Xu Feihong, writer Lao She, and many of the most important CCP leaders. Head north from the Babaoshan subway stop.
- Cishan Temple (天台山慈善寺 Tiāntái Shān Císhàn Sì). Located on Tiantai Mountain, this is also known as Tiantai Temple. You'll be lucky to see this one: the temple only opens March 15-17 of every year.
Olympic competition at the Beijing Shooting Range
- Beijing Shooting Range (北京射击场 Běijīng Shèjī Chǎng), Xiangshan Nanlu 香山南路. Shoot stuff at this Olympic-class shooting range. South-east of Badachu, next to the Fifth Ring Road.
- Take a tour of Capital Steel (首钢工业旅游 Shǒugāng Gōngyè Lǚyóu), ☎ +86 10 88296558. Since 2001, Capital Steel has been offering tours of its facilities and explanations of how steel is made. Get a Chinese-speaker to call find out when the tours are running. One kilometer west from the Gucheng subway stop.
- Mei Zhou Dong Po Restaurant (Shijingshan Branch) (眉州东坡酒楼 (石景山店)), 22 Shijingshan Road (石景山路22号) (Bus 337, 389, 622, 663, 728, 742, 941), ☎ +86 10 88680808. 9:30AM-11PM. Sichuan cuisine.
- Beijing Xinshiyuan Hotel (北京鑫仕源度假村; Běijīngxīnshìyuándùjiàcūn), Xiwang Park, Badachu Lu, Shijingshan (石景山区八大处路希望公园内; Shíjǐngshānqū Bādàchǔlù Xīwànggōngyuánnèi) (Just outside West Ring Road Five, buses), ☎ +86 10 88703399. Small rooms without internet access. Business center, gift shop, karaoke, billiard, table tennis, tennis, massage and sauna available. Chinese restaurant and room service. Listed rates for doubles from ¥380, discounted from ¥148; breakfast ¥15.
- Beijing Jiujiuyuan Super8 Hotel (北京石景山玖玖源速8酒店; Běijīng Shíjǐngshān Jiǔyuánsùbā Jiǔdiàn), Yangzhuang East Road (杨庄东路; Yángzhuāngdōnglù), ☎ +86 10 68835888 (fax: +86 10 68835689). Small rooms with free internet and kettle. Listed rates for doubles from ¥218, breakfast ¥10.