Lanterns at the Dafei Temple in Badachu
Shijingshan District (石景山区 Shíjǐngshān Qū) is in the west part of Beijing.
Subway line 1 (red) extends west into Shijingshan. Bus and taxi journeys from central Beijing will be long.
- Babaoshan Revolutionary Cemetery (八宝山革命公墓 Bābǎoshān Gémìng Gōngmù). Originally a temple, this was made into the chief cemetery for Communist Party figures. Buried here are artist Xu Feihong, writer Lao She, and many of the most important CCP leaders. Head north from the Babaoshan subway stop.
- Fahai Temple (法海寺 Fàhǎi Sì). This fifteenth century temple has some of the best-preserved and extensive Ming frescoes to be found. 3.5km north-west from the Pingguoyuan subway stop. Buses 311, 336, 527, 621 all head from around Pingguoyuan to the temple.
- Cheng'en Temple (承恩寺 Chéng'ēn Sì), East Moshikou St. 模式口大街东部. South of the Fahai Temple, this is another temple with a history of at least five hundred years.
- Badachu (八大处 Bādàchǔ). Badachu, meaning "The Eight Great Sites" is comprised of eight Buddhist temples and monasteries at the foot of the Western Hills. Restored in the 1980s, the whole area is now a park and popular tourist destination for Beijingers wishing to escape city life. Take Bus 311 north from the Pingguoyuan subway station to Badachu Middle School (八大处中学 Bādàchǔ Zhōngxué) and then walk north-west one kilometer.
Snow White at the Shijingshan Amusement Park
- Shijingshan Amusement Park (北京石景山游乐园 Běijīng Shíjǐngshān Yóulèyuán). One of the three amusement parks in Beijing, this park features the usual assortment of rollercoasters, ferris wheels, and a Disney-esque castle (Disney sued). Take subway to Bajiao Amusement Park. ¥10 for entrance, each ride has a separate fee.
- Cishan Temple (天台山慈善寺 Tiāntái Shān Císhàn Sì). Located on Tiantai Mountain, this is also known as Tiantai Temple. You'll be lucky to see this one: the temple only opens March 15-17 of every year.
- Beijing International Sculpture Park (北京国际雕塑公园 Běijīng Guójì Diāosù Gōngyuán), ☎ +86 (0)10 68650422. Opened in 2002, this park places sculpture from around the world in an attractive, green setting. Take subway line one to Yuqianlu. ¥5.
- Tianyi Tombs (田义墓 Tiányì Mù).
- Take a tour of Capital Steel (首钢工业旅游 Shǒugāng Gōngyè Lǚyóu), ☎ +86 10 88296558. Since 2001, Capital Steel has been offering tours of its facilities and explanations of how steel is made. Get a Chinese-speaker to call find out when the tours are running. One kilometer west from the Gucheng subway stop.