Barnaul (Russian: Барнау́л buhr-nuh-OOL) is the capital of Altai Krai.
The Building with spire, one of the city's landmarks
The city was founded in the XVIII century as a center of silver and copper mining, and has a population of over 600,000.
The house of merchants Yakovlev and Polyakov
The foundation year of the city is unknown and is either 1730 or 1739. The name of founding father is Akinfey Demidov, a Russian mine-owner who started copper extraction and melting in the region. Later on his business spread to the gold and silver and the family reached all-Russian scale. The city became a fort and built a dam. This activity was major for centuries to come. Except that, nature and geography explorers never abandoned this Siberian place. Pyotr Petrovich Semyonov-Tyan-Shansky  and Alexander von Humboldt  lead their expeditions across the city.
The travel from Moscow takes 2.5 days and covers 3500km.
- №036В/№036Н Barnaul — Moscow — Barnaul — 1st class train «Altai»
- №509/№510 Barnaul — Omsk — Adler - Barnaul — from 16 June to 1 September.
- №613/№614 Barnaul — Karasuk — Barnaul.
German Titov airport  is located 17km west from the city center and serves flights from Krasnodar, Moscow, Irkutsk, Anapa, Rostov-on-Don, Vladivostok, Saint Petersburg.
- Altai museum of regional studies  offers expositions of ethnographical artefacts.
- Museum of literature, art and culture of Altai .
- Altai Museum of Art. Malevich, Kandinsky, Rembrandt.
- 'World of Stones' museum. Adress: 5b, Kalinina st.
- Museum of military history. Adress: 73, Komsomolsky Pr. Hours: 9.30-17.30 Tu-Sa.
- Izumrudny Park (Парк "Изумрудный"), for families with kids.
- Solnechny Veter (Парк "Солнечный ветер").
- Barnaulskaya Krepost (Парк "Барнаульская крепость").
- Lesnaya Skazka (Парк "Лесная сказка").
- House Club (Клуб Хаус), 15, Solnechnaya Polyana. Restaurant, sauna, hooka-lounge, disco floor and bowling.
- Manhattan Pizza (Манхэттен-Пицца), Trade-centers 'Holiday classic' (Холидей классик) or 'City center' (Сити-Центр). A chain of pretty good fast-food resaurants.
- Zapravka (Заправка, гриль-бар), 51a, Kirova st, ☎ +7(3852) 200-100. 12:00 - 2:00. It's a grill bar.
- Kabak&grill 'Pistols', 44a, Soyuza Respublik st, (email@example.com), . 11:00 – 03:00 Tu-Th, Su; 11:00 – 05:00 Mo,Fr,Sa. 'Wild West' styled restaurant capable to accomodate 250 presons, it has a long bar-stand,a dance-floor and live music at nights. Variety of dishes from American, Mexican, Japanese and Italian cuisines.
- Sibirskaya Korona (Сибирская корона), 116, Sotsialisticheskiy Prospekt; 113, Lenina Prospekt; 20, Lenina st, . 09:00–24:00. Beer restaurant with Russia-brewed beer 'Sibirskaya Korona' and traditional food.
- English Pub, 57a, Chkalova st, (firstname.lastname@example.org). 13.00 - 3.00. Wooden tables and chairs, British music, darts and flags
- Il Patio, 20, Lenina st. 12:00–24:00. Italian cuisine
- Alexander House (Александр Хаус), 4,Profinterna st, ☎ +7(3852) 619-300 (email@example.com). 26 rooms ranging from luxurious to economy classes
- Hotel Altai (Гостиница Алтай), 24, Prospekt Lenina, ☎ +7(3852) 23-92-47.
- Hotel Barnaul (Гостиница Барнаул), 135,Krasnoarmeiskiy Prospekt, ☎ +7(3852) 62-62-22, .
- Hotel Berezka (Березка), 260, Pavlovsky trakt, (firstname.lastname@example.org), . Located 26km off the city, the hotel has 7 rooms, a swimming pool and a sauna
- Hotel Kolos (Колос), 25, Molodezhnaya st, ☎ +7(3852) 62-40-48.
- Hotel Laletin (Гостиница Лалетин), 34,Malo-Tobolskaya st, ☎ (3852) 38-00-21, 63-54-21 (email@example.com).
The road to Mongolia aka Chuysky Highway starts from Barnaul and goes through Biysk.