Bay City is a small city in the Gulf Coast region of Texas. It's on SH-35, about two hours from Houston, at the Colorado River.
Access exclusively by private car. From Houston, locate SH-35 (it crosses IH-45 just south of down town, inside the loop), and go south for about two hours.
Car, foot, bike, or taxi
- Colorado River (not the Grand Canyon river) passes through town.
- South Texas Project, a nuclear reactor, operates in the area.
- Bay City Public Library, 1100 7th Street (Go West on Hwy 35), ☎ 979-245-6931, . M-Th 10-7, F 10-6, Sat 10-4. Books, DVDS, Internet Computers, fax machine, copier, Children's programs, Teen programs, and more
- Matagorda County Birding Nature Center, ☎ 979-245-3336, . Great place for bird lovers or to take your kids to experience nature!
- Market Days, Around the Courthouse. On the third Saturday of the month, booths(of all kinds) surround the courthouse. You never know what you will find, and this is something you don't want to miss!
- Ricardo's Mexican Restaurant, 4408 7th St., ☎ 979-245-1461.
- K-2 Steakhouse, 1701 8th St (a block north of the courthouse), ☎ 979-245-6936. Some of the best food in town!
- Jalisco's Mexican Restaurant, 2416 Avenue F, ☎ 979-244-4228. Surprise - Tex-mex!
- China Chef Restaurant, 907 Avenue F, ☎ 979-245-4931. The best chinese food in town, but only one buffet table.
- Glenn's Country Style Bar-B-Q, 2901 6th St., ☎ 979-245-1403. Texas Barbecue.
- Neon Moon (The Moon), 5212 7th Street, ☎ (979) 245-5566. Beer bar. Karaoke and live music.
- K8's (Kate's), Corner of Ave I and 12th Street, ☎ 979-244-5283. Beer Bar. Karaoke, DJs, and Live music (Th-Sa). Thursday is Bike Night! One Wednesday a month is Metal Night. Themed nights including School Girl Night and Lingerie Night.
- Best Western Matagorda Hotel & Conference Center, 407 Seventh Street, ☎ +1 979 244-5400 (toll free: +1 800 245-5404, fax: +1 979 244-2706), .
- Holiday Inn Express, 920 Avenue F, ☎ +1 979 323-9500, .
- Lake Jackson is a nearby city with some things to do.
- Surfside and Surfside Beach, Bryan Beach, and Quintana Beach are south of Lake Jackson on SH-36. There are wide stretches of beaches with vehicle access and few people (at least compared to Galveston). The fishing is often very good, especially for shark and redfish.
- West Columbia has some interesting buildings about a hundred years old.
- Palacios is about a half hour south on SH-35 and has lots of old interesting houses and interesting restaurants.
- Galveston makes a great day trip and scenic drive. Head north on SH-35 to Lake Jackson, then south on SH-36 until you come to the Bluewater Highway (CR-332). Head north east (left) and follow the coast. The toll bridge at San Luis Pass costs about $2. The road then becomes Termini (CR-3005) and continues to Galveston.
- Houston is a major city with endless things to see and do, and is about ninety minutes north on SH-35.
WikiPedia:Bay City, Texas