Beckley  is a city of 17,254 people in West Virginia. It was founded in 1838 and named for John J Beckley, the first Clerk of the House of Representatives and the first Librarian of Congress.
Beckley is situated at the southern end of I-77, the West Virginia turnpike, 70 miles south of Charleston. From Beckley, both I-64 and I-77 head towards Charleston in the northwest; I-64 continues to Virginia Beach, Virginia in the east, while I-77 heads south towards Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Greyhound, 105 3rd Avenue, 304-253-8333. Open 7AM to 5:30PM Monday to Saturday; and 7AM to 10AM, and 2PM to 5PM on Sunday.
- Amtrak, WV-41 N by Depot Road in Prince (about 30 minutes northeast), 304-253-6651. Open 9:30AM to 9:30PM Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- Raleigh County Memorial Airport, 176 Airport Circle in Beaver, 304-255-0476, . Located three miles east of Beckley. Offers three commercial flights on weekdays, one on Saturday and two on Sunday to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- Community Action Lines, 299 Gray Flats Road, 304-252-6396. Provided by the Raleigh County Community Action Association, and free for local students.
- Uptown Beckley includes the brick-paved Main Street with shops, galleries, eateries and the courthouse. The area is undergoing revitalization and features events throughout the year, including a chili night when visitors can sample the entries in a chili-judging contest.
- Theatre West Virginia, 4700 Grandview Road in Beaver, 304-252-6800 or 800-666-9142, . A professional touring and historical outdoor drama theatre company, holding performances in a dramatic amphitheatre. Among their outdoor musical dramas: "Honey in the Rock", which tells the story of the birth of West Virginia, and "Hatfields and McCoys", which relives the famous feud. Tickets $15.
- Beckley Motor Speedway, 301 Racetrack Road in Mt Hope, 304-253-3606, . Gates open at 5PM. 3/8-mile dirt oval originally opened in 1958. Admission $10.
- Beckley is the northern terminus of the Coal Heritage Trail , a 97-mile scenic drive that passes mine-owners' mansions, miners' homes, company stores, coal tipples and state parks, before ending in Bluefield.
- Beckley Exhibition Coal Mine, 513 Ewart Avenue, 304-256-1747, . Tours available 10AM to 5:30PM daily, April 1 through November 1. Visitors get a realistic look at coal mining as it was at the turn of the century, by travelling 1500 feet underground in authentic mining cars and touring the historic coal camp on the grounds, with veteran miners as guides. Be sure to bring a jacket, as temperatures underground stay at 58 degrees year-round. Adults $15.
- Winterplace Ski Resort, 100 Old Flat Top Mountain Road in Ghent, 304-787-3221 or 800-607-SNOW (7669), . Open 9AM to 10PM on weekdays, 8AM to 10PM on weekends and holidays, December through March. 27 trails, a terrain park, 16 snowtubing lanes, 9 ski lifts and 5 tubing lifts, and a vertical drop of 603 feet. Rental shop and four restaurants on-site. Skiing and snowboarding lessons available. $27 - $137 (lift tickets, including multi-day), $22 - $71 (rentals), $42 - $104 (lessons).
- Youth Museum of Southern West Virginia, 513 Ewart Avenue, 304-252-3730, . Open 10AM to 6PM daily, April through October; and 10AM to 5PM Tuesday through Saturday, November through March. Four railroad boxcars, a planetarium, a recreated Appalachian mountain homestead, and three rotating exhibits designed to entertain and educate on subjects like biology and art.
- Someplace Special Gem Mine 323 Rakes Road ,Shady Spring, Wv.
A public gem mine located in Shady Spring Wv . Lots of valuable gemstones found daily. Keep what you find.
Google Someplace Special Gem Mine to see more
- The local newspaper is the Register-Herald, 304-255-4400 or 800-950-0250, .
- Mountain State University, 609 S Kanawha Street, 800-766-6067, . An independent not-for-profit university founded in 1933 with more than 40 undergraduate and master's degree programs, mostly in business, technology, health, and human services.
- Simpler Times, 1406 Harper Road, 304-253-0478 or 1-800-555-1212, . Handmade colonial reproduction furniture, furniture patterns, primitive dolls and stitcheries, candles and more.
- Tamarack, 1 Tamarack Park, 1-88-TAMARACK, . Open 8AM to 7PM January through March, and 8AM to 8PM April through December. Selling "the best of West Virginia", Tamarack offers a one-stop-shop for high-quality and authentic West Virginia culture, heritage, handcrafts, fine art, regional cuisine and music. It's one of the best places in the state to stop if you're looking for a really nice souvenir: you can buy hand-carved furniture, glass, pottery, Appalachian quilts, and regional specialty foods. The food court features signature dining options from the Greenbrier Hotel. There are six resident artists on-site who give demonstrations throughout the day, and Tamarack boasts a 178-seat theatre for live musical, theater, dance and storytelling performances.
- Cranberry Station, 206 Beckley Plaza, 304-256-0616. Over 75 specialty shops.
- Crossroads Mall, 2 Crossroads Mall in Mount Hope, 304-255-6176, . Open 10AM to 9PM Monday through Saturday, and 12PM to 6PM on Sunday. Over 45 department and specialty stores, and a six-screen cinema.
- Raleigh Mall, 4301 Robert C Byrd Drive, 304-252-7817. Beckley's first mall.
- Char Restaurant, 100 Char Drive, 304-253-1760, . Open 5PM to 10PM Tuesday through Saturday, and 5PM to 9PM on Monday; closed Sundays. A family-owned and -operated restaurant since 1965, voted "Best Restaurant in West Virginia", with excellent food, friendly service and inviting ambiance. Steaks, chops, seafood and traditional Italian favorites. Try the fried olives, brascioli and their bread pudding.
- King Tut Drive-In, 301 N Eisenhower Drive, 304-252-6353, . Open 10:30AM to 11PM daily except Wednesdays, weather permitting. A family-owned drive-in since the early 1940s, serving recipes handed down for generations. Sandwiches, pizzas and full dinners, with freshly-baked bread, soups made from scratch, and homemade pies. Try their award-winning pork barbecue sandwiches, stone-baked pizza and twice-baked potatoes. $1.50 - $8, pizzas $11 - $17.50.
- Young Chow's, 219 Pikeview Drive off Harper Road (I-77 exit 44), 304-253-CHOW (2469). Chinese-American and Japanese appetizers, soups, salads, vegetables, poultry, beef, pork, seafood, rice, noodles, grilled dinners, sushi and desserts. Meals come with complimentary fried noodles with dipping sauces, and Chow's spicy cabbage. Try the fried ice cream. $5 - $25.
- Daniel Vineyards, 200 Twin Oaks Road in Crab Orchard, 304-252-9750 or 877-378-1990, . Open 10AM to 5PM Monday through Saturday, and 1 to 5PM on Sunday. International award-winning estate-grown wine, with a tasting room. 11 red and white wines, including one made entirely from blackberries.
- Budget Inn, 223 S Heber Street, 304-253-8318.
- Green Bank Motel, 505 S Eisenhower Drive, 304-253-3355.
- Honey in the Rock Motel, 2315 South Fayette Street, 304-252-7391. 91 rooms. Average price $30.
- Pagoda Motel, 1114 Harper Road, 304-253-7373.
- Pinecrest Motel, 230 N Eisenhower Drive, 304-255-1577.
- Best Western Four Seasons Inn, 1939 Harper Road, 304-252-0671, . 80 rooms. Complimentary continental breakfast. $50 - $70.
- Comfort Inn, 1909 Harper Road, 304-255-2161 or 877-424-6423, . 130 rooms. Exercise gym. Complimentary continental breakfast. $50 - $90.
- Country Inns & Suites, 2120 Harper Road, 304-252-5100 or 800-456-4000, . 157 rooms. Swim-through heated indoor/outdoor pool, whirlpool, health club. Complimentary continental-plus breakfast. $79 - $135.
- Courtyard by Marriott Beckley, 124 Hylton Lane, 304-252-9800, . 106 rooms. Exercise room, indoor pool, whirlpool. Complimentary healthy breakfast buffet and morning newspaper. $60 - $120.
- Days Inn Beckley, 300 Harper Park Drive, 304-255-5291. 120 rooms. Seasonal outdoor swimming pool, fitness center. Complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. $50 - $99.
- Fairfield Inn Beckley, 125 Hylton Lane, 304-252-8661, . 89 rooms. Seasonal outdoor pool, whirlpool. $50 - 94.
- Hampton Inn, 110 Harper Park Drive, 304-252-2121. 108 rooms. Outdoor pool. Complimentary continental breakfast and newspaper. $50 - $90.
- Howard Johnson Express Inn, 1907 Harper Road, 304-255-5900. 50 rooms. Outdoor pool. $64 - $84.
- Microtel Inn Beckley, 2130 Harper Road, 304-256-2000, . 75 rooms. Indoor pool, whirlpool. Complimentary continental breakfast. $45 - $90.
- Park Inn and Suites, 134 Harper Park Drive, 304-255-9091. 55 rooms. Outdoor seasonal pool. Complimentary continental breakfast. $69 - $79.
- Quality Inn Beckley, 1924 Harper Road, 304-255-1511, . 103 rooms. Exercise room, heated outdoor pool. On-site restaurant and lounge called Morgan's Food and Spirits. Jacuzzi rooms available. Full complimentary breakfast buffet. $50 - $150.
- Red Carpet Inn, 2315 S Fayette Street, 304-252-7391. 21 rooms. Outdoor pool. Complimentary breakfast. $55.
- Super 8, 2014 Harper Road, 304-253-0802. 71 rooms. Fitness center. $59 - $79.
- The Resort at Glade Springs, 255 Resort Drive in Daniels, 866-575-0866, . Lodging for up to 350 people in The Inn, Manor Houses, Oak Lane Villas, Executive Suites, Chestnut Hill Lodges and Stone Manor. Two golf courses, fitness center, spa offering massages and facials, whirlpool, steam room, sauna, canoe and kayak rental, paddle boats, fly-fishing, clay skeet shooting, horseback and pony rides, bike riding, walking trails, day camps. Four on-site restaurants. $119 - $509 (double occupancy), $1000 (9-person manor).
Bed and Breakfasts
- Merritt House Bed & Breakfast, 1518 Harper Road, 304-253-5944, . 3 rooms. 1920s-style home. $60 - $85.
- Mavis Manor B & B Style Family Retreat, 122 Tower Rd, 888.628.4798, . 4 rooms. 1890's Queen Anne Victorian Manor, Flat Top, $85 - $200.
- Charleston is about 1 hour northwest on I-64 / I-77.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!
WikiPedia:Beckley, West Virginia