Bastia is a city on the French island of Corsica.
From Bastia Airport, a bus runs almost every hour for €8 - timetable at the tourist information desk at the airport.
There are several national and international ferry routes from Bastia, to
Livorno (Italy) and
It is very busy during the summer, and it is always best to book early.
The Vieux Port ('Old Port') is a wonderful part of the city. Tall, faded buildings surround a marina with posh yachts. There's certainly something of the 'shabby chic' about the place.
One great location to eat is in one of the many restaurants in the Vieux Port. Most specialise in seafood.
- Le Jean Bart, Telephone: 04 95 31 36 31. For wonderful moules-frites and puddings.
- Maison Casanova, Sisco, ☎ 0495352015, . Located in a private estate of almost 4 hectares, Maison Casanova is an exclusive villa, beautiful, spacious, and elegant... but at the same time casual, comfortable, and peaceful. Here you will be transported to another era, to another pace of life; where you will totally disconnect from the stress of modern times and find yourself dreaming amongst spreading chestnut and olive trees, old stone churches, protected by ancient watchtowers. Come discover the tranquility, charm, and history of this exquisite 19th century demure.
- Pietracap, 20 Route de San Martino, . Luxury Hotel with Swimming Pool. Closed mid-Dec to Feb
- TwililightBlue Hotels, . Selection of Bastia Hotels
- Sud Hôtel, Avenue de la Libération (1 km from centre of town), ☎ 04.95.30.20.61.
A daily bus runs to Calvi (€20) as well as all other major Corsican cities, and trains run daily to Corte and Ajaccio.