Discussion on defining district borders for Barcelona is in progress. If you know the city pretty well, please share your opinion on the talk page.
The Eixample is the quarter designed during the middle of the 19th century by Ildefons Cerdà, expanding the medieval city of Barcelona into space left empty for defense outside the citywalls. It's an enormous field of rectangular blocks in an continuously repeating layout, with the constant thread of getting lost (at least for those used to european cities. Eixample contains most of the modernist buildings, including La Pedrera, Casa Batlló and La Sagrada Família. A very interesting example for planned urban development and subsequent re-planing and restucturing.
|This guide uses the following price ranges for a typical meal for one, including soft drink:
|| Up to €10
|| €10 - €25
|| €25 and up
- Madrid-Barcelona - C/Aragó 282 (map), next to Passeig de Gràcia. So named because it was formerly a traveler's bar when the trains used to pass in front of it. This is a very convenient restaurant for three reasons: It's very close to La Pedrera and the other monuments in Passeig de Gràcia, it serves good and quite typical food in a place with history, and the prices are very moderate for the zone where is located. About 12€. Most dishes are fried things, such as pescadito frito.
- Lactuca, C/ Provenza 427 (right next to Sagrada Familia), . All-you-can eat self-service restaurant offering a great salad bar, daily soups, mediocre pastas and pizzas, dessert and coffee for a flat price. You can also do take-away for a few euros per box. Weekday lunch €8.50, dinner or weekend lunch €10.30.
- La Periñaca, C/ Diputació 131, ☎ 93-4513685. Local joint serving up basic but tasty Spanish grub in low-key surroundings. The daily menus have a choice of options and include a starter, a main, a dessert, bread and half a bottle of wine. Lunch/dinner €8/9.
- Cerveceria Catalana - overpriced, and a rip off don't get forced to go upstairs to restaurant part , quite boring and well above average pricing for what you actually get.looks nice form the outside though. but dont be fooled.Some guy name PACO ripped us of - best avioded.Charged £60 for 4 tapas dishes with soft drinks included only. c/ Mallorca at Rambla Catalunya ETA (BCN Restaurants)
- El Ùltimo Agave - a real Mexican restaurant, no tex-mex here. Aragó 193 (map)
- Gaya Cosmopolitan Lounge Restaurant C/Compte Borrell, 122 just above Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes, . Very original decor. Excellent food at a very reasonable price. Fridays and Saturdays they have chillout sessions with live DJ.
- COCOON Lounge Restaurant - C/Londres, 87 The best place to eat in the area is COCOON Lounge Restaurant, between Muntaner and Casanovas. This is an amazingly cozy restaurant, very inexpensive for the extremely high quality of the food and products used. The cuisine is very unique and the presentation of the plates quite unique. The restaurant is modern in design, very comfortable with awesome service.
- Drolma at Hotel Majestic is one of the best places to eat, but is very expensive.
Eixample is the zone with the most night bars and clubs. The famous zone Gayxample, around C/Balmes and C/Diputació has many gay ambient bars and shops.
- Arena has three dance floors. It was the first big gay ambient bar in the city.
- COCOON Lounge Restaurant C/Londres, 87 Between Muntaner and Casanovas, is also a great place to have a drink. Awesome ambience, soft music, perfect for a cocktail or a smoothie.
L'Eixample is the place where most of the medium and expensive hotels are located. This quarter is very well connected with the rest of the city, although if you go by car it's impossible to park in the street.
- Centric Point Hostel, Passeig de Gracia 33, ☎ +34 93 231 2045 (email@example.com), . Opened January 2006. Doubles, quads, and 6/8/10 person dorms - all en-suite except 10 person dorms. Kitchen facilities, common room, free Internet, Wi-Fi. From €17.5 for a dorm bed.
- Bohemia Barcelona, Calle Rossellon 195, +34 620 682 682, . is a newly renovated hostel located in a modernist building in the Eixample. Located in a former Pension, this 300m2 hostel has been renovated in a special way blending modern comforts with old-school features. High ceilings and large panoramic paintings are blended with the modern comforts of en-suite rooms, modern shower units and colourful interiors to comfortably accommodate all visitors to Barcelona in a friendly open environment. Clean, friendly and good value, just next to Rambla Catalunya and Passeig de Gracia. The hostel's huge terrace is a great place to relax when you've had too much of the Barcelona pace of life and you just want to chill out. There's an outhouse with relaxing sofas and retro furniture, a reading library, deck chairs & hammocks, picnic tables and depending on the season, BBQ facilities… Run by an Irish-Catalan company, it offers en-suite double rooms for around 60 euros per night, private twins/doubles from 50 euros and 4-bed dorm bed rooms from 17.50 euros pppn.
- Pere Tarrés Youth Hostel, . A hostel located near the top of Diagonal (a rather swish area). It is very safe and good fun, offering a restaurant, bar, tv area, ping pong tables, kitchen, free internet, and sheets and breakfast included in the price. Book online; there are often good deals on the hostel's web site.
Hostals and Pensions
- Hostal Barcelona City Centre, . A hostal three streets away from Catalunya square. Rooms with bathroom, tv, satellite, air-conditioned.
- Guesthouse Barcelona City Urquinaona, . A charming guesthouse, perfect if you come to Barcelona with Ryanair.
- Hotel del Comte, Diputació, 142-148 (50m from L1 Urgell, Autobus), ☎ +34-902393930, . 1 km from La Rambla. Renovated in 2007 and now boasts super-slick rooms with glass and marble bathrooms, flat panel TVs, free Wi-Fi. Problems with 3rd-party bookings reported, so book directly. From €80.
- Abba Sants Hotel , C/ Numancia , 32, Tel: (+34) 93 600 31 00, . This hotel is strategically located in the city centre, in a quite area next to a green area. The hotel is easily accessed from El Prat airport, and only 5 minutes from the Barcelona Fairgrounds and the Palacio de Congresos of Montjuïc.
- Best Western Premier Hotel Regina Bergara 2-4. The Hotel Regina is located next to Plaza Cataluña, right in the heart of Eixample, where the city's two most cosmopolitan avenues begin: Paseo de Gracia and Las Ramblas. About €100 per night for a double room with bath and breakfast.
- Granados 83, Enric Granados 83, Barcelona 08008, +34 902 244 246, . Set in a 19th century hospital, it has been converted into a Nouveau Art Decó styled hotel. Its structure of oxidised iron is reminiscent of New York's Soho old loft, and it stands in contrast with the stone and glass façade and the elegant, minimalist zen styled interiors.
- HCC Covadonga, Avda Diagnal 596, Tel: (+34 93) 2095511. The HCC Covadonga Hotel is situated on the main avenue, in the heart of downtown Barcelona, near key attractions, shopping and the business district. Recently renovated, this hotel offers all the modern conveniences. It's also only 2 km to Barcelona City Centre and only 1 km from Sants Rail Station.
- Hotel Contado, C/ Aribau 201, ES-8021, Tel (+34) 932002311, . A 3* hotel located at the business and shopping hub of Barcelona's Avinguda Diagonal.
- Hotel Gran Via, Gran Via Corts Catalanes 642, Tel. (+34) 933 181 900. Very central, and originally a palace, the public spaces of the hotel live up to that history. The rooms are large, but otherwise relatively modest. About €80 per night for a double room with bath.
- Hotel Silken Concordia, Avenida Paralelo 115. This is a very nice hotel that is located on a major street in Barcelona. The metro station "Poble Sec" is right across from the hotel. If you prefer to walk you can reach "La Rambla" and all the major atrractions in downtown Barcelona in just 15 minutes. The rooms are spacious, the furniture is almost like new, and the staff is quite friendly. The price is worth it: 90 Euros per night for a double.
- Hotel Omm, +34 93 445 40 00, . Located in Barcelona's fashionable Passeig de Gràcia district, featuring elegant rooms with adaptable lighting. Award-winning haute cuisine restaurant. Rates from EUR 290 - EUR 500 per night.