Barstow  is a city in the southern desert of the state of California. The city's location at the junction of Interstate 15 and Interstate 40, as well as its position on the old Route 66, make it a frequent pit stop for travelers passing through on their way to more exotic destinations.
Barstow itself does not have commercial airline service. The closest commercial airport is LA/Ontario International Airport (IATA: ONT)  about a 1 hour 14 minute drive south of Barstow on Interstate 15, passing through Victorville en route.
Interstate 40 and Interstate 15, both major cross-country highways, intersect in Barstow. I-15 comes from Southern California to the south and the Las Vegas area to the north. I-40 comes from Northern Arizona. The historic (but decommissioned) Route 66 also passes through.
- Amtrak, 685 North First Avenue, . The Southwest Chief line stops in Barstow. The westbound train stops in Barstow at 3:40AM and the eastbound stops at 9:55PM, so plan accordingly.
Greyhound has a bus station here in Barstow
The downtown area of Barstow is small enough to easily get around by walking.
Main Street, L Street, Rimrock Road, and Montera Road encircle Barstow, while Barstow Road bisects the city.
Barstow is a small town with no traffic problems.
- Barstow Area Transit, ☎ +1 760 255-3330, . M-F- 7AM-7PM, Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 8AM-4PM. BAT provides service on three bus lines that run hourly. For areas not covered by the routes, dial-a-ride service (+1 760 256-0311) is available. $1.25, Senior/disabled $0.65, children 6-17 $1, under 5 free..
- Desert Discovery Center, 831 Barstow Road, ☎ +1 760 252-6060, . The highlight of the DDC is the 6,700 pound (3,039 kg) Old Woman Meteorite, the second largest meteorite ever found in the United States.
- Main Street Murals, (See website for a map of locations), . 24 hours. A series of 16 murals depicting the history of Barstow are painted on the sides of buildings along Main Street. A note of interest is that all of the murals have jackrabbit painted into them, some obvious, some require searching. Free.
- Mojave River Valley Museum, 270 E. Virginia Way (Exit I-15 at Barstow Road, go north two blocks then turn left.), ☎ +1 760-256-5452 (email@example.com), . Daily 11AM-4PM except Christmas Day. Presents the history of the Mojave River Valley from the arrival of Father Garces in 1776 through the space program. Free.
- Route 66 Museum, 681 N. First Ave., ☎ +1 760 255-1890 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 760 256-6776), . F-Su 10AM-4PM. Route 66 museum and gift shop. Housed in the historic 1911 Casa Del Desierto building. Free.
- Western America Railroad Museum, 685 N. First Ave., ☎ +1 760 256-9276 (email@example.com), . F-Su 11AM-4PM. Housed in the historic 1911 Casa Del Desierto building, the Western America Railway Museum showcases railroad history with indoor and outdoor displays of railroad rolling stock as well as model railroad displays. Free. (34.904762,)
- Calico Early Man Site, (Located 15 miles northeast of Barstow. Take Interstate 15 north and exit Minneola Road. Follow the signs 2 miles north on graded dirt roads to the site.). Guided tours: W - 1:30PM and 3:30PM, Th-Su - 9:30AM, 11:30AM, 1:30PM, and 3:30PM. This archaeological site is the location of a stone tool workshop, quarry, and camp site used by nomadic hunters and gatherers around 200,000 years ago, one of the oldest sites found in North America. Adults $5, Children (12 and under) $1, Seniors (62 and over) $2.
- Rainbow Basin Natural Area, (North on Irwin Road for 6 miles, turn left onto Fossil Bed Road, then follow the signs to Fossil Canyon Loop Road.), ☎ +1 760 252-6000 (fax: +1 760 252-6098), . Rainbow Basin is a natural basin that features fantastic and beautiful shapes in its rock formations. The road is one-way narrow dirt road is best driven with a high clearance or four-wheel drive vehicles. Free.
- Skyline Drive-In - As one of the last drive-ins in San Bernardino County, this is a chance to experience the classical drive-in cinema under the dark desert sky, while seeing the newest blockbusters. It frequently has packed nights on new movie openings and even has a small, but fully functional diner attached. You have to bring your car (obviously). If you wonder why you are not hearing any sound - it is broadcast on FM 104.1 on your car radio (for main screen). Open 7 nights/7, there are two separate screens each showing two new movies per night. Entrance fee 6$/person. About 3/10 of a miles (500 m)from exit "Old Highway 58" on the I-15 on your right, just before Soap Mine Rd.
- Lenwood Mall One of the largest merchant outlet malls in the country is just South of Barstow along Interstate 15. Dozens and dozens of places to shop for virtually every name brand merchandise one can think of. There are plenty of places to eat for the weary traveler too.
- A Tanger Outlet Mall is right across the street.
- Jenny's Grill Steak & Mariscos, 1231 E. Main St., ☎ +1 760 255-1500 (fax: +1 760 256-8020). M-Sa 7:30AM-10PM, Su 7:30AM-9PM. A family run Mexican restaurant located less than a mile from I-15. Good food, and reasonable prices with dinner entrees starting around $6.
- McDonald's Barstow Station, 1611 E. Main St., ☎ +1 760 256-0812. Lobby - Daily 5AM-11P, Drive-thru - Daily 24 hours. If not the largest McDonald's in the world, it is certainly the most unique. Barstow Station is a McDonald's with an ice cream shop, candy store, gas station and the home of several radio stations that broadcast to travelers crossing the Mojave Desert. The most unique aspect of Barstow Station is the eating area. You can dine in old train cars and enjoy the view of travelers passing through this town. There is also a stand inside that sells homemade fudge.
- Lola's Kitchen, 1244 E. Main St., ☎ +1 760 255-1007. M-F 4AM-7:30PM, Sa 4AM-4:30PM. Excellent Mexican food located inside the Von's shopping center. Cash only.
- Del Taco, 2871 Lenwood Rd., ☎ +1 760 253-2641. Opened in 1964, this is one of the first Del Tacos (the chain started in Barstow) and has an extensive menu, serving otherwise long discontinued offerings.
- Idle Spurs Steakhouse (Idle Spurs), 690 Old Highway 58, ☎ +1 760 256-8888 (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Tu-F 11AM-9PM, Sa-Su 4PM-9PM. Closed New Year's Day, 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.. Situated in a renovated house just outside of the Main St. district, big steaks, full bar, homey atmosphere, music on the weekends. $10-35.
- Best Western Desert Villa Inn, 1984 E. Main Street, ☎ +1 760 256-1781 (brett@Innvestment.net, fax: +1 760 256-9265), . checkin: 2PM; checkout: 11AM. Swimming pool, complimentary continental breakfast and Internet access. Pet friendly. $65-130 (Doubles).
- Holiday Inn Express Barstow-Historic Route 66, 1861 W. Main Street, ☎ +1 760 256-1300 (email@example.com, fax: +1 760 256-6807), . checkin: 3PM; checkout: 11AM. Swimming pool, workout center, complimentary continental breakfast and Internet access. Pet friendly. $100-110 (Doubles).
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, 2700 Lenwood Road, ☎ +1 760-253-9200, . $100-220 (Doubles).
- Motel 6, 150 Yucca Avenue, ☎ +1 760-256-1752 (fax: +1 760-256-9110), . $45-55 (Doubles).
- Rodeway Inn, 1261 East Main Street, ☎ +1 760-256-7581. $40-60 (Doubles).
- Stardust Inn, 901 E Main St, ☎ +1 760-256-7116. $35-60 (Doubles).
- Calico Ghost Town, 36600 Ghost Town Rd., Yermo (13 mi. (21 km) east on I-15), ☎ +1 760 254-2122 (firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: +1 760 254-2047), . Daily 9AM–5PM except Christmas Day. A family destnation with mines, gunfights, and more. A short train ride gives a brief history of the town and the surrounding desert. $6, Youth 6-15 - $6, under 5 free..
- Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex, ☎ +1 760 255-8688 (contact Karla Warner) (Kwarner@jgld.gdscc.nasa.gov), . 35 mi. (65 km) north - Guided tours of the 53 square mile (137 km2) complex housing the massive antennas that NASA uses to communicate with its deep space missions to the planets. All tours must be scheduled in advance. Note that the tour requires entry to the Fort Irwin Army Base so ID is required and vehicles may be searched. Free.
- Barstow to Fort Irwin bus, ☎ +1 760 380-3598, . Tu, Th, and Sa. Bus service between the Fort Irwin Army Base and the city of Barstow. $2.75.
- B-V Link, ☎ +1 760 948-3030, . M, W, Th 7:50AM-6PM. Bus service between Barstow and Victorville. One way $6, round trip $12, seniors/disabled are half price..
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!